Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek The Motion Picture - 2012 La La Land 3CD (and now: 2LP)

Jay

The alternates give it a totally new dimension, and an evolutionary perspective.

The artwork here looks sumptuous.

I agree this score HAD to be released complete, if only for the alternates

I don't care too much for the Vger cloud musicparts

That's understandable. What you mentioned is the sound that you really like about it.

But I also follow the intention of the composer and this three disc set is definitely not.

"the Intention of the composer is to have 1 track, don't add anymore!"

That's understandable. What you mentioned is the sound that you really like about it.

But I also follow the intention of the composer and this three disc set is definitely not.

So you limit the things you enjoy because of what someone else says? I guess you didn't purchase 1941 or any other expansion then?

I'll be ordering the release, for sure. And if my work schedule allows me to, I'd like to go to the event, as well. I've never had half as much love for this score as many of you do, but it's still great, and I'll look forward to having the additional material in pristine quality.

Well both are practically unlimited at 10,000 copies, so you have plenty of time to get them when you can fit it into your budget. Can always ask for them as presents too:)

Our wedding anniversary is coming up

there are only a handful of John's score that are equal or better than STTMP.

Did some looking at that track listing picture, and this is what we have from the original score (I think):

1. Overture

2. Main Title / Klingon Battle

3. Total Logic

4. Floating Office

5. The Enterprise

6. Malfunction

7. Goodbye Klingons / Goodbye Epsilon Nine / Pre Launch

8. Leaving Drydock

9. Stardate / Warp Point Eight

10. No Goodbyes

11. Spock's arrival

12. Stardate / Warp Point Nine

13. Meet Vejur

14. The Cloud

15. Vejur Flyover

16. The Force Field

17. Micro Exam

18. Games / Spock Walk

19. System Inoperative

20. Hidden Information

21. Inner Workings

22. V'Get Speaks

23. The Meld / A Good Start

24. End Title

The last 3 cues are tracks 1, 2 and 3 on CD 2.

As I suspected, the third Stardate that appears after "Micro Exam" in the film was tracked from the second Stardate cue, the one before Warp Point Eight.

I really do hope that the opening notes of "Main Titles" before going into the full fledged Star Trek theme is the 1979 theatrical version and not the one used in the "Director's Edition".

I can't believe this is coming out. When I made a shortlist of absolute favourites I wanted, this was in it. I didn't expect this for a few more years. It's surreal.

So with this confirmed and the rumours about Generations coming out this year, there are only two to go...

Back in 2009 this franchise was so misrepresented on discs. Seems like ages ago now.

Karol

I think Blume lurks around here every now and then but only STTMP was enough to draw him out :P

Hopefully this means the return of the caption contest and funny stories in Other Topics :)

Again, I doubt it. It's likely he'll stick to lurking for a while. That sucks, but its probably what'll happen.

Well, if I would own one Jerry Goldsmith album, should it be this one?

IMHO which is 100% correct, this is Jerry's finest score hands down.

For me, this score and Alien are his two finest scores. Amazing he wrote them back to back.

they are a duet. You can listen to both and they have some commonality, but Star Trek the Motion Picture is Jerry's ticket to Heaven.

Well a few of the Vger cues were by Fred Steiner, and the captain's logs were by Alexander Courage.

has anyone heard Shaun Cassidy's a Star beyond Time???

I doubt it, the version used on the soundtrack releases and the DE was Jerry's intended version.

I strongly suspect we'll get the Theatrical versions of the cues here in the main body, especially considering that the DE used the album version, and that is already presented on CD 2.

Jerry's intended version for the film was probably what was used, with the album version what he intended for the LP.