Close Encounters of the Third Kind vs. Superman vs. Hook

Josh500

CE3K vs. Superman vs Hook  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which SCORE is your favorite?

• Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
    • Superman (1978)
    • Hook (1991)
  2. 2. Which MOVIE is your favorite?

• Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
    • Superman (1978)
    • Hook (1991)

It just came to me that I have the hardest time deciding which score/movie out of these I like the most... Well? What do you think?

Okay, got it:

Score: Hook

Movie: CE3K

At least for now.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me help you:

Movie: Superman

No, let me help you!

Score: Close Encounters, no doubts there.

Film: Superman. It just has too much charm that none of the two Spielberg movies can match.

Karol

:lol:

I don't think there will be clear winners here...

Everybody seems to think, that movie, duh! But everybody picks a different movie.

Sorry, Hook is just leftovers from Home Alone, Temple of Doom/Last Crusade, and Superman.

plus, Disco FTW.

Let me help you:

Movie: Superman

No, let me help you!

Well, it wasn't me who said he had a hard time deciding :)

Sorry, Hook is just leftovers from Home Alone, Temple of Doom/Last Crusade, and Superman.

plus, Disco FTW.

Stop embarrassing yourself!

You can argue in favor of Superman without bashing Hook, you know. Unless, you really feel that way about Hook...

Well, it wasn't me who said he had a hard time deciding :)

I do, because obviously they are all 3 masterpieces!

But now I've made up my mind. :)

plus, Disco FTW.

You can argue in favor of Superman without bashing Hook, you know. Unless, you really feel that way about Hook...

DOn't believe me?

listen to Ultimate War 3, the fanfare when Hook says: "What would the world be like.." and tell me that doesnt sound like a shortened/alternate version of when kevin goes down the stairs on the sled!

Score: Hook (you cannot go wrong with any of them though; we're talking Williams' top-tier stuff here)

Movie: Close Encounters

Superman and Close Encounters are perfection, John Williams at his greatest. But I voted for Hook because it has a childlike innocence and magic that really connects to me more than the other two scores. But it's a little like picking a favorite child....you love them all....well, except for Jimmy.....get back in the closet, Jimmy!!!! Ahem...where was I.....right. Hook is magical.

For film.....I want to watch them all back to back to decide, but Superman may be the one.

I don't know...this is a real tough poll.. Close Encounters is a great score, but it doesn't really come to the quality of Hook and Superman for me. And if I had to choose, I guess I'd put Superman on top, followed by Hook and then CE3K. All of them being great scores. Superman is just up the extra mile of JW awesomeness.

As for the films, CE3K is easily miles ahead of the other two...

I am glad that the majority seems to feel the same way as I do! :lol:

Score: Hook (you cannot go wrong with any of them though; we're talking Williams' top-tier stuff here)

Movie: Close Encounters

But yeah, I agree, you cannot go wrong with any of Williams's stuff here! :thumbup:

What a neck on neck race!

The correct euphemism is "neck and neck." Said quickly, itis "neck'n'neck," which could indicate your confusion.

Neck on neck is something I do in the bedroom.

What a neck on neck race!

The correct euphemism is "neck and neck." Said quickly, itis "neck'n'neck," which could indicate your confusion.

Thanks, I know! That happens when you type too fast, while at work...

It's just one of those classic JWFan polls...either way, you win.

Seems like, after 47 people have cast their votes, CE3K is the winner on both counts!

Am I the only one who hasn't participated in this poll due to the fact I can't make sense of Hook's inclusion in it?

Personally, I thought the omission of The Witches of Eastwick was far more glaring.

Superman is a better score than Close Encounters though both are close, both 5 stars out of 5, both scores are far better than Hook!

Superman is a better film than Close Encounter by a little, both are excellent, both films are far better than Hook which is a a dreadful film on so many levels from the horrible acting by Robin Williams, which is his usual, to the horrible miscast Julia Roberts. Only a few stand out, Dustin Hoffman is good, and at times he's excellent. Ms Brody/McGonagull/Smith is always excellent and I could never say a bad thing about her. Williams' score to Hook never hooked me.

Superman is better than all but two Steven Spielberg films, or SS/JW scores.

This is a tough one, I love all 3 films, and scores equally. They all give me goosebumps and a great time. But if I have to pick on to take with me to a deserted island:

Score: Superman: thrills, emotion, themes, all of them in abundance. Classic Williams which can't be beaten.

Movie: CE3K: because of the sci-fi theme, many spine-tingling moments, Spielberg's direction, his attention to the characters, and the score of course.

All right, 50 votes have been cast, I'll announce the winners!

Score: Close Encounters of the Third Kind with 18 votes (very close, though; Superman and Hook got 17 and 15 votes respectively)

Movie: Close Encounters of the Third Kind with 23 votes (Superman and Hook got 20 and 7 votes respectively)

But, of course, all three scores (and movies) are winners! :)

I don't think Hook is a great movie . . . a decent or even good movie, maybe, but it's not great. (Unless it has great nostalgia value for you, I guess.)

On the other hand, I would say both CE3K and Superman are great movies (classics!), for most anybody.

You could always make one yourself. Find out which is the best out of The Witches of Eastwick, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Angela's Ashes,

Ha, ha! Howabout "The Missouri Breaks" Vs "...Last Crusade". I know what would get my vote...