• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Muad'Dib

The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

1952 posts in this topic

One of my favorites. Played it in youth symphony last year. Loads of fun.

Loert likes this

Some Bach to unwind and heal this morning.

Just stumbled onto this work by Canadian composer Jordan Pal and was really taken by it. It's pretty Adams-esque, in a textural sense. Need to look into more of his work!

Sounds Star Trek-ish...

35 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

I just love the ending from 14:21. So powerful! 

1 hour ago, Loert said:

Nice! Incidentally, I'll be in Munich this Friday to attend a performance of Schreker's opera Die Gezeichneten.

Loert likes this

Let's all pay our respects to Mahler today with this.  Not the greatest quality, but the performance has a certain air about it.

karelm likes this

Happy birthday Mahler! I really adore the 2002 Proms performance of that symphony with Rattle and National Youth Orchestra:

But my favourite symphony is No.6!

karelm likes this

On 7/4/2017 at 11:52 AM, Loert said:

Seriously excellent piece!

On 04/07/2017 at 7:28 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Nice! Incidentally, I'll be in Munich this Friday to attend a performance of Schreker's opera Die Gezeichneten.

...and only there did I realise that the cue posted above is taken from that opera anyway. The Munich performance was stunning, by the way. Rarely have I heard such a fine cast and such a great orchestra in a live opera performance.

Loert likes this

OK, need your classical music experts' help, once more!

Here are a few pieces of music which I believe come from the classical repertoire (at least 2, 4 and 5 sounds like samples from classical works to me) but which I haven't be able to identify. Do they sound familiar to anyone?

EDIT: Original piece identified by karelm!

P.S.: I know about the Ride Of The Valkyries quote in the 5th sample. I'm trying to identify the rest of the music heard in that one.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

OK, need your classical music experts' help, once more!

Here are a few pieces of music which I believe come from the classical repertoire (at least 2, 4 and 5 sounds like samples from classical works to me) but which I haven't be able to identify. Do they sound familiar to anyone?

P.S.: I know about the Ride Of The Valkyries quote in the 5th sample. I'm trying to identify the rest of the music heard in that one.

The first one is a folk song "Believe Me, if All Those Endearing Young Charms".   Coincidentally the same song Yosemite Sam tried to get Bugs Bunny to play and trigger a bomb.  I don't see # 4.

3 hours ago, karelm said:

The first one is a folk song "Believe Me, if All Those Endearing Young Charms".   Coincidentally the same song Yosemite Sam tried to get Bugs Bunny to play and trigger a bomb.

Nice! Thanks for that one!

3 hours ago, karelm said:

I don't see # 4.

You mean it doesn't show up? It sometimes happen when the web browser has to load many media files, especially "large" ones (these were 320kbps mp3s). Sometimes refreshing the page works (and sometimes it doesn't...). I've removed the first file (since you identified it) and reduced the size of the others by half. It should work now (and tell me if it doesn't. I'll try something else then).

So, any other members that would like to venture guesses about those pieces of music? @KK? @TheGreyPilgrim? @Sharky? @Loert? I thought you guys knew everything when it comes to classical music! Always mentioning obscure composers with unpronounceable names, from countries know one ever heard about!

Thank you for your answer, Marian! You're better than all the members I just named!

Now, my question is: do you think they could be classical pieces, but you're just not familiar with them, or do you think they probably have nothing to do with the classical repertoire?

To me, they seem like they're probably meant to sound as though they're classical pieces, but likely aren't. 

The loud timpani combined with the slightly unorthodox orchestration reminds me of Sibelius, or maybe even Brahms...two composers I know almost nothing about! :(

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

To me, they seem like they're probably meant to sound as though they're classical pieces, but likely aren't. 

This is what I thought, too. We're talking film scores here.

Well, in this particular case, it's a score that references A LOT of classical music, folk songs, etc., hence why I thought those particular moments could be based on classical pieces. Especially since some of those bits sound familiar to me, particularly 4 and 5 (but maybe that's because they use the same idiom as classical music, and also possibly because the composer was mimicking the style of some classical composers (which would explain why it reminds Loert of Brahms and Sibelius)).

Thank you for your answers, guys! Much appreciated.

2 hours ago, Loert said:

The loud timpani combined with the slightly unorthodox orchestration reminds me of Sibelius, or maybe even Brahms...two composers I know almost nothing about! :(

I know everything about Sibelius.  This is absolutely not Sib.  The last one sounds like it could be orchestral Liszt. By the way BloodBoal, where did you get these from?  Shouldn't that be a clue?  I could also see/hear these as being operettas.  Borrowing 19th century operatic devices for a more popular turn of the century idiom. 

Loert likes this

4 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

+1

6 hours ago, karelm said:

I know everything about Sibelius.  This is absolutely not Sib.  The last one sounds like it could be orchestral Liszt. By the way BloodBoal, where did you get these from?  Shouldn't that be a clue?

Well, it's from John Lanchbery's adaptation of Breil's score for The Birth Of A Nation. The original score already used tons of classical pieces and folk songs, and for his adaptation, Lanchbery replaced some with other pieces (Tchaikovsky's Francesca Da Rimini is an example. Believe Me, If All Those Endearing Young Charms, which you helepd me identify, is another), and added some material of his own too. I'm trying to fill in some of the blanks for my analysis of the score, but the thing is, since I'm not particularly knowledgeable when it comes to classical music, it's sometimes hard for me to tell when a certain part is a piece of pre-existing material, or original material by Lanchbery (heck, the only reason I found out about Francesca Da Rimini being used is because it was mentioned in an article about a Blu-Ray release of the film).

But hey, if all you guys say it's not classical music, I believe you. It means it's most likely Lanchbery's own material.

So Many pianists in the world and history, so few who can play Chopin well.

On 7/14/2017 at 11:26 AM, BloodBoal said:

So, any other members that would like to venture guesses about those pieces of music? @KK? @TheGreyPilgrim? @Sharky? @Loert? I thought you guys knew everything when it comes to classical music! Always mentioning obscure composers with unpronounceable names, from countries know one ever heard about!

Sorry, just got to see this! Like the others, I can't really identify the clips. They are likely just pieces of early film music, where a lot of them used a lot of familiar tropes of classical music from the Romantic era, but still film music.