The Official Ennio Morricone Thread

Muad'Dib

Hopefully one day it'll get a deluxe treatment from the labels, maybe with Kamen's score.

I finally received the three Morricone scores I ordered from SAE back in December. One was on backorder from Italy.

Duello Nel Texas

Tepepa

Queimada

• 4 weeks later...

I hate using this word, but this is pretty damn epic. Sounds like a cross between Giu la Testa and Once Upon a Time in the West but without the electric guitar, specially when than awesome chorus kicks in!

• 2 weeks later...

Another unknown gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJgm8WTa-pg

I'm really surprised Quentin didn't use it in Basterds or Django, it would have been perfect for both and added a little thematic continuity with the Fur Elise inclusion.

But still, fantastic piece. I'm finding myself bumping into lots of great unknown Morricone stuff. The list is endless.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for the heads up, but there is almost always another Morricone CD on the way. The Italian labels churn them out like crazy. There are few on the old Verita Note label that I would like rereleased at affordable price points, but I've more or less bought all the ones I actively want.

I check SAE every now and then to see what's new. Their "New Releases" tab for each label is really helpful.

Now my favorite EM score (one of the top 5) is The Mission suite

I don't find that The Mission Suite is one of his best composition.

I prefer Once Upon a Time in the West.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy cow! Another unknown masterpiece...

I ADORE that glorious passage at 1:32. It's totally Stravinsky's Firebird! (with a bit of baroque in the middle) And I mean it in the best way, it's obvious a concious reference and one that probably makes sense in the context of the movie. I wish it went on forever and ever. I love Morricone in spiritual mode.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Has anyone else been to any of Morricone's concerts on his current My Life In Music tour? The one at the O2 Arena in London on Thursday was fantastic. I was especially thrilled to see and hear Nanni Civitenga, who played the memorable bass guitar parts in one of my favourite Morricone scores Frantic, guesting with the Czech National Orchestra.

Here is a clip of Chi Mai from Le Professionel, which opened the second half.

• 4 months later...

Morricone has composed a Mass for Pope Francis, you can check out the whole thing starting here, the last movement contains excerpts from The Mission

Quite amazing.

I dont know Morricone very much (The Mission and the formidable Yo-yo Ma album) but I place it at the exact same level as John Williams. I dont think one is better than the other, because they are soooooo different.

Definitely, two of the greatests.

But I'm too young to have any affective link with the movies Morricone scored and finally his music in general.

When I ask my husband, who is 8 years older than me, he says Morricone is better than Williams :-)

He's not right. John is the greatest ever. Better than all those before him, even JG who is better than all before him.

He's better than either of those gentlemen.

It should not come as a surprise for someone at the John Williams site to proclaim him the greatest of all time.

He is that good. Excuse me Great.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Superb news, but it's always shameful when an article can't get a simple fact straight. How are we supposed to trust the news being reported?

Terrence Malick hasn't always had the easiest time with composers. James Horner had spoken out loudly on multiple occasions about his difficulties during the making of "The Thin Red Line," and going all the way back to the director's sophomore feature, "Days Of Heaven," the legendary Ennio Morricone admitted it wasn't always an easy process working on that movie.

I agree, it's annoying. I think it's in their rush to be first they don't bother fact-checking whatever they're writing down, probably mostly from memory or hasty Googling.

Proof is here, though, as they linked in the article. Under the Cast/Crew tab: http://www.wildbunch.biz/movie/voyage-of-time/