Fal J. M. Skywalker

The Official Legend of Zelda Series Music Thread

I'm excited to hear it!

If that Netflix Zelda series ever happens and they can't get Koji Kondo and/or Mahito Yokota (or some of the other series composers) to compose, I hope Chris Tilton (or Chad Seiter, maybe, or both) gets to score it. I feel like he/they would respect the established themes and contribute some interesting ones of his/their own. I would love to hear what he would do with a full orchestra and less/no electronics.

I think that if the Netflix series ever happens, a big part of the budget will be allocated to special effects, costumes and sets, and I don't think there'll be enough money left to get a full orchestra. I think we'll probably get a blend of orchestral and synth stuff (with some live instruments and synth instruments, a la Game Of Thrones). Unless the producers think the music is such an integral part of the Zelda series that the composer working on the show should be given a full orchestra (which of course would be great).

The Zelda piece is OK, but not much more than that. The Donkey Kong Country stuff is meh. That Final Fantasy VI: Opera Aria Remix piece is bloody awful.

Never been a big fan of the Video Games Live stuff. I don't know if it's because of the orchestration, the mix, the performance, or a bit of all this, but I never quite connected with it. It lacks something. Also not a big fan of most of the music they choose for their concerts. That being said, some of their arrangements are nice and I do really like their take on the Tetris theme.

The Zelda piece is OK, but not much more than that. The Donkey Kong Country stuff is meh. That Final Fantasy VI: Opera Aria Remix piece is bloody awful.

Never been a big fan of the Video Games Live stuff. I don't know if it's because of the orchestration, the mix, the performance, or a bit of all this, but I never quite connected with it. It lacks something. Also not a big fan of most of the music they choose for their concerts. That being said, some of their arrangements are nice and I do really like their take on the Tetris theme.

Seems to me their albums get worse with each release. Maybe its the selection of music that isn't inspired, or the orchestra under-performs or the arrangements just not there. The first and second were the best for sure.

Also remember that VGL 3 and 4 were crowdfunded. Maybe that translates to an overall not as stellar product.

But I can tell you their live concert recording on blu-ray is a big pile of fun. Full of energy and great tunes, and the audience is not your average classical concert audience either. The atmosphere is intoxicating.

If they would release another I wouldn't hesitate picking it up.

Damn you, Fal! For a fraction of second, I thought it was a video to announce a CD release!

But I can tell you their live concert recording on blu-ray is a big pile of fun. Full of energy and great tunes, and the audience is not your average classical concert audience either. The atmosphere is intoxicating.

If they would release another I wouldn't hesitate picking it up.

Yes, and I would hate attending one of these concerts for that very reason. I paid to listen to the music, not people screaming in my ears, thank you very much!

!@#$%^&* you, Fal! For a fraction of second, I thought it was a video to announce a CD release!

Well if you notice the unreleased music in the audio underneath the dialogue (which is mixed in the center only ;) ) is in stereo and sounds rather clean, perhaps from a recording that may be released in the future? ;)

!@#$%^&* you, Fal! For a fraction of second, I thought it was a video to announce a CD release!

Well if you notice the unreleased music in the audio underneath the dialogue (which is mixed in the center only ;) ) is in stereo and sounds rather clean, perhaps from a recording that may be released in the future? ;)

And this video has the music without the dialogue:

I love that! I've been listening to it on a loop with the suites for Super Mario and Megaman. The rendition of Hyrule Field in this almost brings me to tears. Wonderful performance!

I'd love it if we could get clean recordings like this for the Symphony of the Goddesses medleys not included on the Skyward Sword CD!

Guys I want to purchase Zelda music on legal CDs.  Any recommendations on where to start?

I mean the exact music from the games, not re-recordings.

Thanks!

Nintendo of America are famously stingy when it comes to releasing soundtracks while the Japan branch releases them all the time.  So if you want actual CDs and not bootlegs, then you'll be paying exorbitant prices to import out of print Japan releases in my experience.

7 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Maybe you could start with that?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/COCX-39704

Sweet thanks, looks perfect!

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Nintendo of America are famously stingy when it comes to releasing soundtracks while the Japan branch releases them all the time.  So if you want actual CDs and not bootlegs, then you'll be paying exorbitant prices to import out of print Japan releases in my experience.

It's not just Nintendo, Square Enix USA hasn't released as much Final Fantasy albums as Square Enix JP either