The Official Ennio Morricone Thread

Muad'Dib

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The 21st Century Symphony Orchestra gave a fantastic concert of music from westerns last Friday at the Royal Albert Hall.  They played a number of Morricone scores, all astonishingly faithful to the original versions and I dare say better even than when Morricone himself conducts them in his concerts.  The concert ended with The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, firstly the main title music (played live to the actual main titles and featuring all the original instrumentation and vocal effects) followed by The Ecstasy of Gold, again played live to the scene it accompanies where Eli Wallach runs through the cemetery looking for the buried gold.

Luckily someone has captured the latter on video and I thought some of you would enjoy it.  Note the tubular bells towards the end!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 25.11.2016 at 4:28 AM, Muad'Dib said:

@Jay I remember you mentioning not knowing much about Morricone. If that's correct, I'd dare say this particular album is a great place to start

That is the live recording from his concert tour with the Czech National Philharmonic Orchestra and I can attest that it is a magnificent programme (with some additions for the album) that I had the priviledge to hear live just two weeks ago. A very good cross section of his career even if it can in that running time only touch upon a few high spots along the 6 decade long career.

• 1 month later...

I love the sheer rawness of this one, I also dig the movie quite a bit! It's not perfect by any means, but for some reason I quite enjoy it.

When I was a kid I always associated Morricone's TGTBTU theme more with indians than with cowboys, particularly because of that underlying rythm it has, that dum dum dum dumdumdum... And it works perfectly of course, but in Navajo it feels even more appropiate.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Official announcement from Music Box Records:

Due to a licensing issue, the CD of Orca was removed from sale shortly after its release. This issue is now being handled between the parties involved. Thank you for your kind understanding.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=119300&forumID=1&archive=0

Apparently a few people got copies before they completely removed it from their site and all stores

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
48 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Seeing Don Ennio conducting his own music in Rotterdam tonight. Quite looking forward.

Will be meeting up with fellow MB member Sandor, anyone else gonna be there?

Looking forward to it as well..! 

It was awesome. Morricone conducted some of my favorite pieces, music that has been a part of my life for more than 20 years. Morricone is a true artist and tonight he simply let the music do all the talking. For me the highlights were Deborah's Theme from Once Upon A Time In America, the suite from Casualties Of War, The Silver Of The Mine from Nostromo, the main title theme from The Hateful Eight, the suite from The Mission and the music from The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

And a highlight of a different kind: meeting Stefan..! I've known Stefan for more than 15 years on the board and this was the first time I got to meet a JWFanner in person. And guess what? Stefan is one of the kindest persons alive and it made the concert extra special..! Thanks man for a great evening..!

I remember that in Helsinki last year he didn't go off-stage at the end but they had erected a separate little curtained area on stage where he could retire before coming out to receive the standing ovations of the enraptured crowd. He did it three times. Very humble frail looking old man who is behind all that wonderful music and who despite his diminutive size still had a very commanding presence on-stage. Bless him!

I remember the 2014 Berlin concert. He was still conducting while standing. That was just before his back injury. I remember being amazed that he conducted pretty much non-stop, without an interval, for 2 and a half hours.

Karol