SCORE: Prometheus (Marc Streitenfeld)

KK

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't agree about this score showing some sort of a lack of experience - I think the minimalist approach is crucial to the tension in the film. HGW's theme works as a thematic introduction, but more widespread use would I think have made the alien environment seem too 'normal'.

I have no problem against a minimalist approach. But just because minimalism is an appropriate approach doesn't mean the themes should lack memorability. Heck Goldsmith's and Horner's themes were very memorable themes (heck, the original Alien film was about as minimalistic as the films got in the franchise). The nature of the themes showed Streitenfeld's inexperience when it came to constructing themes. Also, there is a serious lack of development in the score which shows that the composer struggled with portraying the narrative arc of the film (which can be achieved even with minimalism). Again, its not necessarily a bad thing, you can tell the composer is learning.

And I never said we should hear more of Williams' theme (even though oddly enough we do hear more of it in film). I simply said he could have provided a more interesting score had he scored the whole thing (and he would have kept it appropriate to the film).