World Premiere of published version of Dartmoor 1912 - Golden State Pops - May 19 in LA

foxfilmmusic

Great Composer Tribute: John Williams

Saturday, May 19

8pm

Warner Grand Theatre, San Pedro, Ca (in Los Angeles)

www.gspo.com

War Horse

Memoirs of a Geisha with Cecilia Tsan on cello

ET

IndianaJones

Star Wars

Angela's Ashes

HarryPotter

Lost World

Tickets start at $25 presale. $45 VIP with valet, reception and reserved parking.

www.gspo.com

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either way, I'm hoping to be able to make the drive up from San Diego to catch this concert. I'm running a 5K the next day, but the program looks well worth it, so we'll see how ambitious I am!

I believe you added the NBC Nightly News theme (THE MISSION) and the Olympics Fanfare. That and Jeff Bond (more liner notes than you can shake a stick at including "Danse Macabre" in the Burton-Elfman Box) doing your stageside chat at 7:30PM gets me to San Pedro (and the spectacular Warner Grand!) pronto!

Is there any chance of the GSPO of making an audio recording of any of these concert suites in the future? This orchestra has so many connections to the film music industry, and has done so much to boost the image of film and video game music as legitimate concert music, I think it would be awesome if a project like that came into fruition.

The concert was a huge success. Immediate standing ovation with many long applauses between tunes. The concert version of Dartmoor 1912 is one of Williams' most emotional and touching pieces of music ever. Some audience members were brought to tears. Cecilia Tsan was superb on Sayuri's Theme. I could go on and on.

Unfortunately at this time none of our concert recordings are available to listen or purchase. As usual, money is an issue. If this interests you support is the answer so spread the word. I would love to create a CD of these concert suites. It is well deserved and GSPO would be perfect for the job. Now, just need the funding.

Thanks for the support!

Fox

Thanks for posting..! Tempo is a bit on the slow side, but thanks for reminding me that this was really THE score of 2011.

An excellent piece and adaptation of the material by the Maestro and a great performance. :)

Oh no!! Now how will we ever be able to hear the original "Homecoming" in concert? We already had a concert arrangement.

This new one just splices up bits and pieces from Dartmoor, Plowing, Reunion and Remembering Emily with jarring transitions and key changes. Turning the soundtrack into a three-movement suite like "Jane Eyre" or "Born on the Fourth of July" is fine, but this latest attempt to squeeze everything into 8 minutes just doesn't work as well as "Homecoming" did.

There could have been a perfect transition with that F-sharp at 4:38 to the full E-Major (or C-Sharp-Minor?) "melancholy" theme from the credits (6:16 in Homecoming). It just doesn't have the same effect on me when played in G-Major (or E-Minor?) in the new arrangement. The begining of the flute passage at 6:38 seems to be thrown off too because of this.

Homecoming is inarguably a more fluid suite of the main thematic material from the score, with wonderful nods to the style of Vaughan Williams and English pastoral music in general in its contours, but I think Williams wanted to emphasize the main theme a bit more than he does there so he compiled this piece.

What was the last score Williams put this much effort into writing concert suites of his themes that weren't just direct lifts from the rest of the score (eg: Mischief Managed and the prequel suites)?

From memory he stopped doing this sort of thing decades ago.

I think has always been very prolific in translating his film music into revised concert material. Nearly every score he has done in the last 2 decades has had some kind of suite or rethought piece performed at concerts. Memoirs of a Geisha is a recent example of where he really wrote almost another Cello Concerto based on the music from the film with new development for all the material.