The Official Ennio Morricone Thread

Muad'Dib

8 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Wow! This is fantastic! I never thought I'd hear Kiss sound like this!

Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox is always worth hearing.

On 18/8/2023 at 5:56 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

This is cool:

(And here's a "reaction video"/"masterclass" (I think both deserve the quotes) by an opera singer who at least learned about spaghetti westerns and "Ennio Merrycony" in the process)

Thanks for sharing. This is an incredible arrangement. 

13 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Thanks for sharing. This is an incredible arrangement. 

16 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox is always worth hearing.

• 1 month later...

Here, the elements are raging; it's a deluge with 120mm of rain expected... a touch of Morricone, as seen by Tarantino!

Ennio Morricone - Original Soundtracks 1964-2015: CD 16 "Quentin Tarantino".

20231007_110727.jpg

17 hours ago, Bespin said:

Here, the elements are raging; it's a deluge with 120mm of rain expected... a touch of Morricone, as seen by Tarantino!

Ennio Morricone - Original Soundtracks 1964-2015: CD 16 "Quentin Tarantino".

20231007_110727.jpg

I got that Box, too. But the envelope for CD 11, Visages du Cinéma Italien, contains a wrong disk. :(

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I got that Box, too. But the envelope for CD 11, Visages du Cinéma Italien, contains a wrong disk. :(

Wrong disc in what sense?

Mine has this, do you want me to send you the FLACs of the CD?

image.png

34 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

It seems to be disk 1 of this 2-CD set:

image.png

I hope you'll be able to obtain a replacement disc from Universal. I'm sure the CDs in these boxsets are placed manually, so it's just a minor mistake.

Well this sounds like it’ll be bloody marvellous… the earlier violin album is terrific (although I agree with James that the Yo-Yo Ma cello version is even better and one of my favourite composer compilations of all time).

http://www.movie-wave.net/morricone-cinema-rarities/

Bargain at Presto… https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9527937--morricone-cinema-rarities-for-violin-and-string-orchestra

• 3 months later...
On 13/10/2023 at 6:57 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

Well this sounds like it’ll be bloody marvellous… the earlier violin album is terrific (although I agree with James that the Yo-Yo Ma cello version is even better and one of my favourite composer compilations of all time).

http://www.movie-wave.net/morricone-cinema-rarities/

Bargain at Presto… https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9527937--morricone-cinema-rarities-for-violin-and-string-orchestra

It's absolutely beautiful. I've been listening to it all day today!

That, and Quartet's new expanded release of the same composer's Bloodline, which is also incredibly enjoyable. Not, perhaps one of Morricone's absolute standouts, but lovely nonetheless. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.beatrecords.it/shop.asp?lingua=i&idprodotto=CDX1033&uscita=prox

c-era-una-volta-il-west-50th-anniversary

cdx1033_showcase.jpg

55 years ago, the fourth Western movie directed by Sergio Leone, C’ERA UNA VOLTA IL WEST, was screened for the first time, and in the plans of the director, should have closed the circle of his engagement with this cinematic genre. Compared to the Dollars Trilogy, the movie marks an important stylistic change; it’s an epic full of allegories, with an immensely powerful script. Considered by many to be Ennio Morricone’s masterpiece, it marks an evolution in his music, which often takes over for the images. Exceptional collaborators such as Edda Dell’Orso, Alessandro Alessandroni and Franco De Gemini are the main actors of this score, the director of which is the Maestro. It is to one of them, Franco De Gemini, whom Beat Records in collaboration with Universal Music Publishing wish to dedicate this 50th anniversary edition, in a guise you’ve never experienced before.

An accurate remastering by Claudio Fuiano and Daniel Winkler corrected a few formal imprecisions of the wonderful previous editions as well as some minor stereophonic flaws, and now we can finally say we have an album that meets our expectations for such a milestone edition of this score, even correcting some small flaws of the previous edition.

But the surprises don’t stop there. Five years after the death of the popular Ferraran harmonica player, the entire recording sessions of the score were discovered, over three hours long, including studio chatter from which we extracted a small recording of Franco’s voice while he is conducting sound tests to find the best sound for his harmonica in a particular scene. We present this gift to you at the end of the album as a memorial to this great harmonica artisan, a sonic cameo as a little witness to his industriousness.

The CD comes in a jewel case with a richly-illustrated, 24-page booklet featuring liner notes by Daniele De Gemini, along with 4 collector’s plasticized cards, all gathered in a hard box external case.

Limited to only 500 copies, it’s a meeting with cinema and music history that can’t be missed.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

EDIT: nevermind, not interesting, just annoying

Yeah I looked into it and this seems to be just a straight reissue of a 2018 release I didn't know about where most of it still sounds like ass. I can't believe these people have the audacity to say they fixed stereo field issues when the voice and orchestra are all wandering around the middle left right in the first goddamn track. Those "expectations" must be pretty low.

23 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I can't believe they still haven't done a new master from the newly discovered tapes!

Would 3 hours have been enough to record the entire score? What was the methodology in those days? Maybe those are just the harmonica sessions. But I guess I'm thinking of the scores we know where every final take assembly has an hour of rehearsals/takes behind it, whereas here many of these "cues" are just those different takes/variations of the same music?

22 minutes ago, Holko said:

Would 3 hours have been enough to record the entire score? What was the methodology in those days? Maybe those are just the harmonica sessions.

I read a comment from the producers when this remastering was initially released, and they didn't used the newly discovered tapes because the audio work had already been done. 

And so now for a reissue, they... still didn't use them, or at least don't indicate it. angry mark sheppard GIF

Perhaps they listened to the new source and the quality improvement wasn't large enough to justify rebuilding it all over again. They're pretty much damned whatever they do - either not taking advantage of a new source or releasing the score for the 50th time and confusing everyone.

I've got Quartet's recent Good/Bad/Ugly set though and it sounds miles better than previous editions. The set I have of Once sounds pretty good really - maybe it will never sound notably better.

35 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Perhaps they listened to the new source and the quality improvement wasn't large enough to justify rebuilding it all over again.

Then wouldn't it be more professional to say that?

And I will never believe that anything can't sound any better until Mike and/or Chris say so.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any suggestions on reordering Quartet's release of La Califfa to something approximating film order? I assume the first 14 tracks replicate the OST programme with the finale oddly programmed halfway through as it appears at the end of the first side on the LP it seems. There's an earlier expanded release that puts the finale at the end, suggesting the music is more closely matched to the film. Of course if it's one of those Ennio scores where he wrote stuff in advance and the ordering isn't that crucial, I'll just enjoy it as it is, but figured I may as well ask...