The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

While we're at it (I might have posted this before):

The Karajan recording is even more badass than this, but I can't find it on YouTube.

...and the cool thing is, it's all just leitmotifs stacked on top of each other in counterpoint.

24 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

While we're at it (I might have posted this before):

The Karajan recording is even more badass than this, but I can't find it on YouTube.

...and the cool thing is, it's all just leitmotifs stacked on top of each other in counterpoint.

I believe you've posted that at least twice before, as well as once from me:lol:

While we're further at it, here are some more "bold horns" from Wagner which I love:

(this is what happens when the Nordic gods take too much LSD...)

And the Ride of the Valkyries of course...particularly the lesser-known Scene 2-3 transition:

Since 2008, I worked hard on it... I now consider to have an "okay" basic classical CD collection.

Of course I'm a "classique"... there's a lot of Bach, Mozart and Beethoven, my three favorite composers (a part from John Williams of course!).

IMG_1980.JPG

Starting with the last CDs in my collection, so the "V" section, here's my suggestions for Vivaldi

It's not really of one my favourite composer, so I have very few CDs of him, but that's my a "basic" collection for me. Everyone has to start somewhere!

Maurice André - Concerto for two trumpets

Yo-Yo Ma - Vivaldi's Cello

Paul O'dette & The Parley of Instruments - Lute & Mandolin Concertos

I know, it actually lacks the Four Seasons.... But I'm waiting to see if a never version than the Accardo one would prlease me instead (anyone to recomend?)...

IMG_2042.JPG

My basic Tchaikovsky collection.

Piano Trio in A minor

The Nutcracker

Sleeping Beauty/Swan Lake Suites

Violin Concerto

Symphonies 4, 5 & 6.

Piano Concerto no. 1

IMG_2044.JPG

41 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Apparently Tchaikovsky despised The Nutcracker.

Yes and he tried to drown himself.  What a drunkard, but what a master of melody!

I forgot Verdi!

I guess the CD on the right doesn't really count and it's not a part of my "classical" collection, but it's worth mentionning as long as I own only one CD of Verdi!

IMG_2052.JPG

Yes great album, I recommended the one with the piano trio too. I maybe look for a newer set of the symphonies, this karajan set is maybe a little outdated..

Been listening to this on repeat...a piece written to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the October Uprising. Sounds in some ways like a condensed Symphony No.10. 

I've been playing this last movement on repeat:

Also, this modern work is terrific (many of you have probably already heard it as it was on the "Summon the Heroes" CD):

15 hours ago, Loert said:

Very interesting!  I am very involved with this composer and it's quite an interesting story. He wrote a piece for the orchestra I was composer in residence for many years ago however the sheet music had been lost to time and I had to modernize/typeset it from the original manuscripts for publication since he was a composer of some repute.  We premiered it's revival. 

I listened some Mendelssohn's symphonies yesterday newly recorded by Yannick Nézet-Séguin on DG.

Great!

CD REVIEW: Felix Mendelssohn - SYMPHONIES NOS. 1 - 5 (Deutsche Grammophon 479 7337)

Just stumbled onto this work by Canadian composer Jordan Pal and was really taken by it. It's pretty Adams-esque, in a textural sense. Need to look into more of his work!

Happy birthday Mahler! I really adore the 2002 Proms performance of that symphony with Rattle and National Youth Orchestra:

But my favourite symphony is No.6!

On 04/07/2017 at 7:28 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Nice! Incidentally, I'll be in Munich this Friday to attend a performance of Schreker's opera Die Gezeichneten.

...and only there did I realise that the cue posted above is taken from that opera anyway. The Munich performance was stunning, by the way. Rarely have I heard such a fine cast and such a great orchestra in a live opera performance.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

OK, need your classical music experts' help, once more!

Here are a few pieces of music which I believe come from the classical repertoire (at least 2, 4 and 5 sounds like samples from classical works to me) but which I haven't be able to identify. Do they sound familiar to anyone?

P.S.: I know about the Ride Of The Valkyries quote in the 5th sample. I'm trying to identify the rest of the music heard in that one.

The first one is a folk song "Believe Me, if All Those Endearing Young Charms".   Coincidentally the same song Yosemite Sam tried to get Bugs Bunny to play and trigger a bomb.  I don't see # 4.

The loud timpani combined with the slightly unorthodox orchestration reminds me of Sibelius, or maybe even Brahms...two composers I know almost nothing about! :(

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

To me, they seem like they're probably meant to sound as though they're classical pieces, but likely aren't. 

This is what I thought, too. We're talking film scores here.

2 hours ago, Loert said:

The loud timpani combined with the slightly unorthodox orchestration reminds me of Sibelius, or maybe even Brahms...two composers I know almost nothing about! :(

I know everything about Sibelius.  This is absolutely not Sib.  The last one sounds like it could be orchestral Liszt. By the way BloodBoal, where did you get these from?  Shouldn't that be a clue?  I could also see/hear these as being operettas.  Borrowing 19th century operatic devices for a more popular turn of the century idiom.