The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

On 1/13/2017 at 7:52 PM, LampPost said:

Howard Hanson; Symphony No.6

It's with great shame that I didn't even know he wrote that many symphonies.  So powerful and famous is his second that I've disregarded the rest.

I enjoyed this:

The entire CD is excellent if you like Finnish songs by the great Sibelius and Rautavaara with some fantastic word paintings, hues, and harmonies.  The songs that Rautavaara set are so idiomatic and I love that it was one of the very last things he did since it is a reminder of how one of the last things Sibelius did was to recommend Rautavaara to recieve a Juilliard scholarship in 1954.

Not sure if this would really be considered classical, but I couldn't think of a better thread (and as it is music related I didn't want it to get buried in the America thread).

I love this arrangement, performed by MoTab right before Trump's oath (same position as the very different but probably much more awesome Air and Simple Gifts eight years ago).

I like the piece a lot more now after hearing this! (granted I haven't heard many other versions) It has a lot of added "epic-ness" too in the way I perceive it because of the circumstances in which it was performed, of course. As a side note, I do love how the choir members are dressed. Very snazzy, and matches the gorgeous flag decorations on the capital very well. I've always loved the cool red, white, and blue garb for events like this and the Olympics.

Let's please not have this descend into an argument over Trump's merits. That's for the America thread. :)

I particularly like the brass opening, this...

... and this with the fanfares:

In general I just love the harmonies. 

Arnold Bax's Tintagel:

A very fine performance of this mystical symphonic poem about the cliffs, sea, and mist of the ruins of Tintagel castle.  Some very interesting sci-fi chord progressions in this too with quasi impressionistic qualities, the dramatic landscapes of Sibelius (to whom Bax was a fan of) and mystical Arthurian legends. 

15 hours ago, Stefancos said:

MoTab?

Geez...

"Geez" as in "The Mormon Tabernacle Choir is terrible" or "Your abbreviations are terrible"?

9 hours ago, Will said:

"Geez" as in "The Mormon Tabernacle Choir is terrible" or "Your abbreviations are terrible"?

The choir is world class! And deserve to be adressed something better than with a ridiculous "hip" abbreviation!

And if you bothered to do a little online research, you'd find that MoTab is the Choir's official Twitter handle in use on their Facebook page. This is why their Wikipedia page says the Choir is colloquially referred to as MoTab. Geez. 

3 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Bax is someone I need to discover a bit more.  Almost pulled the trigger on a symphony set a while ago and never got around to making another attempt.

If you like Ravel, Mahler, and Sibelius, you'll probably like Bax.  Some find his symphonies undisciplined and long winded but I love his stuff.

On 23.1.2017 at 10:16 PM, nightscape94 said:

Bax is someone I need to discover a bit more.  Almost pulled the trigger on a symphony set a while ago and never got around to making another attempt.

I hardly know any Bax myself, but his choir piece This Worldes Joie is brilliant.

I must admit I prefer Copland's concertos to his more famous stuff like Appalachian Spring or Rodeo. His piano concerto is one of my favourites! Particularly love those big open chords near the beginning. And 1:58 onwards - gorgeous! Must remember to play it tomorrow...

For those of you who are fans of RVW (remember both BH and JW are fans of RVW) here is a passionate work by Stanley Bate clearly influenced by RVW.  Bate was prolific but sadly ended his life in 1959 at the age of 47.  I think you can hear some of his inner turmoil in his music.

21 hours ago, LampPost said:

I must admit I prefer Copland's concertos to his more famous stuff like Appalachian Spring or Rodeo. His piano concerto is one of my favourites! Particularly love those big open chords near the beginning. And 1:58 onwards - gorgeous! Must remember to play it tomorrow...

I fell in love with the work just moments into it. :)

What do you mean, though? "Play it" as in performing the piano part, or as in listening to it again?

1 hour ago, Bartokus Novus said:

What do you mean, though? "Play it" as in performing the piano part, or as in listening to it again?

Performing the piano part! I had a go already. The first movement has a beautiful sonority, and the piano entrance falls very nicely under the fingers. The second movement is a little harder...:D. But fortissimo parallel major chords are lots of fun to play!   

On a somewhat related note, I was listening to Bernstein's "The Age of Anxiety" as performed by Marc-Andre Hamelin with the Ulster Orchestra. Great piece and performance!

71I8UnZ72ML._SX355_.jpg

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA67170

This is a very fine cd of the young American composer, Adam Schoenberg (no relation to his more famous namesake but what great luck it is to be a composer with the same name as some other famous composer).

A fantastic and sadly timely work in an excellent performance & recording.  Michael Tippet's World War II cantata "A Child of our Time". 

The work was inspired by events that affected Tippett profoundly: the assassination in 1938 of a German diplomat by a young Jewish refugee, and the Nazi government's reaction in the form of a violent reprisal.  Tippett's oratorio deals with these incidents in the context of the experiences of oppressed people generally, and carries a strongly pacifist message of ultimate understanding and reconciliation. The text's recurrent themes of shadow and light reflect the Jungian psychoanalysis which Tippett underwent in the years immediately before writing the work.  Along with arias and choruses it interjects slave spirituals to make this work much more universal in its message of oppression.  Along with Britten's War Requiem (a traditional Latin requiem that intersperses poetry by the devastatingly tragic WWI casualty of Wilfred Owen), it is one of the most moving and passionate anti-war works ever...both written by Brits who were pacifists and conscientious objectors. 

11 hours ago, karelm said:

A fantastic and sadly timely work in an excellent performance & recording.  Michael Tippet's World War II cantata "A Child of our Time". 

I watched that on the BBC Proms last year. Very moving piece indeed!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Bloch - Evocations

A colourful blend of Impressionism and neo-Romanticism.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Been really in the mood for brass-only ensembles today.

Enjoyable new discovery

Malcolm Arnold is a very fine composer.  His symphonies and film scores are excellent and very fun.  Sadly his life was very troubled but his music is generally good natured.  He composed the score to the wonderful movie, "The Bridge on the River Kwai" which featured our very own Alec Guinness in a memorable performance.  The score was composed in only ten days winning Arnold the oscar for best score!  I would encourage anyone who enjoys his style to seek out all of his symphonies.  His sound lies somewhere between Mahler, Prokofiev, and Shostakovitch but with greater brevity.  There is great pathos but with a sardonic and folk dance quality too.  Like many composers they are somewhat autobiographical and should be listened in order.

On 1-2-2017 at 7:54 PM, Disco Stu said:

Been really in the mood for brass-only ensembles today.

There's something so enchanting and powerful about the sound of a brass ensemble.