Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek The Motion Picture - 2012 La La Land 3CD (and now: 2LP)

Jay

Uh oh... the fact that it is already posted on Aint It Cool News may make this thing sell a bit faster, heh. Not that 10,000 copies will sell out in even a month, but still. This is a BIG deal, as we all know. I'd definitely try and get it within the first 2 months of release, just in case. Anyone else think so?

At 10,000 copies, it won't sell out before their license expires, I will guarantee it. It's as good as unlimited.

Alright, Jason. :) I just don't always know the power of certain fanbases. Sometimes people go ballistic! lol.

It took 4 months to sell 5,000 copies of Star Trek V, which while being a less popular score than V, also never had a prior expansion. This one is more expensive than Trek V, plus already had a prior expansion that is far most cost effective than this new CD.

I predict it will sell 5,000 copies by the time the holidays are over, and then just be a solid earner every year until their license expires. We'll never see a low quantity alert.

While it IS one of the most popular film scores of all time on top of being a Star Trek score, there's still only so many people that buy $35 expansions of scores to 33 year old movies.

Looks like amazing work by La La Land and Botnick. I cannot wait to get my hands on this! I'm almost drooling.

Uh oh... the fact that it is already posted on Aint It Cool News may make this thing sell a bit faster, heh. Not that 10,000 copies will sell out in even a month, but still. This is a BIG deal, as we all know. I'd definitely try and get it within the first 2 months of release, just in case. Anyone else think so?

It'll also be on The Digital Bits. I posted on Bill Hunt's Facebook wall earlier suggesting he mention this on his site.

So, what's on this that isn't on the 20th Anniversary release. If I'm going to shell out the 40.00, and all I'm getting is 2 or 3 new tracks and the original album release - which I already have - and ticking off the wife cause I have YET ANOTHER release of this soundtrack (she doesn't get why I already have two versions of the same thing), I'd like to know that there is a ton of new, good stuff on it that hasn't been out there before.

There is a ton of new, good stuff on it that hasn't been out there before.

While it IS one of the most popular film scores of all time on top of being a Star Trek score, there's still only so many people that buy $35 expansions of scores to 33 year old movies.

There may not be that many but I proudly count myself as one of them... Holy smokes this looks good!

Well both are practically unlimited at 10,000 copies, so you have plenty of time to get them when you can fit it into your budget. Can always ask for them as presents too:)

Thank God I am not interested in this. Both Chinatown and Jane Eyre are enough for me for a time being, given current $ level compared to Zloty and general shortage of money due to other expenses.

Can always ask for them as presents too:)

Indeed. :) Williamsfan301, you definitely won't regret getting this release. As Jason said it'll have a wealth of new music that has never been released before.

Thank God I am not interested in this.

Please tell me you're joking.

Yes. Everyone likes and dislikes different scores, and there's nothing wrong with that.

No, I am not, at least for now. Star Trek TMP is far from being my favourite Goldsmith's score or even Star Trek score for that matter (I prefer Horner's TWOK), I already have the original album which I am wine with, besides I find Chinatown and Jane Eyre more essential purchases especially being short on money. I don't discard the idea of buying this set, but I am in no need to do it in the near future.

It looks like Aint It Cool News was sent a nice high-res image of the front cover:

startrektmptraycoverlq.jpg

Source: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55816

Looks really handsome, this cover. The best version of this artwork yet.

And yeah, this score is a must. Moreso than V. It just flows beautifully, largely because it underscores long and silent sequences and pretty much carries the whole film in its shoulders. It is as good as film music gets. And yeah, I'm stating the obvious.

Karol

Ugh.

While I don't share Neimoidan's disinterest, I'm not actively planning to buy this either. Got a few tracks, but most of it doesn't click.

How will you cope with such news? :P

Oh my poor unemployed wallet!

While I don't share Neimoidan's disinterest, I'm not actively planning to buy this either. Got a few tracks, but most of it doesn't click.

That was my first reaction. Then one day I listened to it and suddenly "got it". I don't understand anymore why it didn't click with me. Now it evokes on me emotions that not many scores do. It has that edge of sheer adventure like Herrmann's Journey to the Center of the Earth and the like. I listen to it, and I remember something Carl Sagan said: "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known".

Ugh.

Your opinion is WRONG!

;)

This is one of the mysterious things, which I cannot understand... why want a complete score of this one?

The original album is a bit underrepresented, okay I can understand. I prefer Goldsmith's vision, where he chose tracks to expand the score in 1998, but even in the expanded edition some tracks are redundant. Apart from that, this score is not that good.

So I am not interested. I pass.

but even in the expanded edition some tracks are redundant. Apart from that, this score is not that good.

:eh:

With that there, I wouldn't know how too explain it to you. People want a complete version of this because a)The score sounds amazing and sweeping and intriguing and beautiful b) The score doesn't actually feel redundant, but short!

I want to get lost in its soundscape but it doesn't let me. This is the reason why, despite being one of my absolute favourite scores, I don't go through it that much. I can't stand learning it by heart. I want that gorgeous feeling of listening to for the first few times.