Muad'Dib

The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

1806 posts in this topic

Dutch-born composer Bernard van Dieren's enigmatic "Chinese Symphony" (Symphony No.1) for soloists, chorus and orchestra.

One of the greatest pieces of music ever written? I think so.

LampPost likes this

25 minutes ago, KK said:

It's quite wonderful, isn't it? 

My favourite variation on the theme is the prelude to Act 3 of Siegfried:

He mixes in the 'Spear motif' (among others), and bases the accompaniment on the Ride of the Valkyries rhythm, to boot. Wagner wrote it after a 12-year break from the Ring to write Tristan und Isolde and Die Meistersinger, and it almost sounds like Wagner is thinking "I'm back!". :D

1 hour ago, KK said:

Damn you Zimmer with your perpetual drones and arpeggios!  Oh wait...yes, a magnificent, ethereal opening.  It so perfectly sets up a "once upon a time" feel that "you are about to hear an epic story of significance".  The entire tetralogy is superb drama and music.  It's a marathon but very effective to hear the work in its entirety in a live performance.  I heard it with the SF opera and recall in the final climactic passages of the destruction and apotheosis that I was weeping at the spectacle while everyone else around me had dozed off due to the excessive duration.  hahaha

15 hours ago, publicist said:

Dutch-born composer Bernard van Dieren's enigmatic "Chinese Symphony" (Symphony No.1) for soloists, chorus and orchestra.

Failed to maintain my attention through its duration.  Lacks cohesion and inventiveness.  Do you like it?  Have you heard K. Szymanowski's Symphony No. 3?  A much better version of this sort of thing:

7 hours ago, karelm said:

Failed to maintain my attention through its duration.  Lacks cohesion and inventiveness.  Do you like it?  Have you heard K. Szymanowski's Symphony No. 3?  A much better version of this sort of thing:

I was interested in the merging of euro/asian idioms though it didn't really happen (the stark mood i still appreciated). The Szymanowski is probably an unfair comparison, since Van Dieren is basically an unknown while Szymanowski's piece is rightly registered as one of the best works of the first half of the century.