Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek The Motion Picture - 2012 La La Land 3CD (and now: 2LP)

Jay

Wow, almost a thousand orders already!

It will sell faster then Hook!

well one is a quality score, the other not so much.

I'll order mine later tonight

Comfortably ordered from SAE. Along with tons of other stuff, once again.

You're telling me!

LIGHTS, CAMERA, FLUTES!

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE (3 CD)

STARGATE: ATLANTIS

HATARI! (ORIGINAL TRACKS)

CHARADE (ORIGINAL TRACKS)

OUTLAND (2CD)

BULLITT

ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN / ARSENIC AND OLD LACE (2CD)

FIRST KNIGHT

I bought Jane Eyre and Wings last week and may get around to ripping them tonight.

Don't nobody do the damn math now...

Some excellent picks. I have Jane Eyre and Don Juan in my last order, but Hatari and Charade are coming along with STTMP for me, too. And they had some Korngold operas in the used section that usually cost a fortune these days. Someone seems to have unloaded a huge batch of euro scores, there are quite some Korngolds, Shostakovichs and Theodorakis' in the list at the moment.

Star Trek VI is unlimited, like all the FSM and Intrada Star Trek expansions. Only LLL's TMP and GNP's First Contact are limited (both to 10,000 copies, so are practically unlimited)

I've quite a few real-life obligations that prevent me to order it now (damn you, bills!). It should last long enough however, so I'm planning to grab a copy at a later date.

My SAE wish list is massive. $1,015, with $140 in the shopping cart.

You do listen to it all, right?

And no, I didn't order this. This score never clicked with me, and I certainly don't need an extra disc of alternates.

I've quite a few real-life obligations that prevent me to order it now (damn you, bills!). It should last long enough however, so I'm planning to grab a copy at a later date.

Ditto.

Last night on FSM, MV said:

All orders up to 51000 have shipped or will be shipped by tomorrow morning.

MV

and

We expect to process and ship 300-400 orders per day...so you can roughly figure out when your order will ship.

MV

and

Do you guys pack and ship orders all day, or is it in the afternoon mostly?

9 am to 9 pm

MV

Source: http://filmscoremont...mID=1&archive=0

Last night on FSM, MV said:

All orders up to 51000 have shipped or will be shipped by tomorrow morning.

MV

I'm 51004...darn the luck! Oh well....patience. One day isn't a big deal.

And I'm sure the sequel scores aren't bad, but I don't really feel like shelling out a hundred bucks for the whole set when all I really want is the first score. Oh well...someday!

I had the same mindset, but Trent B was awesome enough to offer his set to me. Try looking around on the secondary market. I'm sure you could find one for around $70 or so.

Yeah I managed to snag a copy from an FSM seller for I think $80.

I'm listening to the Cinematic Sound Radio LLL Bonus Show, and the clips from TMP sound fantastic. Still deciding if I should get this set.

My SAE wish list is massive. $1,015, with $140 in the shopping cart.

You do listen to it all, right?

Well the wish list is stuff I don't own, so they're mostly scores I'm already familiar with but want to explore fully. Mainly Italian westerns that run $40 a pop, hence why they've been sitting there for years.

The cart has stuff I'd like to purchase first, and will probably do so once I build up the funds to do so. Alas, my Intrada cart is around $250 I think, and then there's the score this thread is about.

I forgot to order mine yesterday, oh well. It's ordered now.

Mine shipped today, but based on past experience it wont make it all the way to Arizona until Saturday or even Monday.

No real hurry, we've heard much of it before.

. “John Davis at Precision Audiosonics baked each of the 37 rolls in a convection oven at 110º for eight hours so that they were playable,

Ok, I haven't been following all the discussions, but I've never heard of master tapes having to be cooked.

This set sounds pristine and better than the old boots...right?

Tape baking is risky, but sometimes the only way to make the tapes playable.

It has something to do with the coating on the tapes rotting away, so the coating is baked off.

Once this happens, the tapes can be played back, but there is a very real risk of destroying the tapes.

From what I gather, it seems they encoded the entire tapes at high resolution digitally, so the music is preserved, and this digital source was used for the score presentation.

These tapes were also the source of the music used for the Directors Edition, but were recorded at the tipe at 48k, basically DVD resolution.

No the film score continues on the 2nd disc for three tracks.

I remember reading that Rambo II's tapes needed to be baked for the expansion - and they were only 14 years old by that point.

Imagine if they had to bake a holy grail Williams score and destroyed it in the process

by the time Lucasfilm decides to release the Prequels or the Indy scores complete they might have to double bake them

I remember seeing in some DVD featurette that Ben Burtt had to cook his sound effects tapes of Star Wars in order to re-use them again. At the time it was very strange to me.

Karo

MV uploaded this 600x600 artwork to Facebook, I think it makes better ipod art than the version with the banners on top and bottom

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/9594/startrek600.jpg

I remember seeing in some DVD featurette that Ben Burtt had to cook his sound effects tapes of Star Wars in order to re-use them again. At the time it was very strange to me.

Yeah, that was my first exposure to the technique, too. I immediately thought of that when I read that they'd done the same for TMP. Rest assured, everyone, the orchestra doesn't sound like it's been put in the oven. :P

Yeah, that was my first exposure to the technique, too. I immediately thought of that when I read that they'd done the same for TMP. Rest assured, everyone, the orchestra doesn't sound like it's been put in the oven. :P

no lots of screaming and begging?

no lots of screaming and begging?

O mum shee vai, O mum shee vai....Kali MAA! :kaboom:

On 07/06/2012 at 9:46 AM, Jason LeBlanc said:

MV uploaded this 600x600 artwork to Facebook, I think it makes better ipod art than the version with the banners on top and bottom

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/9594/startrek600.jpg

I prefer this one:

http://marianold.schedenig.name/gfx/goldsmith_autograph.jpg

There is no comparison.

Indeed it does. :)

I've been listening to this almost constantly since getting it, and I'm STILL eager for more.

I find the new mix to be fantastic, and I'll likely never go back to the OST again, even though I have it on the end of CD 2.

It's interesting, but there is a clarity, and I guess I could call it transparency here that is very pleasing to the ear.

I expected it to sound better than the OST, but I never expected this.

I dare say, for me at least, that THIS is a perfect soundtrack presentation.