The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

1 hour ago, KK said:

I don't know if it holds up very well in the symphonic form for me. It has some fantastic colours in it, but I can't seem to derive a very meaningful structure or take-away from it. Last I heard it, it still came across as Sphere-cues stitched together, with flashy zingers every now and then.

As much as a Goldenthal fan as I am, I'm not familiar with Sphere. Are you saying he literally adapted his score into a symphony? It is it just in that vein? (Goldenthal isn't necessarily the most diverse when it comes to his trademarks).

Yeah, Goldenthal-isms aren't exactly very diverse. I don't think he really got the chance to write enough music to really diversify his symphonic palette (disregarding stylistic/genre anomalies like Frida). But with this symphony specifically, the first movement draws from the Sphere material, and the second movement from his Final Fantasy score:

From what I remember, it just wasn't a very interesting, or novel take/development on the material. I didn't see any reason why that material was shoehorned into the symphony form outside of trying to find a home and audience for it in concert hall. Which is certainly not unprecedented, but at least when the likes of Shostakovich and Vaughan Williams were drawing from and re-appropriating their film music for the concert hall, they had interesting structural recapitulations of the material.

Still, the core material is so wonderfully moody that i don't care (it's good that it found a life beyond the horrid movie). Goldenthal heavily manipulates his sound in studio mixes, so another thing is that it sometimes just doesn't sound right in concert form like here.

Yea, the raw material itself is great, though as you say, you can tell this stuff was really designed for studio recording over live performance. Which might make it a suitable alternative listening companion/option to the album.

But I don't think the symphony as a whole, on its own legs, is much good.

It's short, so...

Not 'classical', but this and selected other cues from Christopher Gordon's score for some kind of Shakespeare project are so good they need exposure beyond the film score realm (where they get lost in an instant, anyway).

6 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

As much as a Goldenthal fan as I am, I'm not familiar with Sphere. Are you saying he literally adapted his score into a symphony? It is it just in that vein? (Goldenthal isn't necessarily the most diverse when it comes to his trademarks).

The symphony uses some material from the score, but neither does that cover the entire score, nor (as far as I recall) does that constitute a full symphony movement.

But as a Goldenthal fan, you have to get the score. It's his best.

Add another to the pile of cool American third symphonies :) 

George Rochberg’s is really interesting!  Borrows a lot from other composers and repurposes then alongside original music. This is in dire dire need of a proper modern recording.

Here is a nice performance of Giovanni Battista Pergolesi's Stabat Mater Dolorosa by the Academy of Ancient Music.  Of added interest to John Williams fans is that the video was recorded at All Saints in Tooting, where the album version of The Fury was recorded with the LSO.

Stumbled onto this fun piece by Prokofiev's grandson, Gabriel Prokofiev:

Sounds like a talented bloke. Will have to do some digging...

5 minutes ago, KK said:

Stumbled onto this fun piece by Prokofiev's grandson, Gabriel Prokofiev:

Sounds like a talented bloke. Will have to do some digging...

I've listened to and enjoyed this album:

image.png

On 8/16/2019 at 10:41 PM, KK said:

Yea, the raw material itself is great, though as you say, you can tell this stuff was really designed for studio recording over live performance. Which might make it a suitable alternative listening companion/option to the album.

But I don't think the symphony as a whole, on its own legs, is much good.

Here is Goldenthal describing the structure of the work:

The piece consists of two movements: Moderato con Moto and Rondo Agitato. The first movement encompasses a four-note motive spoken from the bassoon and a five-note phrase in the oboe section. These motives happen against a “rocking gentle percolation” on the harp and violas, and the four-note motive is stated boldly at the end of the first movement before being repeated in diminution form in the second movement.

“I needed to compose a first movement with the intent to ‘feel’ more expansive than its 13- or 14-minute duration,” describes Goldenthal. “I did this by opening up the vistas and featuring the sections of the orchestra rather than presenting the orchestra as a block—with its composites melding as one.”

In contrast to the rising expanse of the first, the second movement possesses a dense atmosphere that features the brass and percussion sections more heavily. Consequently, the principal motive is developed against an unsettling background of music until the momentum picks up and resolves in a chaotic rush of sound from the entire orchestra, alluding to the original motive only quickly before the percussionists take over in a primal voice.

Goldenthal gives a little insight into the meaning of this as he expresses, “The percussionists have a ‘conversation’ that attempts to bridge the gap of human long-distance communication....the first ‘wireless’ conversation that existed millennia ago, with hands and drum, warnings, war songs and love songs across tree tops, mountains and time.”

Yes, there are "self references" but he did that in Alien 3 and Cobb as well.  Prokofiev, Vaughan Williams, and others did this too.  Bernard Herrmann did that in one of his greatest film scores, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and his gigantic opera, Wuthering Heights, too.  The reason was because they generally considered film music to be, well, disposable.  They liked the material and felt it had legs.  

I have no real qualms with him expanding on the film music material. I just wasn't entirely convinced by the symphonic form itself.

But maybe I just need to revisit it... Appreciate the additional insight Karelm!

Percussion Concerto by Helen Grime, premiered earlier this year by Marin Alsop and the London Philharmonic, with Colin Currie as soloist

A bit flighty for my taste, but worth hearing for the orchestration.

Kevin Puts' very fine Piano Concerto.  He is also a big time JW fan having grown up with the original trilogy, Raiders, E.T., the golden age and you can hear that in his music.  Puts was born in 1972 and won the Pulitzer Prize in 2012 for his opera, Silent Night. 

I feel bad that I neglected to post about Michael Colgrass' death last month.

RIP, a wonderful composer.  His wind symphony compositions will live on in that growing repertoire for years and years to come.

• 2 weeks later...

Where has Carl Vine been hiding from me???  Many thanks to @SteveMc for tipping me on to this, I love it.

This work is not only colorful and intelligent, it also has that quality that is so often missing from contemporary music: his music is clearly written with the audience in mind.  It's the balance I'm always looking for in music and rarely find, the balance between complexity and accessibility, between intellect and emotion.  Not unapproachable but also not dumbed down.

Or at least this is the impression I get after listening to one String Quartet!  I'll definitely be exploring his work more soon.

• 2 weeks later...

*klaxon* *klaxon* *klaxon*

A new performance of Copland's Piano Quartet just added to Youtube.  This Italian ensemble bring it off absolutely brilliantly.

Just check out their positively stormy performance of the second half of the first movement.  Gives me the shivers!!

(from 3:06)

They even tackle the slyly jazzy rhythms of the second movement with aplomb.

In honor of the passing of Christopher Rouse who died today at the age of 70, I present his lovely and moving elegy from his Flute Concerto.  His last completed work was his Symphony No. 6 which will be premiered in October.  His music is lyrical, dramatic, and expressive.  He was also very friendly on social media and I met him on many occasions.  He was a professor at the Peabody Conservatory in Baltimore, Maryland, across the street from the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and they had so many lovely memories of him filled with humor and joy that were totally relatable to me.  He is already greatly missed. 

16 minutes ago, karelm said:

In honor of the passing of Christopher Rouse who died today at the age of 70, I present his lovely and moving elegy from his Flute Concerto.  His last completed work was his Symphony No. 6 which will be premiered in October.  His music is lyrical, dramatic, and expressive.  He was also very friendly on social media and I met him on many occasions.  He was a professor at the Peabody Conservatory in Baltimore, Maryland, across the street from the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and they had so many lovely memories of him filled with humor and joy that were totally relatable to me.  He is already greatly missed. 

Oh my goodness!  This is how I'm learning of this!

I was listening to a track from Karolju (not the season but what can I say) literally less than 10 minutes ago!  Spooky.

Rest in peace, what a great man and a wonderful composer.  Greatly missed indeed.

Another personal favorite is the "Sarabande" from his ballet Friandises, but it's sadly not on Youtube.

Thanks for that lovely story.

I loved reading about Rouse’s teenage correspondence with Aaron Copland.  What started out as essentially fan letters in the 1960s eventually became Rouse sending Copland tapes of his own compositions.

Heres an excerpt from a letter from Copland to Rouse in 1968.  What an amazing thing to have such a meaningful correspondence with a hero at such a young age.

293B1627-29B1-44B2-A9A0-279DBDB9AEB8.jpeg

Here’s Leonard Slatkin on Rouse’s passing

On 9/21/2019 at 9:31 PM, Disco Stu said:

I loved reading about Rouse’s teenage correspondence with Aaron Copland.  What started out as essentially fan letters in the 1960s eventually became Rouse sending Copland tapes of his own compositions.

Following on to the Rouse-Copland connection.  I didn't even realize that Rouse had been President of the Aaron Copland Fund for Music for the last 10 years of his life.  This is the endowment fund that Copland created with his will that provides grants every year for the performance and recording of music by American composers.

The Aaron Copland Fund for Music mourns the passing of our beloved President Christopher Rouse on Saturday, September 21, 2019. Chris became President in 2009, and quickly became deeply involved with all aspects of the work of the Fund. A tireless champion of contemporary American music and its creators, he also was deeply devoted to Copland’s music, of which he had a comprehensive knowledge and the greatest respect and care for its integrity. The directors and staff join the entire world of contemporary music in sending deepest condolences to his wife and family, and share their sense of profound sadness at the loss of a great man.

https://coplandfund.org/news/christopher-rouse-1949-2019

• 2 weeks later...

There's nothing like a bit of Gerald Finzi at this time of year when the evenings are drawing in.  One of his lesser known works is Farewell to Arms, the second part of which (Aria) is especially beautiful.  Here it is sung by Ian Partridge with the New Philharmonia Orchestra.

13 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Which works by Finzi are well known?

Classical music lovers would probably be most familiar with his Eclogue for piano and strings, Five Bagatelles, the clarinet concerto and the cello concerto.  But I take your point.

Love's Labour's Lost, which I posted somewhere earlier in this thread, deserves to be better known and played more often as well.

3 minutes ago, Omen II said:

Classical music lovers would probably be most familiar with his Eclogue for piano and strings, Five Bagatelles, the clarinet concerto and the cello concerto.  But I take your point.

Thanks. I didn't have a point, I just wanted to be educated.

1 hour ago, Datameister said:

Anyone have recommendations on great Bartok recordings/albums? I'm just starting to get into his fascinating ouevre and I'd love pointers if anyone has any.

For me, the string quartets are the beating heart of his career.  Everyone's got an opinion on recordings, but the Emerson String Quartet complete set is essential IMO

51SHgqCA-AL.jpg

1 hour ago, Datameister said:

Anyone have recommendations on great Bartok recordings/albums? I'm just starting to get into his fascinating ouevre and I'd love pointers if anyone has any.

I've always been a big fan of his second piano concerto after I saw the CSO play it back when I was 19.

Check out the second movement that starts at 9:40!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m very happy that Chandos is realeasing a third volume of George Antheil recorded by John Storgards and the BBC Philharmonic.  The first two really made me a big Antheil fan!

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN 20080

Today, October 30th, marks exactly 75 years since the premiere of Appalachian Spring, Aaron Copland and Martha Graham's ballet masterpiece.  It was first performed in the Coolidge Auditorium of the Library of Congress in Washington, DC, in 1944.

Here is a photo of the original performance, featuring Isamu Noguchi's iconic, minimalist set design.  Below that is a screenshot from the original program.

2456.jpeg

image.png

Ballet for Martha, as Copland originally titled it, is most famous for its incorporation (and popularization) of the Shaker hymn "Simple Gifts."  The opening line of the hymn, "'Tis the gift to be simple," could also work as the defining ethos for Copland's approach to composition throughout his life.  In works like this and the Lincoln Portrait and the Third Symphony, his simplicity, clarity, and economy help create an atmosphere of reverence and thoughtfulness that has been touching audiences for decades.

The story told by Appalachian Spring brings to the fore some themes that I think can be found through Copland's work, especially in the Third Symphony which premiered two years later.  Namely, what it means to be an individual within a larger community and society.  The relationship of the Self to the wider Whole.  It is a piece of music that has deep personal meaning to me, and I return to it frequently as a kind of spiritual well to center me in times of anxiety.

The most widely known version of Appalachian Spring is the orchestral suite, which premiered in 1945.  The original ballet was scored for 13 instruments (double string quartet + bass, piano, bassoon, clarinet, and flute).  While the 7th section of the suite is most famous, the Simple Gifts section, the highlight of the ballet for me is the Bride's Solo dance, the 5th section (Still faster/Subito allegro).

Watch this wonderful television taping of the ballet which was filmed in the late 1950s.

My personal favorite version is the one that follows the structure of the orchestral suite, but keeps the chamber instrumentation of the original.

This is my favorite recording of that version!  It's a live performance recorded in an actual barn, and includes some ambient noise like bird chirps that really adds to the atmosphere.