Reminder - Williams Cello Concerto live webcast on air now!

tannhauser

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea if this webcast will be re-aired? Was at work on the west coast and couldn't tune it in on my phone.

TJH

I'm attending tonight's performance. I wonder if there's a chance of Williams attending. He must have wrapped up the Lincoln recordings in Chicago, and Detroit would be just a short hop on the way to Boston for rehearsals.

I'm attending tonight's performance. I wonder if there's a chance of Williams attending. He must have wrapped up the Lincoln recordings in Chicago, and Detroit would be just a short hop on the way to Boston for rehearsals.

Where did you read/hear Williams was in Chicago recording Lincoln in the previous days?

USA Today article from January/February, plus the BMI article that's on the forum's main page. I assume that's why the Boston concerts were delayed by a week compared to the last few years.

Williams was not among the audience in Detroit, though his Cello Concerto appeared to be well received.

For those who have listened to the webcast, anyone notice the changes in the orchestral introduction in the first movement? It seems the trumpets were at least an octave higher than on the Yo-Yo Ma BSO recording. The end seemed different too. Did Williams revise the piece at some point?

The rest of the concert was also quite interesting. Never heard of Cindy McTee but her Symphony No. 1 was actually very "filmic" in sound. It is subtitled as a "Ballet for Orchestra" but the first and final movements sounded quite dramatic. The Resphigi Pines of Rome also closed the concert in a spectacular fashion with extra trumpets in the boxes/loges... a live experience no recording can match.

This concert marked the premiere of the newly revised Cello Concerto. Besides the opening phrase there are numerous little alterations, namely in the orchestration. The final movement have this just gorgeous quasi mahlerian passage... can't wait for the Naxos release.

This concert marked the premiere of the newly revised Cello Concerto. Besides the opening phrase there are numerous little alterations, namely in the orchestration. The final movement have this just gorgeous quasi mahlerian passage... can't wait for the Naxos release.

Indeed the revised version is absolutely fantastic. I like it as much or even better than the version recorded for Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams album. I can't wait for the release either. :)

I adore the whole concerto but simply love the final movement to bits.

Just reading this thread now...I had no idea Williams had revised the cello concerto! Can't wait to hear Naxo's recording. Hopefully it's not just a digital download.

I just listened to the cello concerto yesterday, and it's great. I love how Williams contrasts rhythmically strong ideas with melodically strong ideas in the piece, it's very effective.