3. Kick-Ass

4. The Adventures of Tintin

5. Watchmen

6. Superman II

7. The Dark Knight

8. Sin City

9. 30 Days of Night

10. Hellboy

Special mentions: The Punisher (huge guilty pleasure). Batman Returns (it's like a bloated broadway musical version of Batman which jettisoned the songs last minute).

It seems I'm having a hard time even coming up with a top 10 at all. Superhero stuff never really interested me and as far as comic books are concerned,

they don't make too many movies of the ones I actually like. For me, these types of movies need to have "something extra" for me to actually like them a lot.

Anywhere, here's my definite favourites:

1. The Adventures of Tintin - Adventure + great John Williams music + pirates = brilliant fun!

2. The Incredibles - Brilliant humour + good music = brilliant fun!

3. Superman: The Movie - Great John Williams music compensates for my general disinterest in superheroes

4. The Rocketeer - More of a period adventure with good music

5. Astérix & Obélix: Mission Cléopâtre - Just plain hilarious. Definitely the best live-action Asterix and Obelix film

6. Captain America: The First Avenger - Similar to The Rocketeer in that it seems more like a period adventure with generally good music

1 - The Dark Knight

2 - The Adventures of Tintin

3 - Batman Begins

4 - Ang Lee's Hulk

5 - Superman the Movie

6 - Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

7 - History of Violence

8 - Asterix and Obelix: Mission Cleopatra

9 - Watchmen

10 - Batman Returns

1. Superman: The Movie

The rest I actually have to think about. But I feel like Scott Pilgrim needs to be mentioned before this thread can continue.

Superman the Movie is the best.

Stepping outside the box and looking at the film structurally, component by component, trying to be as fair as possible it still stands the test.

Acting...Christopher Reeve, Margot Kidder, and Gene Hackman are all first rate. Kidder is not a conventional beauty by any means but she's pretty enough and she plays Lois with spunk and moxie. Hackman is just a delight. He gives what is possibly the best comedic villain portrayal of all time, sorry Heath but your performance while great is more one note than Hackman. Christopher Reeve give a stellar performance hitting all the right notes. His Clark is bumbling, funny, sympathetic, and packed with Humility. His Superman is strong, intelligent, kind, resourceful, and vulnerable. The ensemble cast does a great supporting job including Brando and Cooper. Big props to Valerie Perrine.

Directing. Donner guides the film and his cast on an epic scale. No other superhero film or comic book movie is this broad this wide of scope. He guides the three acts to a satisfying end.

Cinematography, Geoffrey Unsworth....what else needs to be said.

Screenplay, some of Hollywoods best wrote this fable with great lines and great set pieces. It doesn't get any better than...Peter Pan flew with children Lois in a fairytale, or Easy Miss I've got you. You... you've got me? Who's got you? Why did you kiss me first? I didn't think you'd let me later.

Original Score. John Williams....what else needs to be said.

John Barry's production design is first rate, so much so that it's survived the test of time into the 21st century. Lex's subway set is just incredible.

Special effects, okay so this isn't always successful, but when you first see Superman fly, it's real and it's awesome. When Superman rescues Lois from the Helicopter and then takes off and does the backwards flyoff...wow. Other times is not so good but it really never detracts from the film and your suspension of disbelief.

Is Superman perfect? No, but as I've said over and over it's perfect entertainment.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19781215/REVIEWS/41011001

As origins movies go, it's unparalleled.

I feel like Scott Pilgrim needs to be mentioned before this thread can continue.

That's actually a very good point.

I'm a big comic fan (not so much the books but the characters) so my list doesn't necessarily go in terms of quality

1. The Dark Knight

2. Marvel's The Avengers

3. Superman: The Movie

4. Watchmen

5. Spider-Man 2

6. Batman Begins

7. Daredevil: Director's Cut

8. Iron Man

9. A History of Violence

10.Batman (1989)

Just missed the Top 10: The Punisher, Superman 2, The Incredible Hulk

Avengers-TDK (I really cannot choose)

Batman Begins

Spider-Man 2

Kick-Ass

Hulk

Spider-Man

Iron Man

Batman Returns

Thor

X-Men : First Class

Honorable mentions :

X2, X-Men, Wanted, SM3, B89,Scott Pilgrim, Daredevil (Directors Cut).

1. Unbreakable

2. Dark Knight

3. The Incredibles

4. Spiderman 2

5. Spiderman

6. Adventures of Tintin

7. X-men 1st Class

8. The Avengers

9. Superman: The Movie

The other super hero movies I've seen aren't good enough to be on a top 10 list. I don't watch a lot of super hero/comic book movies.

spiderman movies better than Superman, Indy you slay me with that kind of idiocy.

1-Superman the Movie

2-Kick-Ass

3-Superman 2

4-Spiderman

5-Batman 1989

6-Watchmen

7-Incredible Hulk (the one with Edward Norton)

8-Ironman (the first one, hated 2)

9-Dark Knight (only for the Joker)

10-??? the rest are pretty much all the same to me , Captain America, Avengers, X-Men ,Thor, Green Lantern..whatever

You know what else? The score to AotC is better than the score to RotJ.

whatever.

Hmm... I don't think I've even seen ten superhero movies. I just watched Marvel's The Avengers and thought it was fairly entertaining, though. Not top five box office great, but worth seeing, nonetheless.

Films = not interested.

As for scores:

SUPERMAN - Williams (if only the first half for its staggering mixture of Wagnerian pathos, bubblegum marches, robust americana etc.)

ROCKETEER - Horner, when he actually could (a)rouse you with one of his finest love themes to boot

BATMAN RETURNS - Elfman, quirky and finally a comic score which sounds like one; the catwoman and penguin themes are Elfman par excellence

THE SHADOW - Goldsmith, trashy movie (as was customary for Goldsmith assignments), but he sure found some fun in it; rhythmically complex and full of sturm&drang, it's one of the best and entertaining later Goldsmith scores; look out for the percussion-vs-Shadow theme halfway through CHEST PAINS!

BATMAN FOREVER - Goldenthal, a real killer with everything but the kitchen sink thrown in; a musical journey from Corigliano to Herrmann, compositionally much more academic than Elfman but still on the same zaniness page

HULK - Elfman; the main theme is a kinky and playful six note riff and is worked through variations which should put Zimmer to shame. The eastern vocals are a nice touch, even if they are Danna leftovers

ADVENTURES OF TINTIN - Williams, just to honor a late throwback to oldschool JW fun.

No love for Robocop?

I have an awful lot of love for "RoboCop", it being one of the best films of the 80s, but is it based on a comic strip?

I've never seen the Donner cut.

You should; it is very, very good.

No-one's mentioned "The Road To Perdition", yet.

Why not, it follows the classic structure of the Superhero origin story.

Why not, it follows the classic structure of the Superhero origin story.

I have an awful lot of love for "RoboCop", it being one of the best films of the 80s, but is it based on a comic strip?

the poll doesnt not specify that it has to be based on a comic.

I see what you're saying and I guess you might be right, but I've always just thought of it as an uber-violent satire, with Robocop and Murphy acting as the noble axis for the mayhem. Most superhero movies don't have the blatant social and political subtext of Robocop.

7. Daredevil: Director's Cut

Honorable mentions :

Daredevil (Directors Cut).

Is the DC that film vastly superior to the TC? I'd like to hear you guys' thoughts.

No-one's mentioned "The Road To Perdition", yet.

It might be based on a graphic novel but it doesn't feel comic book super hero to me. There's no fantasy element in the movie.

No love for Limitless? I thought it was one of the better comic book movies not based on a comic book of the last few years.

Alex

Limitless really changed my mind about Cooper which I always thought of as a glossy, bling-bling boy. Perhaps it's because he plays an anti-hero. I think he silenced a lot of critcs with Limitless.

Alex - who hates the term "bling-bling"

Limitless was a really cool idea for a story, and they got a good cast together. I thought the script needed one more rewrite to be really good

Yeah, they say the script is uneven but the film did manage not to lose its grip on me. Before we started watching, I was almost certain I was going to fall asleep again.

No no no. Move it back to comics only. And that Swanson movie was god awful. James Marsters and David Boreanaz much better.

Incredibles, great score.......

Well, this is a movie thread!

No one actually saw that movie with Kristy Swanson as B!

I saw it, it was never as bad as people say.