The Official Legend of Zelda Series Music Thread

Faleel

I thought I should make this, so we are not going of topic in the Zelda Symphony Thread, Video Game Music Thread, or What Was The Last Score You Listened To thread.

and for my first post in this thread, I present my work, condensing the full 5 hour score to Twilight Princess into a 72(ish) minute album.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL064818DE2A005A6B

• 5 months later...

Well, I really enjoyed creating a 72 minute album for Twilight Princess, that I decided to do the same with Wind Waker, the only problem was, there were so many highlights, that I soon found myself with a 50/60 minute album, and I had nothing from the last third of the game!

so I decided to present the cues I could not include, as "ITunes" style bonus tracks.

here is my work without these bonus tracks: http://www.youtube.c...FULb2625ShCVc_U

here it is WITH the bonus tracks:

http://www.youtube.c...Vq8tNJ6L0xv2XAY

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So this past autumn (well I guess technically it's still autumn), I got a huge nostalgic rush to throw myself into a Zelda game. I played the first ever Legend of Zelda as a kid, and it still contains my favorite memories of a game. Rushing home after school after learning a new secret that someone at school would tell me! Just fantastic stuff, that I don't think kids can get anymore nowadays. Sadly after that, I never got into another Zelda game. I played a little bit of Link's Awakening on the GameBoy growing up, but again, never truly gave any other Zelda game an honest play.

Until I got my nostalgic rush and I picked up Skyward Sword, (the newest & I prefer the graphics of SS to TP).

I love it so far, but the music, oh my the music in this game is just gorgeous. I love it.

That said, it also came with that 25th anniversary cd, and to add to the thread: 9:14-10:06 of the Wind Waker Symphonic Movement can literally bring me to tears.

Which also leads me to the point, where I will be throwing down some money to pick up Wind Waker, a Gamecube controller & memory card to play on my wii. I skipped the Gamecube, but I've always loved the graphics of Wind Waker. IMO, they were some ballsy graphics to come out with, and they executed them flawlessly. Needless to say, I'm pumped to finish SS and move on to Wind Waker. It will be a slow process, and Twilight Princess will be bought at some point, but I am super into Zelda at the moment. And the music has had a HUGE roll in that.

Yea man, you gotta play A Link To The Past. It's the best Zelda game, and possibly my favorite video game of all time!

If you have the Wii you gotta got Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask on the VC. Great games and the beginnings of the more modern Zelda themes.

Weren't you suppose to play Link's Awakening, by the way?

It's on the list. Right now I'm finishing up Final Fantasy 4 and New Super Mario Brothers, then I'll be moving on to Metroid Fusion and Super Mario 3D Land. After that will probably be A Link To The Past: Advance and Super Mario Galaxy 2, then Resident Evil 0 and New Super Mario Brothers 2

• 4 weeks later...

So, ZREO's "Twilight Symphony" is finally in the process of being rolled out. I just received my download email and am in the middle of my first listen (while eagerly awaiting the physical album). So far it sounds great, many great suite-like arrangements of great music (although with a bit of meandering filler here and there) :) And I believe it has several stirring horn solos by our very own Marc Papeghin!

I just started listening too. Pretty fabulous stuff. It's by no means a faithful recreation of the Twilight Princess soundtrack and it doesn't try to be. If I had to point to weak spots, it would be the Overture and Intermezzo. They're just a little too schmaltzy and showtune-like for Zelda. Anyway, wonderful job to the live choir, instrumentalists and of course Mr. Papeghin on horn!

wonderful job to....Mr. Papeghin on horn!

I really like his performance on Ordon Ranch (one of my favorite cues from the score)

I LOVE Zelda, it's my favorite game of all time, but I really can't stand what they've done to the series these days. Ever since after The Wind Waker it has lost all it's unique magic and hidden charm. The curious youthful exploration and silent mysticism it once had has fallen into the hands of the public. They're trying to make the game "epic," mainstream, taking ideas from other games and losing it's own character. To me OoT vs TP is like comparing Williams to Zimmer. The latter will convert most people who like shiny objects, but those with good taste know better.

You have to play A Link To The Past and Link's Awakening, man! Easily the best games from the franchise!

I agree with you too: I have to say A Link To The Past is my favorite. That's where the very unique magic and mysticism that could only be Zelda was really born. Traces of it carried well over to OoT, MM and other games until now, it's gone.

What Ocarina of Time perfected that new Zelda totally lacks is the very intrapersonal and serious, focused character of Link, the one with the willpower and passion to explore and be curious, something the new Link can't do because he's hindered by badly written social norms.

I agree with you too: I have to say A Link To The Past is my favorite..

It was my first Zelda game.

which is why I loved Four Swords Adventures, it was a very good homage to ALTTP, even the music, which felt like an extension of the original

Well... I think the early Zelda games reflected 70s and 80s fantasy movies (both live action and animated), and certainly novels like Lord of the Rings. It's hard to see in the games because of the primitive graphics, but it really comes across in the instruction manuals and box art. The N64 games brought more Japanese elements to the games and minimized the Western fantasy tropes: consider that within minutes of beginning Ocarina of Time you see names like Kokiri and Deku. Twilight Princess is basically just a return to the Western fantasy tropes, only with a couple decades' worth of evolution.

Its the best video game of all time

Ocarina Of Time is the best epic fantasy film of all time stretched over dozens of hours.

And probably has better graphics than Attack Of The Clones.

A Link To The Past manual, in that regard, was a fucking work of art.

Also, Nintendo's official guide book for ALttP is full of great illustrations and hand-drawn maps (no patchwork of screenshots or schematics here, no sir!), and that narrative way of telling the story and what to do to proceed ("After searching the whole place, Link finally finds the flute in the upper part of the clearing" or something like that, instead of "Go to the clearing and dig at the third space from the left" or so). I often grabbed that guide book and just read it from start to finish, independently from actually playing the game. It really provided a more or less coherent narrative, instead of just captions to screenshots and bulleted lists.

I still treasure that one. The TP guide book I bought a few years ago was a big disappointment in comparison, apart from the few pages of lush poster artwork.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I still haven't taken the shrinkwrap off my Gamecube Wind Waker lol

It would be cool if, as long as sales are strong enough, they also remake Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks in a 2-for-1 disc for the Wii U after Wind Waker

I think Wind Waker has aged a lot better than Twilight Princess or the N64 games. Its stylized graphics are tailored to the GameCube's limitations. But I won't say no to this pretty looking remake.

Hopefully the music will be updated as well (not in terms of rewritten, just rerendered with better samples or an orchestra)

This trailer was made a few years ago as an April Fools Prank for IGN I believe. Overall, not terrible. I think a movie could work, and honestly I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk of one.