Bait for E.T.

Cantus Venti

I don't mind starting a topic on something small if it takes my particular interest. I was wondering about this part at 1:23 -

[media=]

This sounds so good. It seems simple, known as the second theme, but the roots of the inspiration still could be expounded upon. My question is, what possible influences of John Williams's can be traced from it? Older movie scores or a contemporary-classical sound? If anything pops in your head please share.

Also nice to meet everyone here.

Not sure, but that particular melody is definitely a strong contender for my favorite from this score. It has such a fun sense of...moving forward, somehow. I dunno. Hard to put into words.

Yeah, i love that theme. I think my favorite is the simple piano solo at the very end. Some how the solo piano, just after the full Orchestra cuts out and as the credits start to roll, really moves me whenever I see/hear it. Are you asking what classical composers/compositions may have influenced JW when he was writing that theme?

This is one of my favorite E.T. sub-themes!

One might hear a parallel between Herrmann and Williams? Its a bit of a stretch, but the "Driving" theme from Herrmann's Psycho slightly resembles it, if only at the beginning of the ideas (See Attachment)

post-1563-0-48293000-1340060841_thumb.pn

(forgot to mark the B-natural there in the second bar of the Herrmann)

Both are lovely though, and like DataMeister said, have that forward propelling motion about them.

• 6 years later...

I'm wondering where Bernard Herrmann got this 'playful' John Williams end-credits style at 2:38 - 2:45 

It's very reminiscent of film credits music.

https://youtu.be/kC5AzFc3coo?t=158

This forum doesn't seem to have auto video-embed.

This "driving" theme has a name. It's called "Over the Moon"! 

Don't know which theme is better. This, or the Flying Theme. They're both outstanding and awesome, in different ways. 

Anyway, one of my favourite renditions of this theme is this, at 2:12. Almost as good as the scintillating piano in "Over the Moon"!