SCORE: Elmer Bernstein - 1956 - The Ten Commandments (Complete Analysis)

Faleel

This is my "first" analysis, so it will be a WIP.

Themes

Overture Theme:

A soaring motif for french horns that only appears in the pre-announcement "Overture" card

God Theme

The regal motif for heavy brass that first appears in the Prelude.

Nefertiri's Theme

A seductive love theme for the Love Interest/Villainess Nefertiri, which also appears in the Prelude.

Egypt Theme

A short motif to represent Egypt, it can be heard in most prominence in "The Power of God"

Moses's Theme:

A theme for Moses, it first appears in the Prelude.

Rameses II's Theme:

A theme that seems to represent Rameses and the evil doings of Egypt, it first appears in the Prelude

Joshua's Theme:

A brass fanfaric theme that represents the brash young Joshua and his feats of derring-do, it first appears in the Prelude.

Joshua-Lilia's Love Theme:

A Love theme for Lilia and Joshua, it sounds very similar to Hans Zimmer's theme for The Prince of Egypt, it first appears in New City Underway

Hope Theme:

A theme that represents the hope of freedom, it first appears in the Prelude

Motifs

Rameses I's Theme:

A motif that represents the tragedy of slavery in egypt, it first plays in the Prelude

Theme of Evil:

A short, deep, murmuring motif that represents Dathan's evil slitherings,  Memnet's croakings, and the plagues, it first appears in Moses and Nefretiri

Sephora's Motif:

A theme for Moses' Love Interest, it first appears in Defending the Well

To Be Continued.....

I have to admit that I have not listened to this score very thoroughly (yes I know, a major oversight since I like Bernstein's music a lot) so I can offer very little comment on the content. I have to look (and listen) into this score more closely to give any constructive commentary.

But it is a good start where you have delineated the themes clearly so you can now proceed with the analysis of the score itself. :)

Perhaps some track times would be good to have for each theme to better identify them for those who are not familiar with the music but then again you can do this in the score analysis itself.

I am quite impressed by the amount of thematic ideas running through the score. I had no idea there were so many but as I said I have not taken a close listen to Ten Commandments.

I watched the movie to death when I was younger; I was never religious but this was always one of my favorites. I discovered this movie long before Ben-Hur because Ben-Hur never became an Eastertime tradition on ABC.

This was the first Bernstein score I purchased and it is still near and dear to my heart. It is in great need of an expansion but for now, the re-recording will make do.

P.S. I dare you to do a better Incanus!! ;)

So let it be written...so let it be done!

• 4 months later...

Hi Faleel,

I'm doing a cuesheet and an analysis of Ten Commandments. Is it possible for you to scan or to write the differents themes you've found ?

I don't quite understand what your asking, I wrote all the different themes I have found in the main post.

Hi Fallel,

I thought you've got the film score, and that you done the analysis with it.

If you're interested in to participate the analysis, maybe would it be possible for you to indicate me the timecode for the first appearance of each theme you've heard ?

like that, I can do a "catalogue", because I've got the score in pdf.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Due to the new set being released,  and clarity brought about by theme names in the Liner Notes and Piano demos, I have begun reworking this post.

Faleel is a great screen name and I don't get the reasoning behind changing to a new one, especially a weird one like Fennel Ka, when you've built up such an online presence under Faleel.  People know that name around the whole internet, no one knows Fennel Ka.