The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

Been treating myself to this special beast:

The concerto is one of my favourite Adams works.

I like to think Williams was fond of the piece too. I always hear proto-Memoirs finale material, especially around the 4min mark of the above movement.

1 hour ago, KK said:

The concerto is one of my favourite Adams works.

I've never really warmed to this although I do like some of Adams' music. Glass' violin concerto, on the other hand, is a masterpiece and his greatest orchestral work, IMO.

Gorgeous sound quality in this recent recording of Strauss' Alpine Symphony, performed by Daniel Harding and the Saito Kinen Orchestra:

And a particularly impassioned performance of On the Summit/Vision, different from Karajan's slightly more laid-back approach which I'm more familiar with.

12 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've never really warmed to this although I do like some of Adams' music. Glass' violin concerto, on the other hand, is a masterpiece and his greatest orchestral work, IMO.

The Glass concerto is indeed excellent. One of the few examples where he manages to use the traditional repertoire template to maximize the potential of his style.

Adams, as a whole, is a much more interesting composer than Glass though.

What is the music in this clip when Colman's name is announced? I think it is some classical music but I can't quite make it out. I checked for a soundtrack of Favorite and there doesn't seem to be one.

A very fine composer who hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet is the Irishman, John Kinsella (b. 1932).  Currently he has composed 10 symphonies. His style is tonal and very listenable.  Here is his Symphony No. 6 from 1992-3.

Warner Classics "best 100" 6CD collections in white clamshells, various excerpts of performances: there's a Liszt, Tschaikowsky, Wagner, and a Karajan-conducted one. Anyone know these collections, are the performances good, any worth getting?

EDIT: not being an aficionado, I decided to choose the horizonwidening excerpts rather than comitting to a more comprehensive collection from one composer based on a piece or two I know. Karajan it is!

A significant portion of this sounds like the love child of Jerry Goldsmith and Christopher Young. There's even a choir effect of repeated phrases that sounds very much like the echoplex in Alien. Parts also could have been an inspiration for Zimmer's Beneath Alrischa.

Sounds like something out of a Golden Age score. You can almost see the marching Roman legions!

Dukas was clearly inspired by Hagen's Watch:

@The Illustrious Jerry Saw you've been getting into Prokofiev. I'm normally not a fan of solo instrument sonatas, but I love his Flute Sonata. Here's the second movement: 

I love how full he makes it sound, you can hear the orchestra, practically. He throws in some fun harmonies, and has a great buildup into a classic, carelessly giddy Prokofiev trademark melody. So satisfying. 

For the more adventurous listeners around here.

This is a young up-and-coming composer named Charles Peck that I discovered over the winter.  His music is vibrant and imaginative I think.  We shall watch his career with great interest.

His piano quartet, "Sunburst" I really really like.  It's divided into two sections.  The first half is nervous and clangorous.  The second has more of an eastern-influenced drone sound.  The piano in the first half I find fascinating.  The rhythms have an almost jazzy syncopation but the harmonies/style are quite discordant.  Very cool.

Lately i really get my kicks from this Chailly recording of Bartok. 'Miraculous Mandarin' is the more famous work (Goldsmith drew from it rather obviously in 'Total Recall'), but it's 'Concerto for Orchestra', with its many spooky, mysterious passages that i return to (the first minutes of Elegia must have been the inspiration for the 'misterioso' writing in the Hoth parts of 'ESB' and numerous Goldsmith's from the late 70's). The Presto finale in which a whirling perpetual-motion-main theme competes with fugal fireworks based on folk melodies also must have been studied extensively by silver age composers.

Discovered the former LA Philharmonic principal conductor's violin concerto and it's pretty good. Will have to check out more of Salonen's repertoire:

Nope. I was entirely unfamiliar with his work until now really. I just knew him as a conductor. Will check it out.

I'm quite enjoying this composer who is new to me.  Vyacheslav Artyomov (b. 1940) who is sort of a mixture of Hovhaness, Messiaen, and Scriabin. 

Hey look it's a crappy video I took on my bike ride today.  But I wanted to give a sense of how amazing it was to have Copland's Appalachian Spring piping in my ears on this glorious green day.

Got to "Simple Gifts" right as I hit this bridge :lovethis:

IMG_3478.jpg

I'm really becoming a big fan of Peter Eotvos whose work "Multiverse" I especially enjoy.  Though composed in 2017, it reminds me of Bernard Herrmann in it's use of harmon organ and lots of muted brass like how Herrmann used in some of the Twilight Zone episodes.  This definitely has an "other worldly" feel I love!

Since Yuri Gagarin’s journey into space in 1961, technological advancements have caused us to marvel at the miracle of the cosmos. Research like Witten’s theory of the eleven dimensions and string theory has astounded us with its speculation on the nature of outer space, and has spurred me on in my compositional fantasy. My work consists of three movements: Expansion, Multiversum and Time and Space. It surrounds the audience with sound from all sides. The concert organ is played at the front of the hall and, although also played onstage, the rotating tone of the Hammond organ will sound from the back. The orchestral seating will reinforce the spatial impression of a tonal universe with the strings on the left, the woodwinds on the right and brass and percussion dispersed across the entire width of the stage. Peter Eötvös

1 hour ago, karelm said:

I'm really becoming a big fan of Peter Eotvos whose work "Multiverse" I especially enjoy.  Though composed in 2017, it reminds me of Bernard Herrmann in it's use of harmon organ and lots of muted brass like how Herrmann used in some of the Twilight Zone episodes.  This definitely has an "other worldly" feel I love!

Ooh daaaammmn! Love that the saxes get some love, too.