What are the differences between Raiders March and Tintin's Heroic Theme in terms of what they express?

Josh500

Which do you prefer? (I am sure RM will win, but who knows? Maybe some of you prefer this "new and fresh" heroic theme by JW!)  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Raiders March
    • Tintin's Heroic Theme

If you take the most heroic renditions of Raiders March ("Flight from Peru," "Desert Chase," "The German Sub") and the most heroic renditions of Tintin's Heroic Theme ("Escape from Karaboudjan" and "Pursuit of the Falcon"), that is. Do you think these 2 themes are interchangeable? Why? Why not?

In my opinion, the Raiders March is overly optimistic and cheerful, very heroic but slightly clumsy and funny too; it perfectly expresses the sense of Indy "being in over his head (yet again!)."

Tintin's Theme on the other hand strikes me as less optimistic, less cheerful, not clumsy or funny whatsoever; it's still very heroic but somewhat in a bookish, studious, and more detached way (I am not sure whether you'd agree here, but tell me what you think!). In a way, it's more "balanced" than Raiders March, i.e. there isn't as much going on here, emotionally (although the fact that Tintin's theme is considerably shorter may have something to do with it, of course).

Well? What's your opinion?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tintin actually doesn't have just one but 3 different thematic identities in the film. There is the main heroic theme, the secondary sleuthing/action theme and finally the small quirky motif for solving riddles. Williams treats each of these areas with its own thematic idea and I would love to hear him combine all three into a concert suite. :)

I've been underestimating this theme for some time... Sure, there's Haddock's Theme, the Dueling theme, Snowy's theme, etc. which are all more complex than Tintin's theme, but Tintin's theme is quite wonderful to listen to!

The closest thing to Raiders March and Luke Skywalker's theme JW wrote, maybe. Well, in terms of a heroic theme played principally by a trumpet (or a French horn), that is.

Tintin actually doesn't have just one but 3 different thematic identities in the film. There is the main heroic theme, the secondary sleuthing/action theme and finally the small quirky motif for solving riddles. Williams treats each of these areas with its own thematic idea and I would love to hear him combine all three into a concert suite. :)

Yes. Definitely!

And if JW does Tintin 2 as well, maybe we'll get more themes associated with Tintin and his escapades! :)

Tintin's theme, of course ;)

Just so we all know what we're talking about... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31sdNPbBL3o

Tintin's theme is an enormous missed opportunity. Quite possibly Williams' least memorable theme for a titular character. It's grown on me a bit, but mostly only in the statements where the orchestration is interesting enough to overcome the melodic mediocrity. The Raiders March, on the other hand, is brilliant and memorable, and it wins easily.

Tintin's theme is an enormous missed opportunity. Quite possibly Williams' least memorable theme for a titular character. It's grown on me a bit, but mostly only in the statements where the orchestration is interesting enough to overcome the melodic mediocrity. The Raiders March, on the other hand, is brilliant and memorable, and it wins easily.

Let me guess. Tintin's theme rubs you the wrong way! :P

But I gotta say, I disagree with you. Tintin's theme is perfect for the character. And as to orchestration... an interesting orchestration is needed for Raiders March too, duh. Still, yeah, a concert version on the OS album would have been nice... although, of course, we might still be getting that!

I'll have to agree with datameister. sadly, tintin's theme didn't do much for me at all. same thing with the whole score.

ok... sir francis and the unicorn is pretty fantastic, I must admit.

I'll have to agree with datameister. sadly, tintin's theme didn't do much for me at all. same thing with the whole score.

ok... sir francis and the unicorn is pretty fantastic, I must admit.

Well to each their own. ;)

But for me, it's fast becoming one of my all-time favorite scores, on the same level as HP 1-3.

I went with the Raiders March. It is more thoroughly developed I feel even though I like the Tintin theme very much.

I think Tintin's themes are fantastic but they're really not in the spotlight of this score like Indy's theme was in Raiders. I think in Tintin the main thing would be the Unicorn's theme.

(What I like about Tintin's theme in its most complete version is how it goes down and jumps, jumps again further, and then falls and manages to jump and finally "fly". In my humble opinion it's a quite expressive moment)

I think Tintin's themes are fantastic but they're really not in the spotlight of this score like Indy's theme was in Raiders. I think in Tintin the main thing would be the Unicorn's theme.

Hmmm yes. But surely that's because Tintin's Heroic Theme (and his other 2 themes) aren't played over the end credits, and they didn't get a concert arrangement on the OS album.

And I am thinking that this might have been done by JW on purpose... because Tintin is not supposed to be the center of attention, like Indy. He is just a blank figure without much character who gets drawn into one adventure after another.

I think Tintin's theme gets used quite a LOT throughout the movie, though . . . whenever Tintin does even something slightly heroic, or just when he is the focus of attention.

But anyway, I think we all agree, the themes in Tintin are quite solid.

Compare, for example, the themes in Tintin with the (new) themes from KotCS! Mutt's Theme, the Crystal theme, Irina's theme, hell even the theme of the Russians...

No comparison, if you ask me!

Irina's theme and the theme for the Russians are fantastic in my opinion.

Well, they are not bad by any means, but I think any theme from Tintin is better (more memorable, effective, well-constructed) than these 2.

Yes. I mean, the Tintin themes are good, but I don't think they're half as good as KOTCS. Then again, I know I'm in a minority with Call of the Crystal.

:blink:

Well, if you really think so, I won't argue with you. To be honest, personally I still can't get into the Crystal theme...

But for me (and for most of us, I am sure) the score to Tintin is far superior to the score to KotCS... and I am not talking about just the main themes, of course.

I like them all, except Mutt's music, which never clicked with me. The underscore of KOTCS is a bit boring at times with moments on coolnes here and there (mushroom cloud!!). Tintin is a score with a quite exciting and colourful underscore all throurough, which is I think thereason why some prefer it to KOTCS.

Jeez, you sound like I've personally insulted you.

Is Tintin as a score better than KOTCS? As a whole it probably is. But theme by theme, I'd personally pick KOTCS any time. Both have the fact that I get bored listening to them relatively easily in common.

And WAR HORSE tramples over both with a big neigh.

I like them all, except Mutt's music, which never clicked with me. The underscore of KOTCS is a bit boring at times with moments on coolnes here and there (mushroom cloud!!). Tintin is a score with a quite exciting and colourful underscore all throurough, which is I think thereason why some prefer it to KOTCS.

Well, even if you put Tintin's theme aside for a moment, consider the Scroll theme, Sir Red Rackham's theme, Snowy's Theme, Haddock's theme, the villain's theme, the Unicorn theme...

Man! These are maybe some of the best (and most original) themes JW wrote, IMO!

Jeez, you sound like I've personally insulted you.

Why in the world would you get that impression? I was just a little surprised, that's all...

Is Tintin as a score better than KOTCS? As a whole it probably is. But theme by theme, I'd personally pick KOTCS any time. Both have the fact that I get bored listening to them relatively easily in common.

Like I said, I won't argue with you if you really think so. ;)

I dunno, pretty much every main theme from Tintin is based on Tintin's theme, so even if the theme itself doesn't get a lot of playing time in the film, its variations do.

I dunno, pretty much every main theme from Tintin is based on Tintin's theme,

Haddock's Theme, the Scroll Theme, the villain's theme, Sir Red Rackham's Theme, the Dueling Theme, Snowy's theme are based on Tintin's Theme?

so even if the theme itself doesn't get a lot of playing time in the film

But it does!

Any more, and people would be comparing it to Hedwig's theme in PS!

I went with the Raiders March. It is more thoroughly developed I feel even though I like the Tintin theme very much.

Development is overrated. When you strip both themes to their essence, it becomes clear that Tintin is the product of a subtler and more mature compositional voice.

Indeed, in comparison the Raiders March comes of as gaudy, obvious and unsophisticated. Of course JW can hardly be blamed for this, since this was much earlier in his career, when he had not yet established his true style. It wasn't until scores like Nixon, Rosewood and in particular Sleepers that the modern, immaculate style of John Williams would seen the light of day.

Tintin

Wait until it will have many different takes in the fortcoming Tintin sequels, after

raising to it to the full glory via many modulation. JW at his best.

Now you are used to all JW's three Indy scores. You will wait and see.

I dunno, pretty much every main theme from Tintin is based on Tintin's theme,

Haddock's Theme, the Scroll Theme, the villain's theme, Sir Red Rackham's Theme, the Dueling Theme, Snowy's theme are based on Tintin's Theme?

Just Haddock, Unicorn theme, Adventure Continues, and Snowy's theme. But Sir Francis' theme is based on Haddock's theme, and the Red Rackam's theme is based on Sakharine's theme.

Development is overrated. When you strip both themes to their essence, it becomes clear that Tintin is the product of a subtler and more mature compositional voice.

You hit the nail on the head! That's exactly what I was thinking too... :)

Tintin's theme is deceptively simple, and yet incredibly well thought through, IMO. The melody is not as obviously and blatantly heroic as Indy's theme, and yet it fits Tintin's heroic character perfectly!

Indeed, in comparison the Raiders March comes of as gaudy, obvious and unsophisticated.

Are you being sarcastic? :blink:

Raiders March may be a little gaudy and obvious, but there's nothing unsophisticated about it! Besides, Indy himself is a little gaudy and obvious, so the theme fits perfectly here too.

Tintin

Wait until it will have many different takes in the fortcoming Tintin sequels, after

raising to it to the full glory via many modulation. JW at his best.

Now you are used to all JW's three Indy scores. You will wait and see.

Yes!!

You really think Raiders March is unsophisticated?

you agree with Hlao Roo???

Yeah, this might be the first time that ever happened! :lol:

Well, even so, I happen to agree with him there!

When you strip both themes to their essence, it becomes clear that Tintin is the product of a subtler and more mature compositional voice.