• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Muad'Dib

The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

1921 posts in this topic

I enjoyed this CD very much (the link is only to track 1 but the entire CD is on the playlist):

It reminded me of John Williams and Ralph Vaughan Williams symphonies in places.

Looking for some orchestral music that sounds like big old monster movies. I'm talking big, loud and mostly, brassy.

7 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Looking for some orchestral music that sounds like big old monster movies. I'm talking big, loud and mostly, brassy.

I'd recommend Eshpai's Symphony No. 8 which reminds me of vintage Godzilla stuff in places like here:

Richard likes this

Stumbled onto one of Rota's piano concertos. The second movement has been stuck in my head all day:

Allow me to put forth the undaring opinion that Tchaikovsky's 5th Symphony, 2nd Movement is perfect. I love it so much.

Bespin likes this

Beethoven, never enough.

On 2 April 1800 first concert for his own benefit in Vienna with the première of the First Symphony...

On 6/8/2017 at 6:47 PM, Disco Stu said:

Allow me to put forth the undaring opinion that Tchaikovsky's 5th Symphony, 2nd Movement is perfect. I love it so much.

I like the horn solo

Disco Stu likes this

My favourite recording is still Previn with the LSO, though.

7 hours ago, Hawmy said:

I like the horn solo

The whole thing is constructed so wonderfully.  I love the climax of the first section, when that "unstable" melody is introduced, developed and eventually climaxes with the brass crescendo of the melody from the first movement. Brilliant.

(7:47 - 9:30)

Hawmy likes this

Today for my music history final we had to listen to samples and name the style of the composition (multiple choice). 

There was one in particular I really liked. The only two plausible options were "a Beethoven symphony" or "a Wagner opera." 

The bit we heard basically had rapid repeated string figures with a bold horn (at least I think it was horns) melody over top. It was very "epic," if you know what I mean.

Does anyone have any clue what Beethoven or Wagner work this might be from? Obviously this description is incredibly vague, but I do imagine, if this helps, that the piece is fairly famous, since the rest of our listening samples (the ones I actually could identify precisely) were all famous works. And I am not particularly familiar with either composer, so it is perfectly plausible that it's a very famous work even though I couldn't identify it. 

Just so you know, it was not this:

I remember the melody over top having much more notes -- here it's just one sustained note. 

10 minutes ago, Will said:

Does anyone have any clue what Beethoven or Wagner work this might be from?

Since you specifically mention a bold horn, I would start with Wagner. Could it be this?

Disco Stu and Will like this

15 minutes ago, Will said:

The bit we heard basically had rapid repeated string figures with a bold horn (at least I think it was horns) melody over top. It was very "epic," if you know what I mean.

Does anyone have any clue what Beethoven or Wagner work this might be from?

It wasn't Ride of the Valkyries, was it?

21 minutes ago, Loert said:

Since you specifically mention a bold horn, I would start with Wagner. Could it be this?

Yes, that's it!! Thanks. 

EDIT: Unfortunately, that means I got the question incorrect. Very annoying because I initially put Wagner and then erased! :lol:

13 minutes ago, Omen II said:

It wasn't Ride of the Valkyries, was it?

Nope, Loert solved it, but thanks. :)

32 minutes ago, Will said:

Yes, that's it!! Thanks. 

No problem. By the way, this prelude precedes the much more famous "Bridal Chorus":

Will likes this

Even cooler than this is the prelude to the second scene of the same act. One of my favourite orchestral Wagner bits.

Amazing recording by Kempe with the Vienna Philharmonic, by the way. Stunning acoustics at the Sophiensäle.

I finally found the set at my price.  I love Murray Perahia!

IMG_1977.JPG

While we're at it (I might have posted this before):

The Karajan recording is even more badass than this, but I can't find it on YouTube.

...and the cool thing is, it's all just leitmotifs stacked on top of each other in counterpoint.

Loert likes this

24 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

While we're at it (I might have posted this before):

The Karajan recording is even more badass than this, but I can't find it on YouTube.

...and the cool thing is, it's all just leitmotifs stacked on top of each other in counterpoint.

I believe you've posted that at least twice before, as well as once from me:lol:

While we're further at it, here are some more "bold horns" from Wagner which I love:

(this is what happens when the Nordic gods take too much LSD...)

And the Ride of the Valkyries of course...particularly the lesser-known Scene 2-3 transition:

Marian Schedenig likes this

Since 2008, I worked hard on it... I now consider to have an "okay" basic classical CD collection.

Of course I'm a "classique"... there's a lot of Bach, Mozart and Beethoven, my three favorite composers (a part from John Williams of course!).

IMG_1980.JPG

Starting with the last CDs in my collection, so the "V" section, here's my suggestions for Vivaldi

It's not really of one my favourite composer, so I have very few CDs of him, but that's my a "basic" collection for me. Everyone has to start somewhere!

Maurice André - Concerto for two trumpets

Yo-Yo Ma - Vivaldi's Cello

Paul O'dette & The Parley of Instruments - Lute & Mandolin Concertos

I know, it actually lacks the Four Seasons.... But I'm waiting to see if a never version than the Accardo one would prlease me instead (anyone to recomend?)...

IMG_2042.JPG

My basic Tchaikovsky collection.

Piano Trio in A minor

The Nutcracker

Sleeping Beauty/Swan Lake Suites

Violin Concerto

Symphonies 4, 5 & 6.

Piano Concerto no. 1

IMG_2044.JPG

Apparently Tchaikovsky despised The Nutcracker.

41 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Apparently Tchaikovsky despised The Nutcracker.

Yes and he tried to drown himself.  What a drunkard, but what a master of melody!

I forgot Verdi!

I guess the CD on the right doesn't really count and it's not a part of my "classical" collection, but it's worth mentionning as long as I own only one CD of Verdi!

IMG_2052.JPG

#He loves the way Puccini lays down a tune,

And Verdi's always creeping from his room#

16 hours ago, Bespin said:

IMG_2044.JPG

That Repin/Gergiev disc is great.  I bought that CD specifically for the Myaskovsky concerto, which is amazing, and sadly underrated and mostly unknown.

Bespin likes this

Yes great album, I recommended the one with the piano trio too. I maybe look for a newer set of the symphonies, this karajan set is maybe a little outdated..

Been listening to this on repeat...a piece written to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the October Uprising. Sounds in some ways like a condensed Symphony No.10. 

karelm likes this

I've been playing this last movement on repeat:

Also, this modern work is terrific (many of you have probably already heard it as it was on the "Summon the Heroes" CD):

15 hours ago, Loert said:

Very interesting!  I am very involved with this composer and it's quite an interesting story. He wrote a piece for the orchestra I was composer in residence for many years ago however the sheet music had been lost to time and I had to modernize/typeset it from the original manuscripts for publication since he was a composer of some repute.  We premiered it's revival. 

Loert likes this

I listened some Mendelssohn's symphonies yesterday newly recorded by Yannick Nézet-Séguin on DG.

Great!

CD REVIEW: Felix Mendelssohn - SYMPHONIES NOS. 1 - 5 (Deutsche Grammophon 479 7337)

Tchaikovsky - Symphony No.4 (Sir Thomas Beecham, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra)

My absolute favourite bit is this:

One of those themes which transports you to another world...

Hawmy and Jilal like this