Muad'Dib

The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:53 PM, Bespin said:

That's not the recommended version of the book, but I can't find it. Anyway, that's a recommendation on http://www.arkivmusic.com.

Aside from the ones you and Stu already discussed, Oue's version with Minnesota and the recent release from Slatkin with Detroit are also very good.

4 hours ago, Loert said:

Very cute. But don't know what's up with the thumbnail.

I keep meaning to venture beyond his 5th symphony, but I never get around to it.  I seem to recall listening to one other symphony of his, but now I can't remember which one.  I'll have to break out the complete set I have and binge them.

3 hours ago, Loert said:

Compelling symphony by the Soviet composer Tikhon Khrennikov. I particularly liked the 1st movement.

Ugh No!  This is quite a mediocre symphony by a mediocre composer in a very mediocre performance.  If you like Soviet music, listen to Popov's Symphony No. 1 (1934):

Popov's Symphony No. 1 can proudly stand along with Prokofiev and Shostakovitch as distinctive and successful multi faceted symphonies that stand the test of time.  Unfortunately, his other symphonies became more soviet pop art (ala Khrennikov) due to his personality that acquiesced into official pressures and sort of sold out due to political/artistic pressures of the regime he lived under.  Khrennikov was a big part of why artistry died under his reign as head of the Soviet Composers union and acted as a voice of Stalin at his most censored.

Listening to the Popov Symphony now - wow! :o Amazing piece, and amazing story behind it I see, being banned from performance until 1972!

That reminds me of another cool piece I like from around that time - Mosolov's Iron Foundry:

Also - going back in time a bit to late 19th c, here is a favorite piece from my band days, the wind arrangement of the Finale to Kalinnikov's Symphony No. 1, in all a wonderful piece!

11 hours ago, karelm said:

Ugh No!  This is quite a mediocre symphony by a mediocre composer in a very mediocre performance.  If you like Soviet music, listen to Popov's Symphony No. 1 (1934):

I wouldn't put it in the same league as Shostakovich or Prokofiev certainly (Khrennikov tends to sound like he doesn't fully understand what he's writing) but I wouldn't call it mediocre either; the 1st movement still leaves a great impression on me. In particular, the theme from 1:06, for some reason, reminded me of the sprawling urban landscape of Moscow, especially its Stalinist skyscrapers.

And I enjoyed that Popov symphony very much, so thanks for that! :) 

6 hours ago, Saxbabe said:

That reminds me of another cool piece I like from around that time - Mosolov's Iron Foundry:

A very fine piece indeed. I think it may have even influenced JW's "March of the Ewoks"!

I happened to be listening to Prokofiev's ballet "The Age of Steel" a few days ago, a work he finished a year before Mosolov finished "The Iron Foundry", and I noticed a distinct similarity between the Mosolov piece and the "Factory" episode:

The entire ballet is worth a listen in fact.

9 hours ago, Saxbabe said:

Listening to the Popov Symphony now - wow! :o Amazing piece, and amazing story behind it I see, being banned from performance until 1972!

Also - going back in time a bit to late 19th c, here is a favorite piece from my band days, the wind arrangement of the Finale to Kalinnikov's Symphony No. 1, in all a wonderful piece!

I've played the Kalinnikov Symphony No. 1 in concert.  None of us had heard of the composer or this work but immediately loved it as a very Tchaikovsky late romantic Russian symphony with many great tunes.  The audience enjoyed it as well.  Lots of brass in the ending movement...it was quite a blow. 

2 hours ago, Loert said:

A very fine piece indeed. I think it may have even influenced JW's "March of the Ewoks"!

I happened to be listening to Prokofiev's ballet "The Age of Steel" a few days ago, a work he finished a year before Mosolov finished "The Iron Foundry", and I noticed a distinct similarity between the Mosolov piece and the "Factory" episode:

The entire ballet is worth a listen in fact.

This was part of the Soviet Futurism where much of their music represented mechnical progress.  Futurist music rejected tradition and introduced experimental sounds inspired by machinery, and influenced several 20th-century composers so it was perfect for these infante terriblé composers like Mosolov, Prokofiev, Varese, Antheil, etc.  It was a fad and most of it ended by the mid 1930's.  

A very fine and dramatic symphony by the extremely profilic Finish composer, Kalevi Aho.  His Symphony No. 4 from 1972 has many beautiful and frightening moments.  Aho just completed his Symphony No. 17 to be premiered in 2018. 

I find at around 6:52 of the first movement, the ominous bassoon and low string line reminds me somewhat of John Williams ominous underscore.  If you enjoy Rautavaara, Mahler, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, and Salonen, you will find much to enjoy with this composer.