What movies make you emotional or cry by their craftmanship?

filmmusic

Clearly there are many films that sway our emotions for different reasons, but then there are those films that ride a wave of different emotions throughout a film or a sequence.

Look at Jaws, specifically when Brody is chumming and says shovel some of this shit and you laugh and the shark's head appears and you scream all in one continuous moment. It's quite a feat and one of Spielberg's favorite moments in all his work.

Then in another Spielberg film you laugh, you laugh a lot, more than most comedy films. People forget just how fun E.T. is. There are belly laughs within, but then there are moments that shock you, that scare you. Then your anger comes into play, then the film makes you cry because it's sad, but later at the end it makes you cry because it's joyous. Is it manipulative? Hell yes. Few films are more manipulative than E.T, but that's okay because it is a wonderful film experience.

Look at Jaws, specifically when Brody is chumming and says shovel some of this shit and you laugh and the shark's head appears and you scream all in one continuous moment. It's quite a feat and one of Spielberg's favorite moments in all his work.

I always thought Spielberg wasn't appreciated enough for his sense of comedy, and timing. This is a great example: "shovel some of this..." we chuckle.....sharks head appears we gasp....."Your going to need a bigger boat"...we laugh. Great stuff.

I don't scream when the shark appears, I cheer. Eat 'em all, I say, but he only ever eats one of them.

you screamed like a little girl and then you wet um. Admit it and you shall be set free.

Untrue. Jaws never scared me, but I didn't watch it -- and appreciate it -- until I was in either high school or college, and old enough to not be scared.

When I was younger, I remember that we rented Jaws 2 and 3 and that I preferred Jaws 2, but I don't remember if we also rented the original.

I will freely admit to, as a child, being scared by Raiders -- the ghost sequence, particularly the ghost that looks at the camera and disintegrates, which causes Toht to scream -- and Tremors 1 -- when Valentine picks the hat from the ground to reveal a head underneath. The skeleton sequence in TLC also spooked me, but never made me run out of the room like the other two. I just got uncomfortable about it; now, I think they're just cool.

There was one moment of the Punky Brewster TV series with spooky heads in the wall that wigged me out and made me change the channel, but I have not been able to find what episode it was so that I can watch it again as a man and face my fear.

I also remember being anxious when watching JP2: The Lost World in theaters for fear they would show a compsognathus ripping somebody's eyeball out. For reasons unknown, I didn't want to see that.

There. I have said too much and given you too much insight into my inner fears.

I already knew. but so we're even here are some things that scare me or otherwise bother me. Feet, people in sandals especially if their feet are filthy. False Teeth and corpses in a funeral home.

Hell, now that summer's here, the only time I ever need to wear socks and shoes is to work or for something formal. Any other time, I'm in sandals. As long as I keep my toenails trimmed, I appreciate being able to keep my feet cool.

Feet, really?

yes, it's one of the things I noticed when I worked at B&N all those years, people do not wash their feet. I am truly repulsed by toenails filled with dirt. Now not all are dirty but think of it as the one bad apple in the barrel.

• 6 years later...

Some moments that brought tears to my eyes:

The blocking and editing in the big emotional revelations scene in The Breakfast Club.

The close-ups of increasing focus on the painting and Cameron's eyes (intercut with Ferris kissing Sloane) in the museum scene in Ferris Bueller's Day Off

The final swells of Williams's score as Spielberg focuses on Elliot's face in E.T. 

Also, when I watched On Her Majesty's Secret Service For the first time I waved my fists in triumph at the conclusion of the sequence when Bond escapes Piz Gloria, when an exhausted, nervewracked and hunched down Bond (and the dwelling camera) looks up to see Tracy skate to a stop in front of him.  It is a perfect culmination, and, at that very moment, the film completely sells the romance and marriage plot.

Braveheart. I watched it to wash the aftertaste of Endgame.

I could ramble on about its patient build-up, its expert differentiation of the different action sequences, its sublime cinematography. But I'll say this:

I cried. Partially from the drama, partially from being at awe by some of the craft.

I  cried here:

braveheart(1995)_0462.jpg

and here:

braveheart(1995)_0650.jpg (1920�1080)

One of the best shots ever put to film:

braveheart(1995)_0794.jpg (1920�1080)

Goddamit! The score here is something else:

braveheart(1995)_1839.jpg (1920�1080)

These:

braveheart(1995)_3163.jpg (1920�1080)braveheart(1995)_4496.jpg (1920�1080)braveheart(1995)_7135.jpg (1920�1080)braveheart(1995)_7343.jpgbraveheart(1995)_7558.jpg (1920�1080)braveheart(1995)_9468.jpg (1920�1080)

By this - the second to last shot - I was in bits.

braveheart(1995)_9756.jpg

Movie's a fucking masterwork!

1 hour ago, The Original said:

She makes me horny.

Yet another thing this movie does!

1 hour ago, The Original said:

I simply have a difficult time believing people full-on sobbing their guts out at a movie.

What else are movies for?

Narrative film is just not the best medium for intellectual examination. I'd much rather turning to books for that sort of things.

Let each artform focus on what it excells at, I always say.

Guys who publicly lust over woman clearly out of their league are gay.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You should film it and put in on YouTube!

People cry on youtube to get more views (money).

Just now, The Original said:

I'm more interested in why anyone would watch that.

People watch it to maintain or restore their faith in humanity. People can't be bad if they cry. The world is still okay. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess you should know!

I don't lust over woman out of my league. I always ALWAYS like men. But closeted gay men are quick to point out women they would do. But the truth is those women would never do you. 

55 minutes ago, The Original said:

I'm more interested in why anyone would watch that.

I do not understand that but some of these You tube stars make multiple millions

If you want to make me cry show me a sad dog movie.

Or a scene like Pepper telling Tony that they would be okay, he can rest now. Those are real words you say to a dying spouse. I should know.

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I don't lust over woman out of my league. I always ALWAYS like men. But closeted gay men are quick to point out women they would do. But the truth is those women would never do you. 

But a gay male model would do us? 

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

But a gay male model would do us? 

You cannot assume the inverse is true.