Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek The Motion Picture - 2012 La La Land 3CD (and now: 2LP)

Jay

I love it too.

It's funny, when I was younger, I thought the VGER / Cloud / Flyover type cues were too boring and repetitive.  I was a fool!  They're my favorite parts of the score other than Ilia's theme

The score - and film - only get boring for me once they disembark to confront V'ger.  It's ok, it's just sort of rushed from then to the end and feels more like a tacked on TV episode ending than a good climax and denouement to something of this length.  I'd usually just rewind the tape at that point and watch again, and I basically do the same thing while listening to the score nowadays.

2 hours ago, TGP said:

The score - and film - only get boring for me once they disembark to confront V'ger.  It's ok, it's just sort of rushed from then to the end and feels more like a tacked on TV episode ending than a good climax and denouement to something of this length.  I'd usually just rewind the tape at that point and watch again, and I basically do the same thing while listening to the score nowadays.

It's a good reason why the OST is a perfect length and cuts out most of the irrelevant junk in the score. Goldsmith knew what he was doing.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I love it too.

It's funny, when I was younger, I thought the VGER / Cloud / Flyover type cues were too boring and repetitive.  I was a fool!  They're my favorite parts of the score other than Ilia's theme

Ya same here for when I was younger.  It's as very good score from beginning to the end. 

Just like Star Trek Nemesis.  The OST didn't help that one very much but in my opinion the complete score helps it A LOT better.

Nemesis needs some tinkering to reduce the amount of repetitive boring atmospheric Shinzon/Reman stuff. Once you get rid of that, it's smooth sailing. Smooth as an Android's bottom.

Yeah, but even excising the 20 minutes like I said, there's still plenty of suspense left over for contrast. Some tracks like Odds and Ends mix some minutes of suspense with awesome action.

You just don't need *that* much suspense for contrast. Then it's lacking contrast -- too many suspense cues in a row. In my humble opinion. Sometimes I do listen to the complete score again just for the heck of it.

Yavar

On 20.2.2018 at 2:07 PM, Jay said:

That's the only reason why it has become one of my Goldsmith favourites! I'm happy that there's so much V'Ger stuff on the C&C!

As for Nemisis: I have seen the program of the OST, but never owned it. But what the fuck were they thinking when they decided to omit Battle Stations and The Argo and...?!

On 21/02/2018 at 3:25 AM, Denise Bryson said:

I thought OSTs were forbidden on this forum. Besides... I don't believe you'd kill me... for a shelf of expanded scores.

(sobs, pathetically) all I have.

44 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

Anyone else heard the multi-channel SACD layer?

No, but if it's anything like the TIMELINE, and THE FIRST GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY 5.1 layer SACDs, it'll be worth listening to.

On 22.2.2018 at 10:22 AM, TGP said:

V'ger Speaks.  Isn't that one of the Fred Steiner cues?

It's this almost silent minimalistic cue which is still awesome, although barely anything happens in it.

• 5 months later...

I snapped this up in the sale, and it’s great!

What is the definitive version of Ilia’s Theme, for you?

D1T1 Overture 1:43

D2T15 Ilia’s Theme 3:00

D3T1 Overture [long version] 2:50

D3T24 Ilia’s Theme [alternate] 3:33

On 7/30/2018 at 2:02 PM, Trent B said:

I prefer the regular film Overture for Ilia's Theme. Sweet, short and to the point.

Eh. It sounds too much like an edit for me, like I accidentally started in the middle of the cue.

On 7/30/2018 at 4:52 PM, Pellaeon said:

I snapped this up in the sale, and it’s great!

What is the definitive version of Ilia’s Theme, for you?

D1T1 Overture 1:43

D2T15 Ilia’s Theme 3:00

D3T1 Overture [long version] 2:50

D3T24 Ilia’s Theme [alternate] 3:33

Whatever the version that was on the 1979 OST.

On 7/30/2018 at 9:23 PM, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

My oath of celibacy is on record, Captain.

When Ilia is around, screw celibacy!

I love hearing the first runs of the Main Title with the stage chatter and the cellos coming in early the first time. 

• 7 months later...

I want to get this. I will get this. But one thing's really bothering me about the LLL samples, and that's an unusual mix with... I'm not sure, a very wide stereo field, maybe? With my usual headphones, in many of the cues I don't "feel" it coming from a somewhat less than 180° field in front of me like usually, but, like right with the main title opening, more from 3 more or less distinct directions - one weakly in the front and two either to the sides or toward the back, triangularly. It's not always like that and I don't think this description does it justice but it's not the most pleasant. Does this bother anyone else or am I insane?

My only gripe with the film score presentation on the LLL is the synth wails in Leaving Drydock are dialled out, same with the synth chimes in the End Titles. But they remain in the OST arrangement on Disc 2. What the hell?

Well those are both present separately and unedited in both versions as I can see - just pull a switcheroo in the ripped playlist.

4 hours ago, dougie said:

My only gripe with the film score presentation on the LLL is the synth wails in Leaving Drydock are dialled out, same with the synth chimes in the End Titles. But they remain in the OST arrangement on Disc 2. What the hell?

Well the end titles is a different take (longer or shorter).