RIP Joel Goldsmith

John Crichton

John Takis has just posted on Facebook that Joel Goldsmith has gone to join his father....There is also a thread on FSM confirming it:

http://www.filmscore...mID=1&archive=0

I'm in shock. That this would happen right after the wonderful complete release of First Contact, which he had a huge hand in making so great...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad news indeed. 54 is way too young and he was younger than his father when passing. Both Goldsmiths are gone now... :( Gonna listen to Star Trek First Contact tomorrow in memory of both of them.

This is absolutely terrible news. How tragic! I did not expect this at all. This was a talented composer! May he rest in peace! :(

Terrible news, indeed. So far those of us in the film score community who has heard about this are absolutely shocked the news.

I remember a few months ago Joel had posted on Facebook saying he was closing account. I had wondered why he would do that but now that I think about it, maybe he was getting to ill to keep up with it.

Damn. :( I even thought of him two days ago, wondering if he ever gonna break out into first league of Hollywood composers, which he should have done a long time ago, given his skills and talent. That's very sad news, indeed.

Very sad news. May he rest in peace.

At the FSM board it was posted that he was fighting cancer since last year.

Oh how very sad that he too was taken by cancer like his father. He was far too young. :(

Bad news. I don't think I've ever heard anything by him other than his contributions to First Contact, but I like the entire score. And three generations of Goldsmiths within just over 8 years is though.

That's really unexpected... Another good composer who leaves too early. But I must admit, I entirely did not notice that First Contact was released recently... that's something to look into...

Bad news. I don't think I've ever heard anything by him other than his contributions to First Contact, but I like the entire score. And three generations of Goldsmiths within just over 8 years is though.

At least the first generation lived to a ripe old age of 101.

Very sad news indeed.

I shall listen to "First Contact" tonight. "Moon 44" is shown often on British T.V. The next time that it is being shown, I shall watch it as a tribute.

Quint is right: 54 is no age to die - just a few years older than me, in fact. Makes you think...

R.I.P., Mr Goldsmith, and say "hi" to your dad from all of us.

Very sad news. The guy was younger than my parents.

JG jr. toiled steadily in film and tv over the years, but never really made it to the A list. Still, he managed to compose some wonderful things in his time. My personal favourite is his music for STARGATE: UNIVERSE.

RIP.

It was very sad indeed to hear this news. RIP, my prayers are with his family.

Wow haven't seen you post here in quite a while. Don't be such a stranger. ;) Alice and Miss Padmé are practically the only active females on this board.

Wow haven't seen you post here in quite a while. Don't be such a stranger. ;) Alice and Miss Padmé are practically the only active females on this board.

You will see more of me, I'm trying to get back to 'who' I was..... ;-) Long story.

You will see more of me, I'm trying to get back to 'who' I was..... ;-) Long story.

Ah okay that's cool. :)

Now we just need to get Greta to post again.

Upsetting.

He always came across as a well-humoured fellow who, judging by some of his writings on his website Freeclyde, didn't take himself too seriously.

I was lucky enough to receive an autographed copy of Stargate: Continuum from Joel back in 2008. He was certainly capable of bigger and better projects, but the productions he was involved with were lucky to have him, so it was good that he always maintained a steady output.

Mere handmaidens of the one TRUE Queen of JWfan.

Not that there is anything wrong with handmaidens though. ;)

Wait, I was told you didn't exist, but that someone here (male) was actually you. Now I'm all kinds of confused.