John Williams Concert Suites

Pieter Boelen

Now here's a question for you all: Which concert suites by John Williams are there that were not available on their original soundtrack releases?

These can be either by written and conducted by John Williams or adapted/conducted by someone else.

Here's the ones I'm aware of:

The entirety of the CD "The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Classic Scores for the films of Steven Spielberg"

The entirety of the CD "Williams on Williams: The Classic Spielberg Scores"

Harry Potter Children's Suite as recorded during the Philosopher's Stone recording sessions

Suite from "Hook" from Showtoppers in Brass Highlights

Suite from "Hook" from US Army Field Band ''In Concert'

"Overture From Jurassic Park" that contains part of "Dennis Steals the Embryos" for its opening (05:49)

"Overture from The Cowboys" (09:43)

"Theme From The Lost World (Concert Suite)" (03:22)

''Main Title'' from Star Wars combining the Main Title with the End Title (05:46)

''Luke and Leia'' (05:03)

''Theme'' from Far and Away using a lot of violin playing (05:37)

''Theme'' from Family Plot (03:52)

"Marion's Theme" (unreleased in any good-sounding version)

I seem to recall there is an "The Asteroid Field" and "Jabba the Hutt" concert suite somewhere, but I've never came across them so far.

Does anyone know any others? And while we're at it: Which ones do you like? Which ones don't you? Which ones are better than their OST counterparts?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

''Main Title'' from Star Wars combining the Main Title with the End Title (05:46)

Wasn't this on the original LP and on the Anthology? Sure, it technically was just two cues combined...

"The Flag Parade" and "Adventures of Jar-Jar" from The Phantom Menace come to mind.

Wasn't this on the original LP and on the Anthology? Sure, it technically was just two cues combined...
The one I meant is the one I found on the John Williams Greatest Hits album. Not sure if that's a new recording or not.
"The Flag Parade" and "Adventures of Jar-Jar" from The Phantom Menace come to mind.
Interesting. Haven't heard either yet.

Irina's Theme from KotCS (unreleased)

Eric Kunzel also conducts a great suite from SpaceCamp that is definitely worth checking out.

John Williams Evening At Pops: We're Looking Good / the Cowboys / the Dance of the Witches / Olympic Fanfare and Theme

The Star Wars Main Title from the Greatest Hits album is the same as the one on "The Hollywood Sound". It was recorded by the LSO in 1996 or 1997. imho, it's the best recording of the Main Title. It also contains the best recording of the ET flying theme too(also on Greatest Hits). The other recordings on this album are quite nice too.

http://www.amazon.co...8422&sr=1-1

You can find "The Asteroid Field" concert suite on this album. There's a couple more, but this one has the best performance imho. The best performance of the "Han Solo and the Princess" concert suite is in here too.

http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sim_m_2

Jabba The Hutt can be found here: I forgot which was better.

http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sim_m_2

or

http://www.amazon.co...8615&sr=1-1

• 4 months later...

I'll be working on a John Williams Concert Suites compilation of some sort soon. Does anyone know if anything like the following is available?

- Parade of the Slave Children that is NOT the same as the one from The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration.

I hear there is a short version of it?

- Best concert suite that starts with the Star Wars Main Title. Would that be the "The Hollywood Sound" one?

That is a different version than the one from "John Williams Conducts John Williams: The Star Wars Trilogy", right?

Reason being, I intend to use "Throne Room and Finale" from that compilation, but the second half is a bit too similar to the second half of "Main Theme" from that CD.

I'd prefer something a bit different either way to prevent doubling up too much content.

And are there any reasonable records available at all of the following?

- Marion's Theme Concert Suite

- Irina's Theme Concert Suite

- Dartmoor, 1912 Concert Suite

- The Sea Battle and The Duel from The Adventures of Tintin

- Any other officially unreleased ones that I did not list?

And how about Harry Potter? These ones I know:

- Re-recording of The Chamber of Secrets

- Instrumental Double Trouble Concert Suite

- A Bridge to the Past Concert Suite

- Witches, Wands and Wizards

Ideally, I will be wanting to create the following:

1. Set of ALL Star Wars concert suites

2. Set of all worthwhile concert suites/re-recordings that are NOT already on The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration or Williams on Williams

All help will be appreciated.

I'll be working on a John Williams Concert Suites compilation of some sort soon. Does anyone know if anything like the following is available?

- Parade of the Slave Children that is NOT the same as the one from The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration.

I hear there is a short version of it?

Erich Kunzel did one that has the shorter ending.

Again, Erich Kunzel did one.

What Harry Potter Concert Suites are there? I know of the following:

- Re-recording of ''The Chamber of Secrets''

- Double Trouble (Instrumental Concert Suite)

- A Bridge to the Past (Concert Suite)

- There is a Witches, Wands and Wizards suite as well, if I recall?

Obviously, Harry's Wondrous World and Hedwig's Theme don't even need mentioning. There's "The Philosopher's Stone" and "Nimbus 2000" but the only two recordings that I know of (there are more, I'm sure) are the original film recordings and the Madrid 2011 live versions.

Erich Kunzel did one that has the shorter ending.
I'll be sure to check that one.
Again, Erich Kunzel did one.
Is that the new one John Williams wrote? I thought there was a different version.
Obviously, Harry's Wondrous World and Hedwig's Theme don't even need mentioning. There's "The Philosopher's Stone" and "Nimbus 2000" but the only two recordings that I know of (there are more, I'm sure) are the original film recordings and the Madrid 2011 live versions.
Indeed I didn't consider anything from the original recordings.
Han Solo and the Princess
On my Star Wars one, I'm including the entirety of "John Williams Conducts John Williams: The Star Wars Trilogy" plus the following extra tracks:

- The Adventures of Jar Jar (The Phantom Menace)

Themes from "The Phantom Menace" and Other Film Hits, Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Conducted By Frederic Talgorn

- Anakin's Theme (The Phantom Menace)

Conducted By Erich Kunzel

- Duel of the Fates (The Phantom Menace)

- The Flag Parade (The Phantom Menace)

Themes from "The Phantom Menace" and Other Film Hits, Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Conducted By Frederic Talgorn

- Across the Stars (Attack of the Clones)

- Battle of the Heroes (Revenge of the Sith)

- The Battle in the Snow (The Empire Strikes Back)

National Philharmonic Orchestra, Conducted By Charles Gerhardt

- Han Solo and the Princess (The Empire Strikes Back)

- Into the Trap (Return of the Jedi)

- Yub Nub (Return of the Jedi) - Instrumental version

NOTE: I removed the End Title part of this track to prevent doubling up content on my compilation (such as Parade of the Ewoks and Luke and Leia).

It will be followed by "Throne Room and Finale" as the next track, unless I can come up with some better sequencing.

Not sure if I missed any other worthwhile ones as of yet...

"Overture From Jurassic Park" that contains part of "Dennis Steals the Embryos" for its opening (05:49)
Does anyone know where that one came from? Is there any more where that came from?

Another thing that sprang to mind... is there not some Memories of a Geisha stuff somewhere that's quite different from the OST?

Another thing that sprang to mind... is there not some Memories of a Geisha stuff somewhere that's quite different from the OST?

Yes, there's a six part suite for cello and orchestra. Performed by Yo-Yo Ma with the Chicago Symphony.

http://www.amazon.co...&sr=1-1-catcorr

And how about Harry Potter? These ones I know:

- Re-recording of The Chamber of Secrets

- Instrumental Double Trouble Concert Suite

- A Bridge to the Past Concert Suite

- Witches, Wands and Wizards

I don't know why you'd use a re-recording of The Chamber of Secrets. The one on the ost is played by the LSO, that's as good as it gets.

The other suites can be found on this album:

http://www.amazon.co...ks_all_1#disc_1

Double Trouble and A Bridge to the Past were performed quite well. However, I didn't enjoy the performance of Witches, Wands, and Wizards. The fast flute part was performed way too slowly. Nimbus 2000 is also on this album.

And are there any reasonable records available at all of the following?

- Irina's Theme Concert Suite

- Dartmoor, 1912 Concert Suite

- The Sea Battle and The Duel from The Adventures of Tintin

Marion's Theme = None

Irina's Theme = Use the one on the OST

Dartmoor, 1912 = None yet, use the one on the OST for now.

The Sea Battle = None

The Duel = Use The Adventure Continues from OST

The Reivers

Angela's Ashes

Born on the 4th of July

Memoirs of a Geisha

Accidental Tourist (unreleased)

The concert version from "Accidental Tourist" (love theme from...) was recorded by Richard Hayman.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/the-best-of-john-williams/id466065828 (track 3, though it seems to be misslabeled on this page).

Hardly a good performance, but the only one commercially available.

The Accidental Tourist concert piece is available as a smaller ensemble arrangement on the Keisuke Wakao Plays the Music of John Williams, which is a gorgeous performance and orchestration btw. But that CD is not very widely available at the moment I think. Sadly the only full orchestra version is the Hayman one as that particular Naxos CD to put it kindly leaves something to be desired.

Erich Kunzel's amazing SpaceCamp suite is actually the title track from the OST and the film's end titles.

His version of Marion's Theme is the cue from the score, not the actual concert version, which was only composed after KOTCS.

The Lost World is played at a faster tempo with different orchestration compared to the OST, also recorded by Kunzel.

Dry Your Tears, Afrika on the OST is different from the concert version. which was recorded fairly well by Prague.

Escapades for Alto Saxophone from Catch Me If You Can features a slightly different version of "The Float" for the third movement (called "Joy Ride", recorded on American Spectrum).

There's also If We Were In Love from Yes, Giorgio off the album Aisle Seat.

You have to feature Gerhardt's Han Solo and the Princess, one of his very best.

On the Keisuke Wakao CD the arrangement isn't by Williams himself, as oposed to the one on the Hayman one.

I am sure Williams' full orchestra arrangement was the base for the smaller ensemble orchestrations on the Wakao CD even though not directly arranged by Williams. Pieter was inquiring about both JW's and other arrangements in the original post so I thought I'd mention this.

And yes the concert suite would not exactly fit the movie but boy it is a beautiful arrangement of the thematic material from the film.

Erich Kunzel's amazing SpaceCamp suite is actually the title track from the OST and the film's end titles.

Escapades for Alto Saxophone from Catch Me If You Can features a slightly different version of "The Float" for the third movement (called "Joy Ride", recorded on American Spectrum).

The Space Camp by Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops is superb and in my opinion much brighter and more lively than the original one. Absolutely fantastic re-recording.

And I think the Escapades features even a more prominent saxophone in the suite than on the actual soundtrack recording. But as you say The Joy Ride has the most obvious added passages for the instrument.

My bad... I didn't pay enough atention and thought it was just about Williams own arranged concert versions :)

And yes, the arrangement of "The Accidental Tourist" is way to big for the film. The film requires a chamber like ensemble which Williams provided so well for the actual soundtrack. Still, the concert arrangement is gorgeus, and is as a regular on my playlists as the actual soundtrack -- which some of you will know it ranks very hight for me.

Escapades is an augmentation on the film main themes, and if memory serves, when it was first performed, Dan Higins said Williams was insane for adding so much more notes for the soloist to play!

The JFK suite (prologue, Motorcade, and Arlington) features a few bridging bars linking the pieces.

A few more as sit on a train with my iPod handy: Reivers and Jane Eyre if they haven't been mentioned already. Angela's Ashes as well. Far and Away, the arrangement for violin and orchestra. There's an arrangement of The Witches of Eastwick Williams made for piano and violin. The Patriot is expanded a little .. Maybe. Sabrina was rearranged for violin and orchestra. Days Between.. Williams conduct a slightly different version, it's on YouTube. He performed Dracula recently, was that different? Civil Rights from American Journey is expanded from the CD version. Likewise the Midway March

Argh some repeats there.. Didn't read the thread all that carefully. And didn't Williams revisit ET and Me recently?

Didn't read the thread all that carefully. And didn't Williams revisit ET and Me recently?

Williams did arrange and perform E.T. and Me with Boston Pops a couple of years ago and the piece had a few more prominent harp passages and it was renamed Stargazers. Again this has not been released anywhere officially.

The Fiddler on the Roof suite with violin solo that's performed at his live concerts is unreleased. Please tell me I'm wrong. I really want that one.

I'm also struggling to find a proper recording of the Far and Away suite. Not the violin solo one, but the proper orchestral one.

The Fiddler on the Roof suite with violin solo that's performed at his live concerts is unreleased. Please tell me I'm wrong. I really want that one.

You're wrong! :)

http://www.amazon.com/Over-Rainbow-Film-Score-Anthology/dp/B00000415S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349057114&sr=8-1&keywords=over+the+rainbow+boston+pops

nice! i might get that CD just for that track.

btw the Far and Away suite is this one. Although the majority of it is just the end credits from the OST. I haven't found any recording that has the intro.

[media=]

Thanks for all the input! I've been chasing down all of the above that I could find so far.

The JFK suite (prologue, Motorcade, and Arlington) features a few bridging bars linking the pieces.

A few more as sit on a train with my iPod handy: Reivers and Jane Eyre if they haven't been mentioned already. Angela's Ashes as well. Far and Away, the arrangement for violin and orchestra. There's an arrangement of The Witches of Eastwick Williams made for piano and violin. The Patriot is expanded a little .. Maybe. Sabrina was rearranged for violin and orchestra. Days Between.. Williams conduct a slightly different version, it's on YouTube. He performed Dracula recently, was that different? Civil Rights from American Journey is expanded from the CD version. Likewise the Midway March

Where could I find all those?

Is there a Home Alone Suite? Only thing I know is that there's a concert version of "Somewhere In My Memory".

Concert versions are featured on the soundtrack albums. There is I think only one exception, the concert version of Holiday Flight. That's on the album Joy to the World. Williams inverted the melody a bit and used it in Home Alone 2's airport scene.

Thanks for all the input! I've been chasing down all of the above that I could find so far.

Just about to run out the door, just quickly the JFK Suite has been performed by Williams in concert, but not recorded. Likewise The Patriot.. which I think is a little different but I'm not sure.

And the expanded Civil Rights has also not been officially released.

Here's the Stepmom piece I mentioned. Shorter than the OST version, but I haven't compared it in detail and I guess it's possible the piece starts before the video does. Either way it's great to see Christopher's guitar playing:

[media=]

Far & Away and Sabrina are on this CD: http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B0000029W9

Far and Away for violin and orchestra, The Reivers, Stepmom = http://www.amazon.co...s greatest hits

Sabrina for violin and orchestra = http://www.amazon.co...n williams 80th

Midway March = http://www.amazon.co...ms midway march

Amazon search is your friend. Although I own the first two albums so I knew right away.

Is there a Home Alone Suite? Only thing I know is that there's a concert version of "Somewhere In My Memory".

Concert versions are featured on the soundtrack albums. There is I think only one exception, the concert version of Holiday Flight. That's on the album Joy to the World. Williams inverted the melody a bit and used it in Home Alone 2's airport scene.

Williams prepared a suite called "Three Holliday Songs" with Somewhere in my Memory, Star of Bethlehem and Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas. The first two are on the "Joy to the World" album, the third has been recorded by Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops on their first Christmas CD.

There is a sort of suite recorded in Japan and released on a somewhat hard to find disc...

http://www.jw-collection.de/misc/tokyo.htm

This cd has a very nice ESB suite:

http://www.amazon.co...m and tv themes

Who's performing?

I think it's an ad hoc ensemble of LA musicians, called the Hollywood Film Festival Orchestra. There is another volume with more music by the Golden Age composers including a nice rendition of The Sea Hawk Main Title and also including the Superman March.