The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

Yay, it got uploaded on YouTube! ^_^

I watched it on the stream yesterday. Based on what Stravinsky said about it in his later years I thought it would literally just be some woodwind instruments playing some melodies one after the other. Turns out it is much more complicated than that! 

If you like Williams in his scherzo/whimsical mode then I guess you'll find something to like in the last movement from Prokofiev's 7th Symphony :D :

This is an important milestone in musical history.  Stravinsky's early work "Chant Funibre" written after the death of his mentor, Rimsky-Korsakov, was long thought lost.  Stravinsky said this of the lost work: "The best of my works before The Firebird".  It was rediscovered in 2015 and here is the first performance of this work in over 100 years.  It starts at roughly 45 minutes in to the broadcast.

http://www.medici.tv/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=201612&utm_content=live20161202&utm_term=stravinsky#!/valery-gergiev-stravinsky-chant-funebre

This is to me the equivalent of Rachmaninoff's early works like "The Rock" (no affiliation with Dwayne Johnson) and "Prince Rostislav".  Those are very substantial early works retaining the fingerprints of Rachmaninoff and an important part of documenting an artists development.  Stravinsky's originality is already recognizable. 

@Will Have you listened to the rest of the symphony? I get the impression that Tchaikovsky purposefully made the third movement over the top in terms of its optimism and cheerfulness in order to make the fourth movement just that much more despairing. It's a brilliant movement, and impressive how Tchaikovsky manages to keep the momentum going uninterrupted for eight minutes (no wonder that the audience at the premiere broke into applause at the end of it!). Yet when you learn what comes after it...the relentless cheerfulness can make you feel a little uneasy at the same time!

--------------------------------------

Here's another "deceptive" work I got to know lately:

The introduction with the spitting crowd is particularly thrilling!

I've never heard of this Argentinian composer, Alberto Ginastera, before today but this very short piece from his "12 American Preludes" for solo piano has me mesmerized:

If I knew more about music I'd be able to explain why I find these chords so beautiful.

On 07/12/2016 at 1:25 AM, Holly Martins said:

Ravel : Piano Concerto in G Major.83 -2. Adagio

Holly, posting an embed to another video of that one as the original one posted seems to have been removed. 

Been studying to Hovhaness this morning. The 3rd movement has long been one my favourite works. Particularly influential on me even.

On 12/15/2016 at 2:20 PM, Melange said:

Holly, posting an embed to another video of that one as the original one posted seems to have been removed. 

Sorry about that, Melange. Thanks for posting that version.

The one I posted featured the great Yuja Wang on piano. Maybe this link will work: https://youtu.be/Eh9IaiPU0so

Old school favourite of mine, here. 

First off, my favourite performance of this is not on YouTube, one by the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, under Sir Charles Mackerras.

(link)

I'd heard lots of performances of it until I got that one, but the one on that CD nailed it somehow.

However, this one on YouTube does a fine job, and a similar tempo to the one I love.

I'll never tire of what is 5:15 on the performance below, the way it comes out of nowhere again, the sheer flailing madness. 

And 5:27 was responsible for more arm flailing fist clenching demon faced air conducting in my teens than anything else I reckon. 

I am actually in search of something:

Today in music history class at school my teacher played a documentary about the history of Christmas (since it was our last full day before winter break!) It used brass renditions of various famous traditional carols. They sounded Renaissance/Baroque-ish, with orchestration and often a quick pacing all similar to this: 

Anyone know of any albums that fit that description? 

Just discovered a bunch of Philly brass ensemble recordings!

:music:

I will get to sing some of these when caroling with my very musical grandparents and cousins when we visit them in a few days. 

I'm listening to Classic FM's Christmas Carols request show and they played Nigel Hesse's Christmas Overture, a spectacular orchestral suite of carols. Could anyone  recommend me some CDs that contain more of these instrumental Christmas arrangements? The grander, the better, but only instrumental.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

I'm listening to Classic FM's Christmas Carols request show and they played Nigel Hesse's Christmas Overture, a spectacular orchestral suite of carols. Could anyone  recommend me some CDs that contain more of these instrumental Christmas arrangements? The grander, the better, but only instrumental.

There's a Boston Pops CD with Arthur Fiedler called "Special Days (A Christmas Festival)" which has these kinds of Christmas arrangements. I think it's on iTunes. 

On 12/24/2016 at 8:36 AM, loert said:

There's a Boston Pops CD with Arthur Fiedler called "Special Days (A Christmas Festival)" which has these kinds of Christmas arrangements. I think it's on iTunes. 

That's a great CD. I love the opening 9 minute medley.  Much better in the Fiedler version that the JW/BPO IMHO.

Cancel your plans for the next twenty-five minutes!  The awesome Hilary Hahn plays Max Bruch's first violin concerto with the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra under Andres Orozco-Estrada.  I saw her play this earlier this month with the London Philharmonic Orchestra (but with the same conductor and the same frock!) and it was mesmerising.

A wonderful work by an American original...

Both his Symphony NO. 1 and 2 evolve from beautiful part writing in the strings to triumphant orchestra.  I love how it evolves from Brahmsian old fashion to a triumphant finale. 

It arose in my head at work yesterday, and I was whistling endlessly. 

Trouble is, to other's ears my whistling probably sounds random, as I have the luxury of the original accompanying me in my mind. 

8 hours ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

Check this out:

Haha very cool.  I love these pieces that are really into exploring the range of sounds a trumpet can make, not just the clear, beautiful tones we know and love it for.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I'm not sure if it ts as good as JESUS' BLOOD NEVER FAILED ME YET, but it gives it a run for its money.

Listening to both are exercises in seeing how long I can hold back tears.