The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

16 hours ago, loert said:

Can't get enough of the section between 3:47:03 - 3:54:20:

That's a great opera and Wagner's masterpiece.  Seeing it live, the ending packs quite a punch. 

The only piece of music I could ever seriously recommend is beyond perfection in its imaginative vision:

40 second part #1 (Dancing with the Prince of the Forest)

40 second part #2 (Dancing with the Angels)

I thought this was a lovely nocturnal piece.  Somewhere between Scriabin and Debussy.

Benjamin Britten doesn't get enough love here.  Peter Grimes is one of the greatest operas of the 20th century and I highly recommend those of you who enjoy opera to listen to the work in its entirety.  It is dramatic and oozes with evocative atmosphere and originality.  I prefer the composers recording (he was an excellent conductor):

I would like to recommend Henri Dutilleux.  In particular there is a CD that I can't find on Spotify nor youtube to link but this is the CD:

http://www.bis.se/index.php?op=album&aID=BIS-1651

It is his early music but they are all of consistently high quality, evocative, and very finely written.  I loved this CD so much I listened to it twice in a row.  The music is a wonderful amalgamation of 20th century french music.  You get the impressionists and the Messiaen style ondes martinon, post Ravel, plus those influenced by Wagner as well (Cesar Frank, D'Indy, etc).  I loved this CD and DEFINITELY must explore this composer further. 

Ah, love him.  Along with Takemitsu and Koechlin he was sort of my gateway drug into that niche of composers.  I get the feeling that Williams is a fan, too. 

Currently listening to the Naxos recording of Williams' Cello Concerto with Slatkin conducting and Robert DeMaine.  Very good performance in my opinion, in what I believe is the most up-to-date version, reinstating the big opening from the orignial, and maintaining that great climax/re-climax ending with all the other changes made in the 2013 (?) version.

Considering this is alive recording, the Cello has a nice timbre and the balance is good.  I like this performing version the best and I'm trying to re-acclimate myself to it.  I like the changes in some of the soloing lines.  I imagine this is what will be played when I see it in a couple of weeks.  Can't wait!

Amazon.com  Williams  Cello Concerto  Robert DeMaine - MAIN_400.jpg

Some of you might be interested to know that Jim Self has written an orchestral work called "Tour de Force" which is available here:

http://instantencore.com/music/details.aspx?PId=5124095

Jim is an extraordinary tuba player and frequent John Williams performer having performed on some classic scores like Close Encounters (he was the mothership), E.T., War of the Worlds, Star Wars The Force Awakens, and a thousand other scores.  He is also an extraordinarily kind person whom I've had the great honor of playing bass trombone next to and got to hear his recollections at first seeing the tuba solo part for CEOTTK.  

From his bio:

His solos in major films include John William's scores to Jurassic Park, Home Alone and Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, Hook, and was the "Voice of the Mothership" from Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Other solos can be heard in James Horner's Casper and Batteries Not Included, Marc Shaiman's Sleepless in Seattle and in Jerry Goldsmith's score to Dennis the Menace. Later films include Wall-E, Troy, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, The Legend of Zorro, War of the Worlds, King Kong, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, The Princess and the Frog, Valentines Day, Avatar, Tintin, Toy Story 3, and recently Bridges of Spies and Star Wars 7, The Force Awakens.

The LSO performs 'Mothership', specially composed by Mason Bates, Composer-in-Residence, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, for the YouTube Symphony Orchestra 2011. This performance features example improvisers (clarinet, violin, cello, and trumpet).  

Nah. Also, Williams just needed lyrics for a song and happened to choose Shakespeare, but the text doesn't really have a lot of impact. Mäntyjärvi specifically set the text to music, with lots of matching effects.

In honor of one of my favorite composer's birthday today (April 23, 1891), I present the clumsily titled "Cantata for the 20th Anniversary of the October Revolution".  Happy 125th birthday, Sergei!

Did anyone mention Richard Strauss "Don Juan". This to me is the precursor to Korngold and then William's "Swashbuckling" scores. Difficult to play but oh so much fun. I keep trying to post the concert I was at from 2014 where Davis conducted it but for some odd reason it keeps putting in Jupiter from the planets itself..... Very odd. Just search "Strauss Don Juan Davis" It should be the one from the BBC Proms at the Albert Hall. There is also an amazing rehearsal with Karl Bohm and the Vienna Philharmonic if you like to watch those. Yeah no matter what I try and link here, it takes me to Jupiter... Very odd.

Ah, finally I can post one of them!

Throwing some more Atterberg out there.  The intended final movement of his 7th symphony which was dropped and reworked as a standalone piece, "Vittorioso".

On April 23, 2016 at 6:52 AM, Stefancos said:

Williams-hater!

Hilliams-Waiter

On 24.4.2016 at 7:11 PM, ocelot said:

There is also an amazing rehearsal with Karl Bohm and the Vienna Philharmonic if you like to watch those.

The music notwithstanding, the kvetching austrian pedant that Bohm is makes the whole thing outrageously entertaining, for native speakers anyway.

When watching that Böhm video, It's nice to see that the Philharmonic are (or were) not that much more disciplined than our amateur choir when it comes to shutting up during rehearsals. ;)

Here's another fun Strauss rehearsal, though unfortunately without subtitles and with horrible VHS quality:

On 4/26/2016 at 1:03 AM, publicist said:

The music notwithstanding, the kvetching austrian pedant that Bohm is makes the whole thing outrageously entertaining, for native speakers anyway.

Footage of Karl Böhm saying "I'll do a striptease" should be considered an international treasure.

I enjoyed this tone poem by a composer I never heard of before.  Jiri Jaroch's Old man and the Sea.  Some Vaughan Williams in it but also Jerry Goldsmith mystical and action music. 

I've been particularly enamored with the second movement of Henri Duttileux's Symphony No. 1, lately. It's a piece which showcases both an extraordinary amount of energy and virtuosity and masterful orchestration, and it's written in a very colorful harmonic language with some lovely quartal bits here and there (cf. 11:40).