The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

1 minute ago, Melange said:

Modest and reserved work. Could do with coming out of its shell a bit more. :P

Yeah, could end with a louder bang, otherwise how is the audience supposed to know when it finishes? :P

My favourite online version (tempo, etc) of this was removed from YouTube long ago, but this one (a little faster) is a good replacement.

Always serves me well to stimulate the mind and perk me up.  I whistle like a maniac bird when playing this. 

For anyone familiar with the young pianist Daniil Trifonov, this is his piano concerto, written a couple of years ago.  Very impressive indeed, and seems rare these days for a virtuoso touring soloist to also try his hand in large scale composition like this.

53 minutes ago, Jilal said:

@karelm Coincidence? Saw this minutes after reading your post.

wp_ss_20161031_0001.png

Sorry, I don't fully follow.  And what in your list are you referring to specifically?  Berlioz and Beethoven?

8 hours ago, karelm said:

Sorry, I don't fully follow.  And what in your list are you referring to specifically?  Berlioz and Beethoven?

I was referring to Kol Nidre, which was apparently haunting me!

I have this classical melody stuck in my head that I cannot identify and it is driving me insane.

I tried using Parsons code and the flash-based piano at Musipedia and no luck.

I'm totally blown away by this recording of Mahler's Third.

Imagine Williams recording the Star Wars scores with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra as featured here!

4 hours ago, Jilal said:

I'm totally blown away by this recording of Mahler's Third.

Imagine Williams recording the Star Wars scores with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra as featured here!

The 1970's and 80's CSO brass sound is very legendary among brass players both teachers and pros.  Many brass performers grew up with this sound as their role model.  Take this performance from 1981:

Solti brought an electric quality to the brass that was bold but refined.  He was a great conductor.  I saw him conduct this band a few times and it was consistently impressive.

On 11/1/2016 at 1:01 PM, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Record yourself humming it and post!

I've seriously been trying to place this melody for two days and was this close to figuring out the best way of recording myself whistling it and linking to it here when I finally just now remembered what it is!

Nothing obscure, haha.  Just:

This may be a weird request, but I'm looking for orchestral music inspired by animals, but I'm looking outside the obvious ones like Saint-Saens or Peter and the Wolf, into more obscure -and even challenging perhaps?- stuff, but whatever comes to mind could help.

1 hour ago, Muad'Dib said:

This may be a weird request, but I'm looking for orchestral music inspired by animals, but I'm looking outside the obvious ones like Saint-Saens or Peter and the Wolf, into more obscure -and even challenging perhaps?- stuff, but whatever comes to mind could help.

8 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Charles Koechlin was inspired by langur monkeys for the Les Bandar-log movement of his The Jungle Book symphonic poems.

How about And God Created Great Whales by Alan Hovhaness?  The piece even includes whalesong.

The eleventh movement of Edward Elgar's Enigma Variations is about a dog playing in the River Wye in Hereford (in fact there is a statue of said dog beside the river in Hereford).

Some obvious ones:

Then there's music that's "bigger" in its overall scope, but includes animals in one way or another. Operas are an obvious case, especially when they feature people riding horses. Take Wagner's riding motif from his Ring, famously known from the Ride of the Valkyries, but also used to great effect in other parts of the operas, like the prelude to the 3rd act of Siegfried:

The recurring theme first heard at the beginning of the finale of Bruckner's 8th symphony also represents riders:

And the secondary theme of the first movement of his 4th is a bird call, first heard at 2:31 in this clip:

Dance of the Tree Frogs by Ravel (from L'enfant et les sortilèges)

Des canyons aux étoiles... by Olivier Messiaen was inspired by the landscape and birds of Utah (and he was inspired by birds in pretty much everything he wrote, I believe):

This is the first work I heard in the music appreciation class I'm taking at school that I actually enjoyed. (We just finished the Renaissance and will soon be moving on to baroque).

The rhythms are so fun! In that general sense I'm reminded of JW's own action writing. 

This is also great (it was used in the BFG which I've been analyzing):

On 10.11.2016 at 8:18 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Then there's music that's "bigger" in its overall scope, but includes animals in one way or another.

Richard Strauss' Rosenkavalier prelude features twittering birds in the morning at 3:17 (after the graphic sex music):

2 hours ago, loert said:

What a beautiful, lyrical piece of music. 

If you thought that was beautiful, you might enjoy this tender nocturne too.  It's a little bit too soft so make sure to turn the volume up:

I also find it innovative in his orchestration the way he uses an agitato string quartet against the strings and then for the final moments has three sets of roto-toms where two are in the audience to provide an apocalyptic cataclysm.  At the premiere it was very effective.  It reminded me of his teacher JC who had a marching band and 12 trumpets enclosing the audience in Circus Maximus...which of course borrows from Brant, Ives, Mahler, and others who play with the stage/audience relationship.

21 hours ago, karelm said:

If you thought that was beautiful, you might enjoy this tender nocturne too.  It's a little bit too soft so make sure to turn the volume up:

Wow, very nocturnal. Reminds me of being woken up at night to the sound of a rushing freight train (I live close to the railway). I'm only kidding of course, I love the Gothic Symphony!

Also, I'm greatly enjoying this album:

JW grew up with this sort of stuff:

His friends included Previn and Rozsa who were both very personable and exceptionally skilled.  I think some of what Rozsa was doing in these suites is what we hear with the concert arrangements of JW's scores.  These were people who first and foremost considered themselves as Composers and as film composers secondly.