The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

To return once more to my favourite opera: I just received this version of Ariadne auf Naxos.

711qAjbxHML._SL1200_.jpg

Already having three other recordings (Kempe/Janowitz on CD, Böhm/Janowitz on DVD and the Sinopoli on CD) I didn't expect another recording to have anything particularly worthwhile to offer in addition (unless they release a recording of the stupendous Thielemann performance at the Vienna State Opera). In fact, while the Sinopoli is perfectly fine, I don't really have a use for it when compared to the others.

This, however, has an excellent cast (Margaret Price has a very fitting voice for Ariadne, not unlike Janowitz's), and while it won't replace my favourites, it's good enough to provide some change instead of always listening to the same recordings. But more importantly, the original version recorded has more, and more significant, differences to the much more common revised version that I'd anticipated, with several notable passages completely missing from the later version. Even the coda is different.

A must have for anyone who enjoys this opera at least half as much as I do. (And it only cost me €6, new and shrinkwrapped)

33 minutes ago, TGP said:

My favorite:

Ahh, lovely. Rameau is an old favourite of mine. I'm a big fan of the Marc Minkowski's Symphonie imaginaire: 

And absolutely love the Pièces de Clavecin en Concerts album from Trevor Pinnock, Jonathan Manson and Rachel Podger (perhaps my favourite baroque violinist). It might be the most sensuous baroque album in existence. Just exquisite. Example:

Some magristral choral works I've listened recently. Probably the three best masses or requiem ever wrote (of course, after the Mass in B minor by Bach!)

Mozart - Requiem (Christopher Hoowgood, Maunder ed, with a Boys Choir, it makes all the difference)

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « mozart hogwood requiem »

Beethoven - Missa Solemnis (Gardiner or Klemperer, according to your tastes)

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « gardiner mass beethoven »

Brahms - Deutsch Requiem (Yannick Nézet-Séguin)

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « Brahms - Deutsch Requiem (Yannick Nézet-Séguin) »

23 minutes ago, idril said:

Can't argue with those as some of the best Masses or Requiems ever written. Got to give some love to my beloved Dvořák too though:

Ah I don't know his Requiem, I have to discover it!

Speaking of "the greatest masses", I can't speak not about the Great Mass in C minor from Mozart.

This version sung by the wonderfull, sublime and gorgeous Barbara Hendricks.

It's like being already in heaven :-)

Image associée

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Ah I don't know his Requiem, I have to discover it!

Speaking of "the greatest masses", I can't speak about the Great Mass in C minor from Mozart.

This version sung by the wonderfull, sublime and gorgeous Barbara Hendricks.

It's like being already in heaven :-)

Image associée

Ahhh, yes, divine! I haven't yet had the pleasure of discovering the Barbara Hendricks recording.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

The Mozart Requiem is amazing, but favourite requiem is the Fauré, which I've sung, many times (and I don't mean in the shower! :lol:).

You've been in a Boys Choir?

1 minute ago, Richard said:

I've sung it as an adult. I've also sung the Mozart, and (I shit you not) Handel's Messiah (four-part, not five-part). The Amen Chorus is my favourite!

Alleluia!

@idril I'm currently listening for the first time to the Requiem of Dvorak.

Great, very musical.

A little less exuberant than Verdi's Requiem, but we are in the same genre... definitely we go away from the Church a little bit, and come closer to the stage, but it's a great powerfull and intense work, thanks for the recommendation!

3 hours ago, Richard said:

I've sung it as an adult. I've also sung the Mozart, and (I shit you not) Handel's Messiah (four-part, not five-part). The Amen Chorus is my favourite!

I've sung the Mozart a couple of times. I still can't listen to it at work because I couldn't help singing along.

5 hours ago, idril said:

Can't argue with those as some of the best Masses or Requiems ever written. Got to give some love to my beloved Dvořák too though:

Have you heard his compatriot Bohuslav Martinu's Field Mass?  Disgusted at the Nazis' invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1939, Martinu intended it as a sort of sacred cantata for the free Czechoslovak army.  I had never heard of it until I saw it at the BBC Proms last year and was mightily impressed.  Czech it out!

I have not heard this particular piece. My knowledge of Martinu extends to playing a fiendishly difficult little piece of his on violin as a teenager (though admittedly it was a lot of fun to play and was a fantastic piece!). The story behind the mass is very interesting. I will definitely, ahem, czech this out...

3 hours ago, Omen II said:

Have you heard his compatriot Bohuslav Martinu's Field Mass?  Disgusted at the Nazis' invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1939, Martinu intended it as a sort of sacred cantata for the free Czechoslovak army.  I had never heard of it until I saw it at the BBC Proms last year and was mightily impressed.  Czech it out!

I have ben'jamin to quite a bit of Martinu lately.  As in Arthur Benjamin, the excellent Australian composer...so will listen to this after my current disc finishes.  I especially enjoy Martinu's protosymphony, "Vanishing Midnight" which was just released and never even fully performed until this recording!  Something quite Mahlerian about this massive and exciting work.

:music: L.V. Beethoven - The Artistic Maturity

Piano Concert No. 5 (Perahia)

String Quartet Op. 74 (Talich Qt)

Sonata No. 26 Op, 81a "Les adieux" (Rubinstein)

Piano Trio, Op. 96 "Archduke" (Perlman, Ashkenazy, Harrell)

Hoodoo Zephyr - John Adams

I am not the biggest fan of Adams, he is more of a composer I respect than enjoy in general - like most living top contemporary composers in other words. He has done some works that I enjoy though.

This piece of work I perhaps surspringly (it is a minor work and very different from the usual Adams) prefer over a number of his latest disappointing concert works like the saxophone concerto to mention one of his weakest works. It is nothing great, but it is Adams having fun and it shows. I like it. 

On 1/21/2018 at 1:52 PM, Bespin said:

@idril I'm currently listening for the first time to the Requiem of Dvorak.

Great, very musical.

A little less exuberant than Verdi's Requiem, but we are in the same genre... definitely we go away from the Church a little bit, and come closer to the stage, but it's a great powerfull and intense work, thanks for the recommendation!

Indeed it is wonderful, and sadly underrated.  The recent Wit version is beyond amazing, and another example of Dvorak excelling at everything.

image.png

Marin Alsop has been appointed as the next Chief Conductor of the ORF Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra

http://www.albion-media.com/news/marin-alsop-appointed-new-chief-conductor-of-the-vienna-rso-from-september-2019/

Starting in September 2019. This is exciting, I'm hoping for some interesting concert programmes. Some Daugherty perhaps?

Wolfe's oratario, Anthracite Fields. Not all of it necessarily clicks for me (sometimes leans on the turgid side), but there are really great moments here, the kind that only Wolfe could pull off.

7 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Anyone else ever notice on some sheet music where there are more notes in a single chord than there are fingers on each hand? How the hell is someone supposed to play that?

Then they will strum it.  

Act 3 from Mlada (Night on Mt. Triglav) - the opening is one of the most magical moments I know of in music...it is impossible not to be transported into the wilderness, standing alone under a starry night sky. Evgeny Svetlanov and the USSR State Symphony Orchestra got it just right in this instance.