The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

I hadn't seen this before.  I'm riveted.  In heaven.

Leonard Bernstein leading a rehearsal of my favorite movement from my favorite symphony for his last ever concert at Tanglewood.

Bernstein Rehearses Copland at Tanglewood, 1990: Part 1

Both Bernstein and Copland would be dead within 6 months of this video.

21 hours ago, Holko said:

Tomorrow's the 100th anniversary of the premiere of The Planets. Time to get out the JW Conducts Decca album!

Forget it. The only THE PLANETS you need, is the Previn/LSO....

....maybe the Dutoit/Montreal, as well.

21 hours ago, Holko said:

Tomorrow's the 100th anniversary of the premiere of The Planets. Time to get out the JW Conducts Decca album!

Exactly.  Note that on that compilation, the volume of the tracks have been slightly adjusted (without compression altough) to meet the modern standard.  The volume level was so low on the original Phillips albums...

This compilation is a must have.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « JOhn Williams conducts decca planets »

21 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Mars, The Bringer of Lawsuits!

21 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's what Zimmer said.

No, I think Zimmer's was something like:

Wallfisch, the Bringer of Collaboration

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

This compilation is a must have.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « JOhn Williams conducts decca planets »

I don't have this one. Unfortunately at this point this is the only JW BPO CD I have:

Image result for out of this world john williams

Still some great stuff!

I honestly believe that at least part of the major popularity of The Planets comes from its name, which immediately kindles the imagination of every listener, but especially the young listener of the present scientific age (whether or not it is the "imagination" which Holst intended...that's a separate matter!). Had Holst called it "Suite for Orchestra, in 7 Movements (Op.32)", and had "Mars: The Bringer of War" instead been called "Allegro energico, ma non troppo" I'm sure it wouldn't be as often performed as it is today.

Unfortunate, but probably true.  The world would be at a loss, though.

Same if Williams released the Star Wars scores as Symphonic Fantasies with such movements as "Romance,"  "March" and "Fugato"  

I have to admit, never been a huge fan of The Planets.  Well, relative to its popularity and reputation at least.  It’s not among my favorite orchestral music by any stretch.

And now for something completely different...

What I love about Kapustin is that not only is his music top-rate, but most of his pieces are written down on paper, which make them great for people like me who are interested in the jazz vein but who come fundamentally from a classical background (Kapustin's rationale for this is that he believed he could write "better" music by actually composing it rather than it originating from an improvisation - obviously a point which will inevitably lead to some disagreement, although one has to admit that the act of composition gives something to the music which an improvisation session wouldn't, and vice versa).

1 hour ago, Steve McQueen said:

Same if Williams released the Star Wars scores as Symphonic Fantasies with such movements as "Romance,"  "March" and "Fugato"  

I take it Adagio for Force Awakens isn't doing too well, eh?

22 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I take it Adagio for Force Awakens isn't doing too well, eh?

Yeah, needs to be titled Han Solo's Hymn or something.  

Igor Stravinsky: Circus Polka For A Young Elephant

When you find this on your Recommended For You list.

Such a whacky name and a different idea, I clicked and listened right away. Sharing it with you.

19 hours ago, karelm said:

Maybe a catchy title will help the work get heard once and if its great music, it will be remembered...perhaps that is what you are saying.

I should make clear what I'm not saying. I'm NOT saying that the quality of the music improves with a better title. But I think that the title, and especially the context of a piece of music (e.g. in a film or documentary) does make first impressions which cannot be ignored. But of course, I like to believe that a piece of music can be judged entirely on its intrinsic musical quality.

On 9/28/2018 at 2:25 PM, Disco Stu said:

Hyperbolic hagiographies of Steve Jobs' influence on our culture annoy me.  Music's not bad, but the libretto is unintentionally ludicrous.

That can make it more entertaining, in my experience. I have a similar feeling when listening to Dr. Atomic, although the technical jargon of that libretto's probably not as bad as in the Jobs thing.

9 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Hmmm... I need to listen to Schubert more often.

Check out Marriner's complete set, especially Newbould's completions of symphonies Nos. 7 and 10.

Also check out Bernstein's frenetic take on The Great, especially the last movement.

Has anyone heard Jonathan Leshnoff's Clarinet Concerto?  I've been listening to the Marine Band recording off and on this year and I kind of think it's extraordinary.  One of my favorite classical pieces of the decade?

On 10/1/2018 at 3:15 PM, Loert said:

although one has to admit that the act of composition gives something to the music which an improvisation session wouldn't, and vice versa

Absolutely, although it's unfortunate that there's a stigma against improvisation in the "classical" field, that it's cheating: as Wayne Shorter once said (paraphrasing): a composer can write something down, white-out their work, and do it again, 2, 12, 13 times. So who's "cheating"?

Charles Mingus referred to improvisation as "spontaneous composition", distinguishing it from "pencil composers". 

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Absolutely, although it's unfortunate that there's a stigma against improvisation in the "classical" field, that it's cheating: as Wayne Shorter once said (paraphrasing): a composer can write something down, white-out their work, and do it again, 2, 12, 13 times. So who's "cheating"?

Charles Mingus referred to improvisation as "spontaneous composition", distinguishing it from "pencil composers". 

Let us remember that the Grand Master, Bach, could do both, and do them very well.

Also, Bruckner, I hear, was quite the force improvising on the organ.  

40 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Let us remember that the Grand Master, Bach, could do both, and do them very well.

Also, Bruckner, I hear, was quite the force improvising on the organ.  

Many of who we call the greats were known for their improvisation skills. Unfortunately it has the reputation of "Aw crap, ran out of time! Eh, I'll make it up as we go." (Mozart was guilty of this, though).

55 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Many of who we call the greats were known for their improvisation skills. Unfortunately it has the reputation of "Aw crap, ran out of time! Eh, I'll make it up as we go." (Mozart was guilty of this, though).

I personally don't think performance improvisation is quite the same thing as compositional improvisation.  Like in jazz, it's usually not REALLY composing (IMHO) more like... freely coloring inside pre-decided lines.  Obviously I don't mean this as a negative.  Listening to a great musician color creatively inside those lines is an experience of joy.

BTW, thanks a lot @Loert for turning me on to Kapustin, I've listened to the pieces you posted and I freakin' love them.  I'm always on the look out for great "third stream" composers (like most, I'm not a huge fan of that term but as a short hand it just works, you know what I mean).

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I personally don't think performance improvisation is quite the same thing as compositional improvisation.  Like in jazz, it's usually not REALLY composing (IMHO) more like... freely coloring inside pre-decided lines.  Obviously I don't mean this as a negative.  Listening to a great musician color creatively inside those lines is an experience of joy.

Depends on the musician's attitude and philosophy, I hope isn't too trite to say.  Benny Golson, a lovely composer, makes the distinction you do, and you can hear this in his playing. These performances tend to be safe--I'm not just talkin' about Benny Golson now--and "circular" in a sense. It's also very old-fashioned, and a very particular, singular, albeit extremely prominent, facet of what we call jazz.

But you throw a dude like Miles Davis, Wayne Shorter, or Charles Mingus on the stage, you bet your keester you're gonna hear a piece being composed live. 

Plus, you don't think dudes like Mozart or Bach--especially Bach!--went up there and improvised without those lines to stay in, do you?

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm not a huge fan of that term but as a short hand it just works, you know what I mean)

I getchu.

49 minutes ago, KK said:

Might this be the greatest thing written for the cello? Yes, I think so.

A-hum You mean the 6 suites for solo cellos wrote by Bach?