The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

Well, considering Stalling's and Franklyn's love for quoting pre-existing pieces as part of the joke of the golden age of Warner cartoons, I highly doubt it's an original piece. I feel like it was a perfect opportunity for a quote, like Strauss' Die Fliedermaus, but doesn't seem to be the case so far.

Maybe I should start a new thread about musical quotes in classic cartoons.

Any other fans of Chris Rouse here?  I just heard the west coast premiere of his Organ Concerto and thought it was excellent with a superb performance by LA Phil and Paul Jacobs on the formidable Disney Hall organ.  His music tends to be freaking loud but as a bass trombonist, I don't mind that.  There was a very long standing ovation and an unbelievably fantastic JS Bach organ fugue as encore.  Unfortunately, no link exists to the organ concerto but take this excellent trombone concerto as a reference.  This resulted in Rouse winning the Pulitzer Prize in 1993. 

The concert review if interested:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-phil-robertson-review-20170421-story.html

Jacobs is an acquaintance of mine and a damn fine player, one of the top tier.  I always enjoy seeing his artful playing appreciated, as there some less tasteful organist "sensations" out there that I feel music could do without....

After listening to the Nutcracker Suite conducted by John Williams, I'm now in a Waltz & Ballet mood and I just discovered this superb playlist:

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:30 PM, karelm said:

Any other fans of Chris Rouse here?  I just heard the west coast premiere of his Organ Concerto and thought it was excellent with a superb performance by LA Phil and Paul Jacobs on the formidable Disney Hall organ.

I was at the World Premiere in November of the Organ Concerto in Philadelphia.  Pretty stellar piece of writing.

Some commonalities and differences with The Planets as this was written in 1917 while Planets was 1914-6.  Almost like this was a sequel/response to The Planets.  There are many moments that sound straight out of Venus, Saturn, and Neptune.  I also believe elements of the semi-chorus around 7:55 were homages by his life long friend, Ralph Vaughan Williams, in his Pilgrims Progress amongst other works (those planing choral chords at 6:07 are very RVW ergo JW though JW approaches it more from a jazz voice leading style though he is heavily influenced by the brits here. 

On 5/6/2017 at 11:25 PM, publicist said:

Are you recommending John Cage 4'33?

:rimshot:

9 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Need the help of classical music experts!

Trying to identify where these two pieces of music below could come from. Note that I'm not 100% sure these are actually from classical works: to me, it simply sounds like it could be the case, and thought I'd ask if they sound familiar to anyone here or not (note that it is also possible both samples come from the same classical work). Any help will be appreciated!

Sample A:

Sample B:

I would guess this is a student work played by a student/amateur orchestra and not a classical work performed by students or amateur ensemble. Here is what an average quality community orchestra sounds like by comparison:

Very good community orchestras are quite good but there is a wide range of quality (very good community orchestras have high budgets to rent expensive venues and fill them out so there is competition for positions hence tough auditions) but the clips you posted sound low budget and demonstrate rudimentary composition and orchestration skills.  A trombone being present makes it sound more recent than the quality of the music hence it sounds like a new work by a student. 

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

But anyway, going by what you said, looks like it isn't based on a classical work (though it could be, and you're simply not familiar with it ;)).

Very possible.  Usually though there are tell tale signs of who the author is. 

8 hours ago, publicist said:

Strange. I can see the album.

Hmm, must be a problem on my end.

Russian fairy tale music (it is technically a movie, but is better suited to this thread). Expressive, Tchaikovsky and Borodin are never far away.

I enjoyed this CD very much (the link is only to track 1 but the entire CD is on the playlist):

It reminded me of John Williams and Ralph Vaughan Williams symphonies in places.

7 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Looking for some orchestral music that sounds like big old monster movies. I'm talking big, loud and mostly, brassy.

I'd recommend Eshpai's Symphony No. 8 which reminds me of vintage Godzilla stuff in places like here:

• 2 weeks later...

Stumbled onto one of Rota's piano concertos. The second movement has been stuck in my head all day:

Beethoven, never enough.

On 2 April 1800 first concert for his own benefit in Vienna with the première of the First Symphony...

7 hours ago, Hawmy said:

I like the horn solo

The whole thing is constructed so wonderfully.  I love the climax of the first section, when that "unstable" melody is introduced, developed and eventually climaxes with the brass crescendo of the melody from the first movement. Brilliant.

(7:47 - 9:30)

Today for my music history final we had to listen to samples and name the style of the composition (multiple choice). 

There was one in particular I really liked. The only two plausible options were "a Beethoven symphony" or "a Wagner opera." 

The bit we heard basically had rapid repeated string figures with a bold horn (at least I think it was horns) melody over top. It was very "epic," if you know what I mean.

Does anyone have any clue what Beethoven or Wagner work this might be from? Obviously this description is incredibly vague, but I do imagine, if this helps, that the piece is fairly famous, since the rest of our listening samples (the ones I actually could identify precisely) were all famous works. And I am not particularly familiar with either composer, so it is perfectly plausible that it's a very famous work even though I couldn't identify it. 

Just so you know, it was not this:

I remember the melody over top having much more notes -- here it's just one sustained note. 

10 minutes ago, Will said:

Does anyone have any clue what Beethoven or Wagner work this might be from?

Since you specifically mention a bold horn, I would start with Wagner. Could it be this?

15 minutes ago, Will said:

The bit we heard basically had rapid repeated string figures with a bold horn (at least I think it was horns) melody over top. It was very "epic," if you know what I mean.

Does anyone have any clue what Beethoven or Wagner work this might be from?

It wasn't Ride of the Valkyries, was it?

21 minutes ago, Loert said:

Since you specifically mention a bold horn, I would start with Wagner. Could it be this?

Yes, that's it!! Thanks. 

EDIT: Unfortunately, that means I got the question incorrect. Very annoying because I initially put Wagner and then erased! :lol:

13 minutes ago, Omen II said:

It wasn't Ride of the Valkyries, was it?

Nope, Loert solved it, but thanks. :)

32 minutes ago, Will said:

Yes, that's it!! Thanks. 

No problem. By the way, this prelude precedes the much more famous "Bridal Chorus":

Even cooler than this is the prelude to the second scene of the same act. One of my favourite orchestral Wagner bits.

Amazing recording by Kempe with the Vienna Philharmonic, by the way. Stunning acoustics at the Sophiensäle.