The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

I just reorganized some of my classical mp3s on my micro SD cards.

I had the habit of putting all the CDs of a boxset in the same root folder, but discovered recently that I rarely listened to those big boxsets, because I never really remember what I listened the last time...

So I just created sub-folders, just to subdivide the boxsets by categories (ex. for Beethoven piano sonatas: early sonatas, middle sonatas, late sonatas; or just by group of works, ex. Solo Concertos, Double Concertos... Triple Concertos... ah this Bach!!!).

For Beethoven and Mozart String Quartets... it made a big difference too!

Except maybe for Bach (where it's harder to know which works are youth works or late works), but for the majority of composers, it's interresting to listen their works a little more "chronologically" than the way it can be usually found on boxsets, where strange matches are often made.

19 hours ago, publicist said:

Quite excellent.

As far as I understand, it is a rather recent completion of sketches that RVW had for the second movement of an unfinished cello concerto.

Quite a loss to music that he never got around to finishing it.

I fell in love once again with Béla Bartòk's music in the last few days. I'm going through some of his orchestral warhorses. Checking out these two masterpieces in particular:

If you love Goldsmith and Williams you definitely must check them out too.

I am currently enjoying the Polish composer Karol Szymanowski's Song of the Night (Symphony No. 3).  If you are a fan of Debussy/Ravel/early Stravinsky, you'll enjoy this beauty!  His music is consistently gorgeous and very imaginatively orchestrated.

They two have collaborated before.

Jóhannsson doing Sakamoto:

The original Sakamoto:

In honor of the Easter season, there is a very fine and dramatic new Easter cantata by a composer I hadn't heard before named Franghiz Ali-Zadeh and her Passion cantata premiered in 2017 which I think is excellent.  The rest of the recording is very good too but I don't know how to link to her work only and it isn't on youtube.  She starts on track 8.

I really enjoyed this piece by the neglected American composer Arnold Rosner (1945-2013):

I would have preferred the same piece without the narration.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. But the more I listen to it, the more I think that the Kempe/Vienna Philharmonic version (which I've posted before) has to be among the best performances (of anything) I've heard:

Love that hectic string sound that's always there but never distracts from the brass melody.

On 08/04/2018 at 12:11 PM, Loert said:

That's my favourite performance too, but I enjoy seeing Levine conduct! :)

Looks a bit hectic. ;)

On 08/04/2018 at 12:13 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Everything by Levine now has a bad aftertaste...

Has had for decades, as far as I know. They've just finally drawn some consequences.

26 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I am seeing the Richmond Symphony perform this program later tonight:

Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 3.09.14 PM.png

I can't wait.  They're a fine group of musicians.  Should be a night of great music.

Hey, you're back too!

8 hours ago, Sharky said:

I'm thinking of doing a Disco Stu and showing my face. Will I regret it?

I didn't regret it, and it's nice to see the real people behind the avatars.  But I did get tired of my own face after a while.

14 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I am seeing the Richmond Symphony perform this program later tonight:

Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 3.09.14 PM.png

I can't wait.  They're a fine group of musicians.  Should be a night of great music.

The concert made me ecstatically happy, still buzzing.

To paraphrase one of my favorite lines from Howards End, Dvorak's 9th symphony is among the most sublime noise that has ever penetrated into the ear of man.

I also quite enjoyed the Brahms concerto, particularly the 2nd movement which I thought was incredibly emotional and touching:

A very fine Cello Concerto that reminds me of John Williams' Cello Concerto.

I can't paste the entire list because they all point to this same movement when I paste but listen to the entire playlist.  A very good CD of great contemporary American cello concertos.

On 7/10/2017 at 5:49 AM, BloodBoal said:

OK, need your classical music experts' help, once more!

Here are a few pieces of music which I believe come from the classical repertoire (at least 2, 4 and 5 sounds like samples from classical works to me) but which I haven't be able to identify. Do they sound familiar to anyone?

EDIT: Original piece identified by karelm!

P.S.: I know about the Ride Of The Valkyries quote in the 5th sample. I'm trying to identify the rest of the music heard in that one.

@BloodBoal, what movie were these from?

Hi, guys, I thought that I'd give you a heads-up, as BBC Radio 3 is having a week-long retrospective on Copland. 

Now, I thought that Copland was all RED PONY, Obama getting done, and ripping-off Emerson Lake and Palmer, but no!

His early stuff is fantastic, and its easy to see where a certain J. Williams esq. got some of his inspiration for the violin concerto.

I've just listened to BILLY THE KID (at least, I think that's what it's called), and it's proper good!

Anyway, I'll be tuning-in for the rest of the week, at 12:00 bst.

Don't touch that dial! :)