The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

On 2/25/2017 at 9:49 PM, nightscape94 said:

Respighi - Belkis, regina di Saba

I would love to hear the entire 80 minute work.  It seems to have never been recorded. 

The way he plays with the Shankar tune (I presume) in alternating meters is just fantastic. That's first rate Glass, in top form.

Having a foot in each world, the album really is a lovely hybrid of both sensibilities.

I tried learning to play that once. The jumps starting at 7:30 are a bitch, though...

Speaking of jumps, Alkan's "Symphony for Solo Piano" looks like fun to play:

But that's only the 4th movement. The rest of the symphony is worth checking out, too. 

I saw her in concert but forget what she played though she was intoxicating.  In the pre-concert talk she mentioned a passion for wolves (unless I am mixing her up with someone else).  Separately, I have been a life long fan of Bach's Chaccone in D minor for violin finding it one of the most sublime compositions.  Bach was just amazing.  I remember learning the prelude and fugue in C for piano and realizing how much more difficult it was to perform due to the right/left hand equality.  I really struggled with it.  His music is versatile.  I frequently perform the cello suites arranged for bass trombone and have arranged some of his seminal keyboard works for various forces ranging from solo trombone (toccata and fugue) to full orchestra (Passacaglia and Fugue in c min).  No questioning he's one of the titans of western music.

I love this composer and have posted about him before.  So sad he died while so young.  Interestingly, this symphony includes an electric guitar and a drum kit.  I just love how the violence of the first movement contrasts with the uneasy serenity of the last movement (unfortunately I couldn't find it on youtube).

18 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Somewhat overlooked, but I think the man's finest show of orchestration.

...though today I am informed by a colleague that André Caplet had a hand in some of the orchestration of the original play.  Idiot!  Moron!  Must look into just how much of the impressiveness of the piece can be attributed to him rather than Debussy himself.

I honestly have no idea in this context.  He could have basically copied from a short score as we see in Hollywood, or he may have been going from the ground up off of a piano original draft.  

18 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

...though today I am informed by a colleague that André Caplet had a hand in some of the orchestration of the original play.  Idiot!  Moron!  Must look into just how much of the impressiveness of the piece can be attributed to him rather than Debussy himself.

Similar disputes surrounded Liszt's early tone poems, which were claimed to have been either partially or entirely orchestrated by Joachim Raff.

7 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Ah, Sowerby, largely unknown outside of the sacred music circles.  Interesting stuff.

You probably prefer the numerous clerical organ works...

Here's an entertaining movement from Busoni's humongous Piano Concerto, "IV: All'Italiana":

I prefer the Hyperion recording myself but, it's Hyperion...what can you do? :unsure: