Making the case why _________ should have won best score over E.T.

JoeinAR

1982 was a remarkably great year for films and film music. That year the Academy Awards gave out an Oscar for best Original Score and Best Song Score. The Winners being E.T. and the other Victor Victoria.

In the Best Original Score category the other nominee's were Gandhi, An Officer and a Gentleman, Poltergeist, and Sophie's Choice. However there were other score excluded but worthy choices. Star Trek The Wrath of Khan, Conan the Barbarian, The Thing, Tootsie.

I'm sure there are other that a case could be made for, nothing by Vangelis mind you, though some may try, but Goldsmith, Morricone, Poledouris, and Horner all produced great music.

What say you.

Also feel justified to make the case for E.T. if you so choose.

E.T. clearly deserved that award, especially considering its pivotal role in creating one of the most magical moments in cinema.

E.T. clearly deserved that award, especially considering its pivotal role in creating one of the most magical moments in cinema.

Have to agree. lots of great films and scores that year, Poltergeist, I thought, was also very good. But all the more significant that ET was able to stand above the others, really an incredible score and movie.

Despite some great scores in 1982 (The Thing? Seriously??), E.T. towers above all. It was the rightful winner. It's better to look back at 1978.

There is no justification for any other score winning that year.

As Joe clearly knows.

true but imagine if that film didn't exist.

You yourself have praised Conan more times than I can count. King Mark has seemingly endless love for Poltergeist, Trent has championed Star Trek the Wrath of Khan as it was called in it's initial 1982 release.

There are so many wonderful scores from that year now 30 years gone.

You only have to open your ears and listen to all the great scores and be truly amazed.

The only thing that comes close to E.T. in that year is The Thing.

I can't say I liked The Thing much. 1982 was a great year for scores with some fantastic entries (Conan, Wrath of Kahn, Poltergeist) but I wouldn't really put The Thing up on that list.

Conan The Barbarian. Because it kicks ass.

I agree. Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan should have gotten the award.

I agree. E.T. clearly deserved that award.

Make up your mind BloodBoal!!

yes Roald, the Thing is a great effective score. It builds mood and suspense with reckless abandon.

E.T. deserved it but Conan should have been nominated over an Officer and a Gentlemen and Gandhi. Dare I say Gandhi was nominated because it had Ravi Shankar attached to it?

yes Roald, the Thing is a great effective score. It builds mood and suspense with reckless abandon.

You're really one of those sick '82-philes aren't you...? ;)

I can't say I liked The Thing much. 1982 was a great year for scores with some fantastic entries (Conan, Wrath of Kahn, Poltergeist) but I wouldn't really put The Thing up on that list.

You're aware of my obsession with Morricone, right? :P

The flick is also my favorite horror film.

E.T. was a deserved winner, but so would Vangelis' BLADE RUNNER have been. Both of those are among my alltime favourite scores, and -- incidentally -- both the object of my master thesis.

You're aware of my obsession with Morricone, right? :P

Hehe, forgot about that ;)

The only score that gets anywhere near to the greatness of E.T. is Poltergeist. Blade Runner was 'Oscar worthy' in any other year. Just not that one.

I never liked Blade Runner. I refrain from calling it severely overhyped because I've yet to see the film which according to everyone is essential for understanding the supposed "brilliance" behind this score.

Personally I can't stand Vangelis' music with the exception of certain scores like Conquest 1492 or Alexander.

as I said a case cannot be made for Blade Runner's score.

Krang, I think Ravi was due a nomination simply because Gandhi was the flavor of the year for the Academy.

Roald, yes I love 82, as I've said many times it's the best year IMHO for film since I was born. It helps that it's the 30th anniversary of that great year.

A lot of film magic happened in that year.

A lot of film magic happened in that year.

Indeed. The next time a year was this good for film was 1999.

I guess that means the next one will be in 2016?

If there was no E.T. then poltergeist should have won. An Officer and Gentleman's nomination was a joke. Blade runner should have been

nominated, maybe even awarded, the only synth score I love(with the film that is).

I've listened to ET, TWOK, Poltergeist, and Blade Runner WAY more than I've ever listened to Conan.

Blade Runner? More than Conan? :o

Do you guys really enjoy that score on album or are most of you just listing it among your favourites due to its use in film?

Well, I don't actually own any Conan CDs. I know the theme from my Kunzel CD and I've listened to mp3s of the re-recording once but that's it. Blade Runner I enjoyed as a teenager when I got the OST from BMG music club but I don't think I've listened to it in 15 years.

Second that. There was no score that came even close to the stature of ET. I'm worried about what present-day Academy would have chosen though :s

Second that. There was no score that came even close to the stature of ET. I'm worried about what present-day Academy would have chosen though :s

As a film score (in context), I think BLADE RUNNER was just as 'present' as E.T. -- and certainly more original -- but it operates on whole other levels, and with a very different mission in mind. If there had been any justice in the world, both of them would have gotten the award.

Some other great ones too that year -- CONAN, STAR TREK II, MONSIGNOR, FIRST BLOOD and PINK FLOYD: THE WALL.

Never really cared for POLTERGEIST. Can't really remember the scores for GANDHI, TOOTISE and SOPHIE'S CHOICE, although the films were fine. THE THING is a wonderful movie, and the score is effective enough in context, but I wouldn't touch the album with a ten foot pole.

No, for 1982, it's E.T. and BLADE RUNNER.

And then everything else.

Blade Runner is just awful in my opinion. As I said there is no case to be made for vangelis. He is as bad if not worse than zimmer. I admire those who try futile as it is.

Conan is an epic score along the lines of Ben Hur, it's majesty is really beyond compare that year in terms of sheer size. I enjoy this score so much. I love the diversity. It's strong, dark, and other times light and absolutely lyrical. You can easily dance on air to this score.

Blade Runner is just awful in my opinion. As I said there is no case to be made for vangelis. He is as bad if not worse than zimmer. I admire those who try futile as it is.

I have to agree with this 100% except for the fact that I believe Vangelis is wor t than Zimmer, way worse. Although I did like Conquest 1492 and Alexander to some degree.

People forget how "big" the E.T. phenomenon was in 1982. Of course it won best score with no other possible options

I've never understood the deal about the Conan score. I always get bored half way through it

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, Conan The Barbarian, and The Thing were all under Universal Pictures. So "The Thing" didn't really have a chance of being nominated or getting the backing of the studio.

IMHO, the answer is nothing. Nothing deserved to win over E.T. in 1982 or in any other year.

It is my favorite Williams score and my favroite score of all time. I think it is the greatest score ever written.

IMHO, the answer is nothing. Nothing deserved to win over E.T. in 1982 or in any other year.

It is my favorite Williams score and my favroite score of all time. I think it is the greatest score ever written.

Tell us how you really feel.

2007 is my favorite year for film.

Really? Why?

The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

No Country For Old Men

There Will Be Blood

I'm Not There

Zodiac

Michael Clayton

3:10 To Yuma

The Darjeeling Limited

Ratatouille

2007 is my favorite year for film.

Really? Why?

The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

No Country For Old Men

There Will Be Blood

I'm Not There

Zodiac

Michael Clayton

3:10 To Yuma

The Darjeeling Limited

Ratatouille

:up: 2007 was a great year for film as well, easily the best since 1999.

To that list I'd add Bridge to Terabithia and Away from Her.

:up: You're the only other person I know who's seen Bridge to Teribithia, let alone liked it! I thought it was great.