James Horner - The Amazing Spider-man

Jay

I suppose I could, and I could probably almost believe it, but not quite.

I got my CD today, finally.

And yes, it is probably one of the best Horners in... well... a long, long, long while. And it gets better with each listen and after watching the film (I want the whole thing!). I like most of his works (especially since 2003), which doesn't mean I'm not aware of his practices. But this score rocks! It's amazing how much feeling he managed to pour into this film. Rare thing really. There are only a handful of composers who could get away with it these days. And I really like his main theme. Good to have him around.

Karol

Got back from the movie. Score is great, but I like elfman/young's contributions more (CY's being my favorite of them, and one of my favorites ever), and the movie was definitely better than I expected. Alot was a retread of SM02', however.

Ya the next time I see some idiotic comment like that, I'm going freak out on someone....

Elfman's rising and falling chords cleverly suggest Spidey's web slinging, But it's a motific idea, not a fully fleshed out theme (which has never really been Elfman's forte anyway)

I concur.

Christopher Young's Black Spider-Man theme was more memorable. And Horner's is miles ahead of both of them.

Karol

Elfman's rising and falling chords cleverly suggest Spidey's web slinging, But it's a motific idea, not a fully fleshed out theme (which has never really been Elfman's forte anyway)

Has your brain been taken by aliens who eliminated the centre for hearing while you were gone?

With the Goblin and Doc Ock themes, Elfman came up with at least two that are equal to Horner's and certainly better than Young's.

:rolleyes:

I concur.

Christopher Young's Black Spider-Man theme was more memorable. And Horner's is miles ahead of both of them.

Karol

ROTFLMAO

It is. I can't understand this strange fondness for the thing everyone complained about ten years ago. If you don't believe me check the archives of different film music sites.

Karol

I got the soundtrack the other day and it's been in the car. That is my favorite place to listen to music.

Very good score.

I got the soundtrack the other day and it's been in the car. That is my favorite place to listen to music.

Very good score.

I was gonna wait a little more to get it, but a Joey endorsement has robbed me of $9 on iTunes.

Very good score.

I was gonna wait a little more to get it, but a Joey endorsement has robbed me of $9 on iTunes.

You do realize that I actually have more Horner scores than Goldsmith scores. I'm going to download his Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Horner playing the piano....I'm there.

Very good score.

You do realize that I actually have more Horner scores than Goldsmith scores. I'm going to download his Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Horner playing the piano....I'm there.

Yeah, but you generally have good taste.

Does that make sense? If you like it, I generally like it. If you don't like it, I still might like it, there's plenty of those. But the stuff you like generally tends to be stuff I find to be at least enjoyable as well.

Do you really need me to hum the theme to you?

It kick's the shit out of Horner's hero theme. It's Elfman's great superhero theme in my opinion. The thing he happens to be good at. Very good.

However what Elfman does through the scores is quoting small parts of a long theme in a different order to the original exposition in the main titles as needed, creating in some people the illusion that there isn't a theme there, while all the parts are clearly there.

I need to listen to Young's Spider-Man, I enjoy his work a lot and I think I'll love it.

It kick's the shit out of Horner's hero theme.

:blink:

So let us clarify something: you're actually saying that theme that can be heard here at 0:39 (and then 0:55, 1:48):

is actually better than the theme heard here (2:25-4:00)?

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDXv5EMFHcQ

Seriously?

Karol

Yes.

I like how Elfman's theme is a theme of anticipation instead of a triumphal one, before also turning triumphal (much more triumphal). It's got a rising development and a structure in sections more fun that this track you put that repeats the same four phrase idea a few times. The swinging ostinato is really neat. And the orchestration sounds less forced, Horner obviously fires all the artillery at the same time wanting to wow you, Elfman's approach just works.. Coooler use of electronics and rythms, with details like the trumpet solo and the rythm calming down at the end. There's also, in the second score, the interpolation of Doc Ock's theme (a campy fun villain theme much in the vein of the one in Chicken Run, for example), and the really simple but cool addition of the two note choir idea.

That Horner cue, is of course perfectly listenable, but it sounds more generic and way less intense to my ears. Horner has done better. For a recent heroic theme by Horner, this one is amazing:

or 6:59 here

[media=]

Zorro and The Rocketeer got better themes that Spidey from Horner. His Spidey is cute, though.

Yes, but you seem to be amazed (pun unintended) by the treatment of the Elfman's theme than the actual tune. And with that I can't argue - he does some really cool things with all his thematic material. I very much like his scores. There are actually three Spider-Man themes he wrote: the heroic one (which I'm referring to), the angst of Spider-Man theme and power and responsobility theme. I like the other two more than the main one. All of them make an appearance in the main title. The main idea itself is not really inspired. Horner's theme feels more like something from an old film, like Rocketeer or something. It is more obvious and direct, which I think is crucial to Spider-Man. It might be too in-your-face for modern audience, but I think that suits the character.

I never really warmed up to the Avatar theme you posted.

Well, I guess our tastes are very different.

Karol

It kick's the shit out of Horner's hero theme.

:blink:

So let us clarify something: you're actually saying that theme that can be heard here at 0:39 (and then 0:55, 1:48):

is actually better than the theme heard here (2:25-4:00)?

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDXv5EMFHcQ

Seriously?

Karol

Yup. As I've said before, Elfman's theme is the perfect musical embodiment of Spiderman

Yes, but you seem to be amazed (pun unintended) by the treatment of the Elfman's theme than the actual tune. And with that I can't argue - he does some really cool things with all his thematic material. I very much like his scores. There are actually three Spider-Man themes he wrote: the heroic one (which I'm referring to), the angst of Spider-Man theme and power and responsobility theme. I like the other two more than the main one. All of them make an appearance in the main title. The main idea itself is not really inspired. Horner's theme feels more like something from an old film, like Rocketeer or something. It is more obvious and direct, which I think is crucial to Spider-Man. It might be too in-your-face for modern audience, but I think that suits the character.

I never really warmed up to the Avatar theme you posted.

Well, I guess our tastes are very different.

Aaaaaah. I was thinking of it all as the same long theme all the time. It sounds cohesive to me, in that sense, as it flows forward so well. Even then, I like the hero part a lot (really adventurous), but it's the combination of it all that finally makes me like it better than Horner's theme.

What I love about Horner's theme is that it uses the bright hero trumpet very prominently. I don't think I've heard a hero trumpet theme for a superhero in ages.

It is exciting.

I guess this is what Hans Zimmer recently described as "bullshit heroic".

I'm sorry. Elfman's theme for Spider-Man sucks--gorges itself---on hairy spider reproductive organs. And I glanced someone saying it's Elfman's best hero theme.

AHEM. Batman just called, he would like to pummel you into a wall right about...now.

This is the first time i've heard Horner's theme, but I definitely like Elfman's more. Horner's is too predictable.

Elfman's Spiderman suffers the most horrible of things, it's forgettable.

I'm sorry. Elfman's theme for Spider-Man sucks--gorges itself---on hairy spider reproductive organs. And I glanced someone saying it's Elfman's best hero theme.

AHEM. Batman just called, he would like to pummel you into a wall right about...now.

http://youtu.be/ONkdlhQavs0

What I love about Horner's theme is that it uses the bright hero trumpet very prominently. I don't think I've heard a hero trumpet theme for a superhero in ages.

Really?

[media=]

-Erik-

Just wanted to remind everyone that this is the thread to discuss Horner's SCORE.

Discussion of the actual MOVIE should be held here:

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 Reboot film)

I've moved the posts discussing the movie to that thread.

• 2 weeks later...

True chronological order for those who like to split tracks:

01 Main Title / Young Peter (4:54)

05 The Briefcase (3:14)

07a Secrets (2:30) [0:00-1:05] (1:05)

06 The Spider Room - Rumble In The Subway (3:20)

07b "Meatloaf" (2:30) [1:05-end] (1:25)

04 Hunting For Information (2:07)

08a The Equation [0:00-2:24] (2:24) (4:22)

03 Playing Basketball (1:22)

09 The Ganali Device (2:28)

10 Ben's Death (5:41)

02 Becoming Spider-man (4:16)

11b "A Narrow Escape" [1:50-end] (1:14)

08b "Connor's Dream" [2:24-end] (1:58)

11a Metamorphosis [0:00-1:50] (1:50)

12 Rooftop Kiss (2:34)

13 The Bridge (5:15)

14 Peter's Suspicions (3:01)

15 Making a Silk Trap (2:52)

16 Lizard At School! (2:57)

17 Saving New York (7:52)

18 Oscorp Tower (3:22)

19 I Can't See You Anymore (6:50)

20 Promises - Spider-man End Titles (4:52)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...