Top 5 most desired, completely unreleased Williams?

Thor

Enough with the expansion talk already! What is your 5 most desired John Williams music that has had no release whatsoever (or at most, a theme or suite on some compilation). Bootlegs don't count.

I'm not going to do a poll about it, as the choices are so many, but I've provided a list below that you can choose from (let me know if I've left out anything):

FILMS:

SILENT FILM - PIANO DUET

A TIMELESS CALL

THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS

PETE'N'TILLIE

THE SCREAMING WOMAN

STORIA DI UNA DONNA

DADDY'S GONE A-HUNTING

SERGEANT RYKER

THE PLAINSMAN

THE RARE BREED

THE KATHERINE REED STORY

THE KILLERS

NIGHTMARE IN CHICAGO

GIDGET GOES TO ROME

THE SECRET WAYS

BECAUSE THEY'RE YOUNG

I PASSED FOR WHITE

DADDY-O

TV SHOWS:

List found here:

http://www.jwfan.com...showtopic=21563

CONCERT WORKS:

PIANO SONATA

WIND QUINTET

SYMPHONY NO. 1

ESPLANADE OVERTURE (even though it's basically "Meeting in Sicily")

CELEBRATION FANFARE

WE'RE LOOKING GOOD

FANFARE FOR MICHAEL DUKAKIS

FANFARE FOR TEN-YEARS-OLD

FANFARE FOR FENWAY

CONCERT FOR CLARINET AND ORCHESTRA (I won't count the horrible-sounding mp3 release)

SEVEN FOR LUCK

FOR SEJII

SOUNDINGS

CONCERTO FOR VIOLA AND ORCHESTRA

CONCERTO FOR OBOE AND ORCHESTRA

YOUNG PERSON'S GUIDE TO THE CELLO

QUARTET LA JOLLA

Personally, my list would look like this at the present time (there are some I want more, but that I have acquired in unofficial format, so the need is not so pressing):

1. STORIA DI UNA DONNA

2. SYMPHONY NO. 1

3. ALCOA PREMIERE THEATRE

4. THE RARE BREED (the existing suite shows how wonderful this score is)

5. GIDGET GOES TO ROME

SUGARLAND EXPRESS is an important score to get out (for the Spielberg connection), but not that interesting beyond the theme.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote for Sugarland Express as well.

Oh, and

FANFARE FOR TEN-YEAR-OLDS

Dude, it's "Fanfare For Ten-Years-Old", lol. It's not a celebration of children, its a celebration of 10 year anniversary.

I vote for Sugarland Express as well.

Oh, and

FANFARE FOR TEN-YEAR-OLDS

Dude, it's "Fanfare For Ten-Years-Old", lol. It's not a celebration of children, its a celebration of 10 year anniversary.

Right you are. I always keep mixing that up. It's music for a youth company, though, so not THAT far off! :)

Here's my list of most wanted pieces (in good quality sound).

E.T. Botanicus Theme

NBC Rodeo Theme

Celebration Fanfare

Fanfare for Michael Dukakis

Fanfare for Ten Years Old

Olympic Bumpers based on Olympic Fanfare and Themes

Great Performances in higher than 128k bitrate

There's some in your list we have in good quality "unofficial" releases. Sorry but I count them

There's some in your list we have in good quality "unofficial" releases. Sorry but I count them

I know. But nothing beats a fullfledged official release!

I've never heard of that Rodeo theme, by the way.

Zero. I am now content with the amount of John Williams in my collection and/or for sale. In fact, I probably have too much and need to start thinning the herd.

Zero. I am now content with the amount of John Williams in my collection and/or for sale. In fact, I probably have too much and need to start thinning the herd.

I might do that at some point in time too. But first, I need to thin out the rest of my physical collection. And that's a LOT!

I would have many of them of course, as I want to hear everything that JW composed :)

However, a few of the titles/works mentioned are quite impossible to get out, as they're nowhere to be found. Very early concert works like the Piano Sonata or the Wind Quintet are very unlikely, as probably they only exist in Williams' own library. We also know that Williams himself retired the First Symphony from his catalogue, so it's quite unlikely anyone will record it until he's around (unless he plans to revise it in the future).

I'd really love to have proper official recordings of his concerti for Clarinet, Oboe and Viola, no doubt. And I'd really love if someone would record the gorgeous Seven for Luck song cycle one day.

As for film and TV scores, I do really hope most of them will be released at some point. One of my dreams would be a boxset with a collection of selected television scores for anthology series like Alcoa Premiere Theatre and Kraft Suspense Theatre.

As for film and TV scores, I do really hope most of them will be released at some point. One of my dreams would be a boxset with a collection of selected television scores for anthology series like Alcoa Premiere Theatre and Kraft Suspense Theatre.

Indeed. The mind boggles at the thought!

Indeed. I listened to half the footwarmer and don't care about the rest, because it's just the same harmonica melody over and over again. Yawn.

Just like EMPIRE is just the Imperial March over and over again.

I'd probably want "TSE" most of all.

Have either "Essay For Strings", or "Seven For Luck" ever been released?

Long ago I read in Starlog that there was an unreleased "Cantina band 3"...

"Essay for Strings" has been released (twice). "Seven for Luck" has no official release.

Story of a Woman.

...and then everything else. :lick: But most of the rest I either have, or have some of, that I'm satisfied enough with in its current form, *or* I've never heard a note of and desire only based on what I've read.

I know Story of a Woman has a killer theme, and I want to hear more.

I would have many of them of course, as I want to hear everything that JW composed :)

(Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y) (Y)

I watched a ton of Gilligand's Island growing up so I'd love to have some of that music released. I don't know any of those early films, so any of them would peak my interest. It's always awesome to hear some Williams that I'm 100% unfamiliar with.

I just stumbled across this, I believe it was written around the year 2000. I'd always been curious about this, I remember it being reported at the time it was composed and performed but then it seemed to drop off the radar:

Yup, I've added it to the list. It totally slipped my mind, that silent movie thingie. But I remember it now that you mention it.

Hmmm....seems like it IS spelled 'Fanfare for TEN-YEAR-OLDS" after all, not "Ten-Years-Old" -- in other words a fanfare for the kids in the Young Charleston Theater Company, not the company's 10-year anniversary.

Thor, you have to add the Fenway Park fanfare

I just stumbled across this, I believe it was written around the year 2000. I'd always been curious about this, I remember it being reported at the time it was composed and performed but then it seemed to drop off the radar:

I grabbed the 720p video off you tube, but is there a better audio recording of this somewhere?

Hmmm....seems like it IS spelled 'Fanfare for TEN-YEAR-OLDS" after all, not "Ten-Years-Old" -- in other words a fanfare for the kids in the Young Charleston Theater Company, not the company's 10-year anniversary.

How do you know?

How do you know?

Jeff Eldridge said it over at FSM, and he's probably the greatest authority on John Williams right now. Besides, in my 25 years of being a JW fan, I've always seen it written as "Ten-Year-Olds". Up untill recently, where some confusion seems to have arisen.

I think you could also count the Great Performances theme

The 128k rip from the internet radio show is better than nothing but isn't exactly stellar sounding either

E.T. Adventure Theme is very important too.

And the 2008 extended concert versions of Marion's Theme and Irina's Theme are high on my wish list

This list is getting small!

Small? Not really, and definitely not if you count the TV work. There are about 150 CD's worth of material just there.

I think you could also count the Great Performances theme

The 128k rip from the internet radio show is better than nothing but isn't exactly stellar sounding either

E.T. Adventure Theme is very important too.

And the 2008 extended concert versions of Marion's Theme and Irina's Theme are high on my wish list

Well, E.T. already has several releases, so I didn't count the various interpretations floating around out there, whether for theme parks or anything else (plus, did Williams have anything to do with the Botanicos thing?).

You never heard it? It's a totally original piece based on one of the E.T. themes (the motif that opens Three Million Light Years from Home) that Williams wrote for the park ride

Has nothing to do with what's on the c.d.'s

You never heard it? It's a totally original piece based on one of the E.T. themes that Williams wrote for the park ride

Has nothing to do with what's on the c.d.'s

Yes, I have that track (in a less-than-stellar-sounding bootleg format), but I didn't include it as it's basically just a variation of his E.T. music. Same with the INDY rides and other material based upon the original scores. But I didn't know it was Williams himself who adapted it for the park ride, so thanks for that. I thought someone else had arranged his music.

Well, now that you mention it.

Is there any concrete proof that Williams arranged that piece? It does sound like he did though

Ricard used to list it in the Complete Works section but I don't see it anymore