BloodBoal

I haven't seen it in a decade - Seven either. I'll have to watch both sometime soon.

I did recently watch Fight Club on blu for the first time in a decade, and thought it held up well.

Both are great films

I disagree, one is a great film, Silence, the other is a poor mans version. Silence is warped and twisted but Se7en is the precursor to the torture horror genre. Brad Pitt gives perhaps his weakest film performance.

Silence looks fantastic on blu, it's aged perfectly. It looks like a film of that era.

That's true, but I was surprised about how much Silence is showing its age.

Yeah it is. And?

Seven isn't. There's the difference. Visually, Silence of The Lambs doesn't do it for me.

and the story of Se7en you find superior to Silence of the Lambs????

or the acting?

That's true, but I was surprised about how much Silence is showing its age.

Yeah it is. And?

Seven isn't. There's the difference. Visually, Silence of The Lambs doesn't do it for me.

That's fair enough. But there's so much more to Silence of the Lambs than its visuals, no?

all I can say to Alex is this:

It puts the lotion on the skin or else it get's the hose again.

Both are great films

I disagree, one is a great film, Silence, the other is a poor mans version. Silence is warped and twisted but Se7en is the precursor to the torture horror genre. Brad Pitt gives perhaps his weakest film performance.

Silence looks fantastic on blu, it's aged perfectly. It looks like a film of that era.

I enjoyed both films greatly but Silence was clearly the superior work in my eyes.

all I can say to Alex is this:

It puts the lotion on the skin or else it get's the hose again.

:thumbup:

Silence Of The Lambs is a great movie but I personally prefer Seven. I haven't seen the former in a long time though so my opinion could change. From what I remember, I find Seven more engrossing because you don't know who John Doe is, only from the things he's left behind. It works better as a mystery thriller in that regard. The apartment chase is amazingly shot.

And to you Joey I would say this:

Would you fuck me? Would you fuck me?

is there a correlation between how great a film is and it's quotability?

btw Quint when you typed that did you then dance with your junk tucked away. Jame Gumm>johndoe

Goodbye horses...

is there a correlation between how great a film is and it's quotability?

The lines are what people remember about classic movies more than any other factors in their making. Visuals, music, atmosphere - they all come after the lines.

or the acting?

The acting and story are good in both films. No?

Wow. How did a thread about Alien v. Aliens turn into a David Fincher thread and then a Seven v. SIlence of the Lambs thread?

All four are great films.

But just to answer the original question, I prefer Alien. It is classier.

I think Alien3 looks very good visually. The problem lies with the camerawork- Fincher's über-MTV style of filming just doesn't fit in with an Alien movie. The Alien's effects were abominable too. Although I must say, that close-up of the alien next to Ripley's face is probably the single best shot of the xenomorph in the entire franchise.

Prometheus was a real mess, but a very watchable one despite all its flaws. You know, there are people who claim that those who criticize Prometheus for having too many questions unanswered are being full of themselves because the first Alien also left a lot unanswered. To me that's horsehit.

Alien doesn't answer every question you may have while watching either, but at least everything it's characters do make sense. Plus in Alien, they are just a bunch of blue collar workers trying to survive. In Prometheus, the characters are scientists who are constantly asking questions and studying everything - the movie is ABOUt questioning things - but the movie doesn't really answer anything. It's completely different.

or the acting?

I don't think Se7en's acting and story are even close to the level of Silence of the Lambs. Despite great actors like Morgan Freeman and Kevin Spacey, Brad Pitt will never be anything but average, their performances do not come close to Anthony Hopkins, Jodie Fosters, Scott Glenn, and Ted Levine.

I think Morgan Freeman is terrific, there are few roles I could even be critical of his performances. If I consider Silence a five star film, which I do, I can only give Se7en 3 stars at best. I think the story in Se7en has real problems and I consider Doe's death to be #8 not 7 as his murder of Paltrow and the child is #6 and 7. Perhaps I'm picking but for a religious fanatics such as Doe I think that he would take into account.

It's a catch 22. The death of an unborn baby helps juries decide that the murder of a pregnant woman is more heinous, and onscreen it serves to enhance the Wrath of his father, but if the killing of an unborn baby really does count as murder, why do we only celebrate birthdays? Why force people to wait the extra nine months to drink at age 21, instead of saying that at (what we currently consider) age 20 and three months to be 21, because the first nine months were in the womb? Let's celebrate the time of conception instead.

I am not discussing real world implications because that violates board rules, but the motivations and beliefs of Spacey's character seem incongruous with his actions.

Again I'm not calling Se7en a bad movie, it's not, all I'm saying is Silence is simply greater.

Problem is most people can only guesstimate conception dates.

I realize this. If people knew exact conception dates (and partners), then Maury Povich would be out of a job.

The way I see it, the so called unanswered stuff in Alien was never the focus of the film anyway. The main thread was always about the crew, how they encountered a brilliantly conceived and realized alien being that terrorizes them, and the attempt to survive it. Simple story but executed perfectly. The space jockey, derelict ship, the android, the company... were all secondary but they added depth to the simple story. With them, there was a sense of a larger, living, mysterious world that existed beyond what was shown on screen. But that was never the focus, our attention was always with Ripley and the crew.

That's why I love Alien so much.

Although I must say, that close-up of the alien next to Ripley's face is probably the single best shot of the xenomorph in the entire franchise.

I thought we already seen something like that in Alien when the alien is looking at the cat sitting in the carrier.

or the acting?

I don't think Se7en's acting and story are even close to the level of Silence of the Lambs. Despite great actors like Morgan Freeman and Kevin Spacey, Brad Pitt will never be anything but average, their performances do not come close to Anthony Hopkins, Jodie Fosters, Scott Glenn, and Ted Levine.

I think Morgan Freeman is terrific, there are few roles I could even be critical of his performances. If I consider Silence a five star film, which I do, I can only give Se7en 3 stars at best. I think the story in Se7en has real problems and I consider Doe's death to be #8 not 7 as his murder of Paltrow and the child is #6 and 7. Perhaps I'm picking but for a religious fanatics such as Doe I think that he would take into account.

The thing is, when I've seen a movie already two or three times, or when I'm familiar with old movies, I start looking for other things besides the story and the acting. I pay especially attention to how an idea, a situation or a scene is presented and it's here where Silence Of The Lambs has failed to impress me the last time I saw it, which was on Blu-ray, no less. Seven, on the other hand, satisfied me completely.

Although I must say, that close-up of the alien next to Ripley's face is probably the single best shot of the xenomorph in the entire franchise.

I thought we already seen something like that in Alien when the alien is looking at the cat sitting in the carrier.

True. I never said that it was the ONLY great shot of the alien in the series. The shot you mentioned is worthy of mention, of course. As is the scene where the alien is slowly extending and retracting its inner jaw in the escape shuttle. I always felt the way it was doing it to be... Masturbatory, like it was playing with itself. In contrast, I can't think of a similar striking image of the alien from Aliens. Well maybe the first time we see the queen, or when the queen emerges from the smokey lift. But while the queen is a masterful design in itself, it somehow lacks the understated sleekness and odd beauty of the original xenomorph.

The queen is the ultimate alien, she is beautiful in a horrific way, when we see her in all her glory, her crown rising above, it is a sight to behold.

THAT scene is an icon of sci-fi horror. Horner's pulsing lower registers and the sound of steam blasting all around, it's movie atmosphere at its finest.