The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Placed a spontaneous Presto order to take advantage of a few things on my wish list being on sale and have installed the downloader - looks like my last order a few days ago was near enough the last day for zip file downloads.

First up, downloads don't seem to be any slower but then my broadband isn't super fast, but the 4 lossless albums didn't take more than 10 minutes (approx) to download. My main complaint is that against each album you ordered you have to click a link for download options, go to another screen and click on another link for the actual download. Then you have to click back to get to the other things on your order. That's obviously more of a website layout thing but it does seem quite clunky. One benefit of using an app would be to have a single "download all my orders" button which does everything for you in the background. I might suggest that since it would make having the app more worthwhile. I do like that it downloads each album into a separate folder (so you don't need to unzip them).

Having said that, and notwithstanding that it doesn't take up much space on my computer, it's basically replicating what a browser does and becomes yet another downloader app (to add to Chandos, Qobuz and HD Tracks) in my Applications folder.

I don't know if you had the option to choose before, but the download page now gives you the choice of download format; mp3, FLAC and Apple Lossless (ALAC). I usually download things in FLAC and convert to Apple Lossless. When downloading in Apple Lossless from Chandos, iTunes wouldn't convert those files to lower bitrate to go on my iPhone (I convert everything down to 256 kbps to save space on my phone) as I assume the files have some kind of DRM or whatever in them. Not an issue when you just convert tracks from FLAC using the converter and the sound is otherwise identical, so curious as to whether Apple Lossless tracks from Presto will have the same issues. If so, will just re-download into FLAC.

All in all, not a terrible experience, but agree that these downloaders become quite annoying after a while, adding yet another layer onto buying digital music. It's a shame there isn't a generic downloader app that was used by a whole range of companies and you just logged in for all the different sites you used.

This manager definitely slowed my downloads down. I used to download at 10 MPBS (at least) thanks to fibre internet. Not anymore now that I have to download track by track.

As for the manager, have you found any way to clear your queued files? So not the completed ones, but the queued ones that you are still going to download? Because for some idiotic reason, it queued my Bach secular cantatas twice, meaning it keeps telling me I still have to download 319 more files. Presto response: that shouldn't be a problem. Well, it is.

Totally agree about what you said regarding just another layer. I don't care that Hi-Res and ZIP didn't work anymore, I don't use Hi-Res.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

This manager definitely slowed my downloads down. I used to download at 10 MPBS (at least) thanks to fibre internet. Not anymore now that I have to download track by track.

As for the manager, have you found any way to clear your queued files? So not the completed ones, but the queued ones that you are still going to download? Because for some idiotic reason, it queued my Bach secular cantatas twice, meaning it keeps telling me I still have to download 319 more files. Presto response: that shouldn't be a problem. Well, it is.

Totally agree about what you said regarding just another layer. I don't care that Hi-Res and ZIP didn't work anymore, I don't use Hi-Res.

Well I didn't try downloading track by track as I got the downloader app to work fine and based on how quickly the files were downloading, it didn't really seem any slower than when it was ZIP files. I would also add that I often buy quite a few albums at a time to take advantage of a sale and if I tried to download them all at once, several of the downloads would fail so I usually download them in batches of 3 or 4 at a time. I kinda enjoyed the ritual and anticipation of doing it that way, but practically it's not ideal so I assume the download manager app will alleviate this issue.

I have just looked and all of my downloaded files are already cleared (screenshot below) and I just get a prompt to refresh. Sounds like a glitch with your downloads, I'm sure I've had similar issues with other downloaders. Annoying though.

I have bought stuff in Hi-Res if it was on sale but generally just go for CD quality. I guess the file size was an issue for downloading as a ZIP for them maybe? I still maintain you should keep feeding back as they are more responsive than most companies and I'm sure they wouldn't want to piss off their user base too much.

image.png

In amongst the endless Andre Rieu concerts (sorry if you're a fan...), Sky Arts has a proper classical music documentary; a four part series focussing on the London Philharmonic Orchestra rehearsing and performing Mahler's 2nd Symphony, conducted by Edward "Ed" Gardner. Obviously, some of the information is pretty basic if you're a musician (which I am) or have a good knowledge of classical music (ditto), but the balance between that and decent insight into the music is well judged. Just seeing the orchestra rehearsing and how the conductor shapes both the small and large moments is fascinating.

There's no annoying narrator or celebrity presenter to make it relevant, just the conductor and a few of the musicians talking about the music, their instruments, their role in the orchestra, as well as how they prepare for the performance etc.

One bit of insight you get is that you can't help but notice that, while the musicians appear to live in smart, if modest, flats, Edward Gardner appears to live in a gorgeous house, all exposed brick, huge windows and a kitchen that has given me serious stove top envy. The life of being a conductor...

https://www.sky.com/watch/title/series/9a8b80aa-47d8-3c4d-80e0-7b20e3788e62/backstage-with-the-london-philharmonic-orchestra-9a8b80aa-47d8-3c4d-80e0-7b20e3788e62/episodes/season-1/episode-1

6 hours ago, Will said:

Jaw-droppingly good:

I think this might overtake the New World symphony as my favorite Dvorak composition!

It's probably my favourite Dvorak work and favourite cello concerto.

14 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

It's probably my favourite Dvorak work and favourite cello concerto.

Everybody's favourite cello concerto usually seems to be Elgar's, which does nothing for me. Dvorak's however is gorgeous. Though I'm not sure where I'd rank it among his final three symphonies.

Some ~25 years ago it was used to great effect in an Austrian bank commercial:

19 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Everybody's favourite cello concerto usually seems to be Elgar's, which does nothing for me. Dvorak's however is gorgeous. Though I'm not sure where I'd rank it among his final three symphonies.

I like Elgar's but not nearly as much as Dvorak's. It never struck me in the same way. I honestly think the Cello Concerto is my favourite Dvorak work, even compared to the last 3 symphonies, but hey, I'm gonna do my usual trick of calling it a draw. They're all wonderful works.

Some ~25 years ago it was used to great effect in an Austrian bank commercial:

Fun and the music works brilliantly, just a shame it has to come to such an abrupt end!

So... favourite recordings...? My go-to is Torleif Thedéen on cello, Kees Bakels conducting the Malaysian Philharmonic on BIS. Not perhaps an obvious first choice, but it's a thrilling performance. The Szell/Fournier recording also gets plenty of air play. Why do I feel like I'll come away from this with another half dozen recordings to get to add to my existing (surprisingly modest) 4.

Everybody's favourite cello concerto usually seems to be Elgar's, which does nothing for me.

Listen to the DuPre/Barenboim recording.

Fun and the music works brilliantly, just a shame it has to come to such an abrupt end!

It was a series of commercials that all used music to great effect. This was the first (and best) one:

So... favourite recordings...? My go-to is Torleif Thedéen on cello, Kees Bakels conducting the Malaysian Philharmonic on BIS. Not perhaps an obvious first choice, but it's a thrilling performance. The Szell/Fournier recording also gets plenty of air play. Why do I feel like I'll come away from this with another half dozen recordings to get to add to my existing (surprisingly modest) 4.

I have Previn/Tortelier, but I should probably try out some others as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend me a decent THE RITE OF SPRING?

I've been having a wee look on Amazon, and I think I'm going to go for the Rattle/Berliner Philhamonika from 2013.

Any suggestions, folks?

Good question, because I've been meaning to ask the same thing. I grew up with Karajan & Berlin and always liked that, though it must be 20+ years since I last listened to it. Apparently it doesn't have a good reputation. In the early 2000s, I got Rattle & CBSO, which was considered one of the best back then. I haven't listened to that in years, either.

I only have one -- the Michael Tilson Thomas/San Francisco Symphony recording, but that is fine. The sound is a little "distant", but the performance is top notch. You also get "Persephone" and "The Fire Bird" on the same disc.

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

and "The Fire Bird" on the same disc.

One of the suites, I suppose? I still need a full recording - I know I asked for recommendations here some time (probably years…) ago, but I still don't have one.

48 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

One of the suites, I suppose? I still need a full recording - I know I asked for recommendations here some time (probably years…) ago, but I still don't have one.

It lasts 48 minutes. Is that the suite?

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Can anyone recommend me a decent THE RITE OF SPRING?

I've been having a wee look on Amazon, and I think I'm going to go for the Rattle/Berliner Philhamonika from 2013.

Any suggestions, folks?

Alas I’m away so can’t check for all 15ish recordings i have but one of the first I got was Dutoit with the Detroit Symphony and it’s still a favourite performance (and an equally excellent Firebird). For a slightly more recent but also superb account Esa-Pekka Salonen and the LA Philharmonic is well worth a listen. I recently checked out Boulez and that’s definitely worth a listen. 

I don’t know if I have the Rattle recording. I feel I need to stop adding to this particular collection… however I concur that the Karajan one is not some of his best work. 

55 minutes ago, Thor said:

It lasts 48 minutes. Is that the suite?

No, the suite takes about 20-30 minutes, depending on the version and performance.

9 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

however I concur that the Karajan one is not some of his best work. 

Having not listened to it in so long: What's wrong with it, specifically?

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Having not listened to it in so long: What's wrong with it, specifically?

I don’t have it to listen to but I recall it being kinda stodgy. Not enough spikiness for Stravinsky. Better for stuff like Strauss where all that Berlin Phil lustre is put to better use!