New Intrada: Star Trek V The Final Frontier (Jerry Goldsmith) - unlimited

Jay

INTRADA Announces:

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/544305_10150815045167169_569387168_9412474_2015515372_n.jpg

STAR TREK V: THE FINAL FRONTIER

Composed and Conducted by JERRY GOLDMITH

INTRADA MAF 7119

By popular demand, Intrada has re-issued the expanded edition of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, featuring Jerry Goldsmith's colorful and exciting score. As a follow on to his masterpiece score to Star Trek: The Motion Picture, this score takes off where his first score left off. While The Motion Picture allowed Goldsmith to establish themes that would become rooted in the Star Trek franchise, that film required a score of atmosphere and awe -- focusing on the mystery, grandeur, and beauty of space. For Star Trek V, high-adventure was the order of the day, requiring a colorful, exciting, action-packed score.

In 2010 La-La Land Records released a long-awaited 2CD expanded edition of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. Their 5,000-copy limited edition sold out in months. While other expanded Star Trek albums were not limited and remain in print, this rapid sellout created a hole in the catalog, so Intrada has decided to put it back in print. The CD program is identical to the already perfect presentation created by La-La Land Records, although packaging has been updated to fit in with the design of the Star Trek II, III, IV and VI packages.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989) was the penultimate film to star the original cast of Star Trek. After Leonard Nimoy (Spock) directed the third and fourth entries in the series, Paramount Pictures awarded Star Trek V to William Shatner (Kirk), whose story input resulted in an action-adventure exploring religious fanaticism, the human yearning for God, and the familial nature of Kirk, Spock and McCoy (DeForest Kelley)­with touches of humor inspired by the commercial success of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986).

INTRADA MAF 7119

Retail Price: $24.99

AVAILABLE NOW

For track listing and sound samples, please visit

http://store.intrada...it.A/id.7518/.f

STAR TREK V: THE FINAL FRONTIER (2CD)

Label: Intrada MAF 7119

Date: 1989

Tracks: 42

Time = 131:51

For those that missed spectacular limited 2-CD presentation from La-La Land label, Intrada brings powerhouse Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack back as per desire of licensor to see title remain available in ongoing STAR TREK soundtrack series. William Shatner stars, directs fifth feature installment of legendary series, employs familiar original cast in tale of hostages, quest for meaning in life, other ambitious plot ideas. Goldsmith anchors with famed Enterprise theme but ingeniously focuses on incredibly flexible four-note triad-ish motif that plays in all manner of guise: aggressively bowed in low cellos, tentatively played by upper strings, crisply punched by trumpets, elongated by triumphant French horns, so forth. Rich major-key theme for Kirk ("A Busy Man") adds warmth while pulsating action cues ("Open The Gates", "Raid On Paradise", "Let's Get Out Of Here") excite! Score also makes terrific use of dynamic theme for Klingons, introduced in first feature. Array of alternates plus remastered presentation of original 1989 soundtrack album round out stunning audio treat, mastered from original digital session elements. All musical content plus liner notes by Trek authority Jeff Bond are identical to earlier 2-CD release. New packaging by Joe Sikoryak brings artwork design in keeping with other Intrada/Film Score Monthly STAR TREK releases. Jerry Goldsmith conducts.

CD 1: THE FILM SCORE

01. Nimbus III 2:01

02. The Mind-Meld 2:43

03. The Mountain [Main Title]* 4:53

04. The Big Drop 0:26

05. Raid On Paradise 2:43

06. Not Alone 1:11

07. Target Practice 1:52

08. A Tall Ship 1:43

09. Plot Course 1:46

10. No Harm 2:13

11. Approaching Nimbus III 2:59

12. Open The Gates 3:01

13. Well Done 1:16

14. Without Help 4:55

15. Pick It Up 2:31

16. No Authority 0:30

17. It Exists 1:47

18. Free Minds 3:18

19. The Birth 3:53

20. The Barrier* 2:52

21. A Busy Man 4:41

22. An Angry God 6:57

23. Let’s Get Out Of Here [Part 1] 3:42

24. Let’s Get Out Of Here [Part 2] 3:07

25. Cosmic Thoughts 1:16

26. Life Is A Dream [End Credits]* 3:57

Total Time: 73:07

CD 2: THE 1989 SOUNDTRACK ALBUM

01. The Mountain* 3:50

02. The Barrier* 2:51

03. Without Help 4:18

04. A Busy Man 4:40

05. Open The Gates 3:00

06. An Angry God 6:55

07. Let’s Get Out Of Here 5:1

08. Free Minds 3:17

09. Life Is A Dream* 3:57

10. The Moon’s A Window

To Heaven† 4:00

Total Time: 42:22

ADDITIONAL MUSIC

11. The Mountain [Main Title] (alternate)* 4:45

12. A Busy Man (alternate) 4:42

13. Paradise Saloon (source) 2:42

14. The Moon’s A Window to Heaven (film version) 1:10

15. Vulcan Song/Row, Row,

Row Your Boat (source) 1:33

16. Synclavier Effects 1:54

Total Disc Time: 59:28

So its:

1. Unlimited instead of limited to 5,000 copies

2. Only $25 instead of $30.

3. Got a new spine that lines up with Intrada's 4 and 6, and FSM's 2 and 3. I wonder if the rumored LLL Trek 1 will match?

Will definitely be getting this in the next month or two for sure. It was a mistake for me not to get it before, even when I did have money issues at the time. I'll probably get this at the same time as LLL's rumored ST:TMP. Awesome that it is also 5 dollars cheaper now. I'm not missing out this time.

And what fantastic analogy would you draw for those of us who paid $29.99 the first time around, just because we're Star Trek completists, Goldsmith fanatics, or both?

sorry Trent, that is way too much for this score, maybe STTMP, but few scores are worth that much to me. I don't pay that for movies why should I pay more for a score. Especially for such a terrible film.

A lot of us do have rather expensive scores in our collections that we have permanently detached from the movies in our mind, because the music is so good.

I listened to Cutthroat Island a lot more times than I ever saw the film, which was once, and once too many.

sorry Trent, that is way too much for this score, maybe STTMP, but few scores are worth that much to me. I don't pay that for movies why should I pay more for a score. Especially for such a terrible film.

STV is better than TMP.

Again, you're wrong. Most people will always choose Star Trek TMP over Star Trek V, including myself.

Hmm. I never think to myself, "I want to listen to Star Trek V," but then choose to listen to Star Trek TMP at the last moment. Do you know why? Because then I would never listen to Star Trek V, ever.

Again, you're wrong. Most people will always choose Star Trek TMP over Star Trek V, including myself.

Hmm. I never think to myself, "I want to listen to Star Trek V," but then choose to listen to Star Trek TMP at the last moment. Do you know why? Because then I would never listen to Star Trek V, ever.

Wrong.

It really depends on my mood as to which one I want to listen to.

Love them both, a lot.

TMP for me, however, has a slight edge.

This is incorrect.

Wrong.

Love them both, a lot.

This is incorrect.

That's a wrong opinion.

Karol

Wrong.

Love them both, a lot.

This is incorrect.

That's a wrong opinion.

Karol

That is correctly incorrect.

:lol2:

You're all wrong. Goldsmith is rubbish.

24.95 is highway robbery for this score.

I'm not a trek fan and I disagree with that. I had the chance to hear this after it was sold out, and after listening to about 4 cues, I immediately regretted dismissing it.

Or, think of it this way: the money Intrada makes from this will help make something happen that you do want to buy,

And: ordered!

Truthfully, fellas, the whole "wrong opinion" shtick got old fast. Blume did it best and he's not here anymore.

~*~

I dislike the tiny yellow font up top in front of the saucer. It worked on VI's cover because it's over top of black space.

Is your problem with LLR's cover for V the white font that stretches from edge to edge? Really I think we need another poster that isn't so much pink and purple.

My problem is the whole design looks cheap - and the custom created logo is nigh on the same as a bootleg cover that previously made the rounds. The back cover as well just looks ugly and cheap. I agree on the yellow font, but it's better than the LLL. I had previously assumed the long "Music from the Paramount original motion picture soundtrack" was contractual as it was the same on the original LP, but I guess not.

It is a good release when people can't obsess and criticize about anything but the cover art and design.

As long as the music sounds good I am happy. Not worried about spine colors or design of the booklet. Except if it is a JW release. Then I hold no bars.

Me neither to be honest. But, again, I'm really happy for those people who missed it. It's a really great music and great presentation.

Karol

Can someone who gets this do a high-res scan of the artwork? I absolutely loathe the LLL cover.

I have a 1400x1400 version if you want

Well, my LLL sold... $35.99! Not too shabby, just a little above breaking even. Guess I'm obligated to get the Intrada now :D

• 4 years later...

Little thing I just noticed, in the album version of the end credits you can actually hear the Rams Horn/Bird Call effect very faintly at certain points.

No!!!!!!!!

I like the (magenta, is it?) colour-scheme. Just bear in mind, Fal, that you are up against the single greatest film poster artist, who ever bestrode the face if the Earth (the second is Richard Amstel, and the third is John Alvin).

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anybody know why for this score the French horns were recorded/mixed to the right channel, instead of their standard placement to the left?

4 hours ago, Trope said:

Does anybody know why for this score the French horns were recorded/mixed to the right channel, instead of their standard placement to the left?

I've always wondered this but nobody (so far!) seems to know! Very strange...

9 minutes ago, Presto said:

Interestingly in TMP they seem to be mixed sonewhat centered on some tracks.

There's some interesting mixing choices in TMP as well, although I haven't yet gone in depth on what they are specifically. I think I remember the end credits having some instrument placements that change throughout the track, although I may be wrong.

12 hours ago, Trope said:

I don't really pay attention to instrument placing on CDs, and I'm not very familiar with the standard American orchestra setup. But at least in Europe it's not unusual for the horns to be on the right: