Why John Williams might be as good as the most enthusiastic fanboy says

indy4

What I'm saying in all my enthusiastic fanboyness is that, for the moment, screw all the JW classics. There's plenty of time for those and we all know them by heart anyway. We understand they're greatness. Now, play that 10-seconds of JW music for the Amblin logo. You'll take in a lot in those few seconds. You'll instantly recognize it's JW, first of all. What other composer do you experience that (in such a positive way, not "oh, another Zimmer electronic bass rhythm...")? You'll become excited, enchanted and get that warm fuzzy feeling in your soul. You can fly now. That's JW. No one else can do this. It's why I even use my ears these days.

You'll instantly recognize it's JW, first of all. What other composer do you get that from (in a positive way, not "oh, another Zimmer electronic bass rhythm")?

Plenty of composers, including Zimmer.

What I'm saying in all my enthusiastic fanboyness is that, for the moment, screw all the JW classics. There's plenty of time for those and we all know them by heart anyway. We understand they're greatness. Now, play that 10-seconds of JW music for the Amblin logo. You'll take in a lot in those few seconds. You'll instantly recognize it's JW, first of all. What other composer do you experience that (in such a positive way, not "oh, another Zimmer electronic bass rhythm...")? You'll become excited, enchanted and get that warm fuzzy feeling in your soul. You can fly now. That's JW. No one else can do this. It's why I even use my ears these days.

Justin is right.

Also I just listened some of the newest spidey music, first it sounded cool, soon was I bored.

Cool, base flattering recording, Would sound ridiculous live compering to Williams Fanfare for Fenwey.

That man is a real musician, Johnny.

Morricone's better anyways.

He can suck it.

[media=]

If this doesn't move your soul, you're a monster and to hell with you.

No one can do what John Williams does. I'm out of my mind, that's certainly a fact, but it's also a fact that you should be able to get off to the Amblin Entertainment logo. 10 seconds or whatever it is. Should be about all you need. If you don't understand why Williams is great after that, you never will.

Ok, it's one thing when we make John Williams better than all the other composers of every other genre who have EVER lived, but now we know you get sexual satisfaction from a ten second clip of music. You're either the most sexually adept young man in the world, or you carry a baby's diaper bag to change your own pants everytime you go to a movie.

Ok, this mentality of "It's John Williams versus Hans Zimmer, there are no other competitors" is pretty old. The opening fanfare to "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" gives me the same level of chills that John's "Star Wars: Main Title" did on the big screen when I saw it back in 1997. The thunderous drums of "Riders of Doom" give me a warm fuzzy. So does the video I linked in the beginning of this post. So does Conti's way of showing us Rocky "going the distance." So does...so does...so does...so does...so does... Williams is the only one that gets your rocks off? Great. He's not the only one that does it for the rest of us...ECLECTIC...individuals.

This really moved my soul....to the point where I can vomit. Women singing isn't my strongest point. That goes also with Opera music.

This really moved my soul....to the point where I can vomit. Women singing isn't my strongest point. That goes also with Opera music.

afae2__Poker-Face.png

[media=]

Really? I admit, Morricone is the undisputed king of the Spaghetti Western score. And this is no exception. But really... I can get this from The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. I would have used something from Dead Poets Society. It's a bit more comparable.

I do appreciate Morricone's individuality. But just because something is different, it doesn't make it good. He tends to flounder when he is required to reinvent himself. He's too busy being Ennio Morricone to actually care about intent. He prides himself on being different, which is admirable. But he seems to limit himself, and that's how I always perceive his scores.... limited.

After reading several post in this thread, I think I no longer feel close to this place. I'm done with it. Since I never posted too much I think no one will miss me. I'll only post strict JW news and links if I'll stumble upon them of course. But you'll never read any kind of comments about anything from me.

And to all the people with whom I exchanged fruitful conversation I'll say: see you on the other side, fellows...

Bye to all.

Maurizio

--

This is actually one of the best and most insightful posts (on this subject) I've read here in a long time. I agree with this 100%.

It's part of the nature of the discussion boards on the internet: even this is a place called John Williams FAN (hence it should be natural to see people appreciating his work with enthusiasm in a broad sense), there will be always people who wants to put them in a narrow and stick labels on them such as "fanboy", "hypocritical dumb", etc. As time goes by and members get more and more used to each other, it happens more often than not that the subject of the discussions slowly slips from the object itself (i.e. the music) to the way we talk about it.

I must say this place is full of smart and clever people who are able to articulate very well why they love Williams' music. But sometimes my impression is that there are also people however who first and foremost want to stick themselves out of the bunch, entitling themselves to risky, unpopular opinions ("You know what? The music of Star Wars pretty much sucks" or sentences like that) just for the sake of show off how much different and original they are. Of course, the exchange of even wildly different opinions is the salt of a place like this, it would be really boring if everyone would enjoy the same things at the same level.

It's also the reason why I never posted too much and I'm even doing it less than ever now, because other than family/job obligations prevent me to spend too much time around here, I'm not that into throwing myself into the fray of debate just for the sake of itself. I'll leave to you the pleasure to slay off with each other :)

As for not being ashamed of showing my own enthusiasm for Williams' music, well, I listen to the Man's music since I was 5-years old. I don't think I need to justify myself for liking it so dearly and deeply.

why I disagree with you? why I think your statement is wrong? that JW has a deeper and better understanding of any given scene in a movie than any other film composer? because you don't have the knowledge or examples to support it. no one has. how does one measure such things? you make it sound like it would automatically result in a better and more complex, memorable and beautiful piece of music when that's not the case at all. he could have a different understanding that you happen to prefer. why say it's deeper?

and that's why I wouldn't and never have stated such things. even about thomas newman.

Alice, I didn't say "JW has a deeper and better understanding of any given scene in a movie than any other film composer." I said most composers (you yourself specifically asked for clarification).

And again, I don't have to prove it; hell, it won't even be possible to prove it, this isn't science. Obviously, I don't know every piece of music that's out there (nobody does), but I don't need to know them all to make this statement. For me, JW has a better understanding of any given scene than most other film composers (and I know many). But that stands to reason, otherwise I won't be a JW fan. And I know that and I feel that way because I listen to his music and see the movies he scored, and the way he writes many cues speaks directly to my heart and touches upon the core meaning of a scene in a way I haven't seen in most other composers' works.Again, this is my own personal opinion. Many here will agree with me, others won't. That's all.

After reading several post in this thread, I think I no longer feel close to this place. I'm done with it. Since I never posted too much I think no one will miss me. I'll only post strict JW news and links if I'll stumble upon them of course. But you'll never read any kind of comments about anything from me.

I just hope Ricard will continue to update the main page, so I can avoid to stop here just to find news.

And to all the people with whom I exchanged fruitful conversation I'll say: see you on the other side, fellows...

Bye to all.

Maurizio

--

Oh get over yourself, it's just talk. Fanboys vs. Fools vs. Pragmatists. The eternal struggle of the internet.

And you're quitting because of it? How disappointing; I've always thought of you as one of the Pragmatists - and inherently worth reading. Sort yourself out, man!

It's not that I read something I despised, don't worry Quint. This place is full of nice, fun and clever people. I just realized I feel now detached from this kind of conversations and, more in general, toward the discussionboard-style of confrontations. It's more like that I was looking for an excuse. It's just me, there's nothing wrong with any of you. This has always been a fun place for me, but it happens one realizes that probably has already spent a lot of time in it. It's time to move on, like it happened to many other early members here.

Thanks for your nice words, anyway. I appreciate.

Bye,

Maurizio

--

Well it must have been something I said because I've been the only antagonistic douchebag in this thread.

Maurizio, if it's any consolation, my anarchist and mostly untruthful comments were, as far as I remember, never aimed at you, and so if I must go to bed tonight knowing that I caused the departure of one of JWFan's members, know that you were never a blip on the radar of who I would consider wanting to see leave.

Once you join JWFAN, you can't leave it. JWFAN won't let you.

No, no, a lot of members have matured or just gotten boring and moved on.

Wojo...JW is dead to you...!

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

The opening fanfare to "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" gives me the same level of chills that John's "Star Wars: Main Title" did on the big screen when I saw it back in 1997. Williams is...not the only one that does it for the rest of us...ECLECTIC...individuals.

:peepwall:

I think classical music is miles better than John Williams music, I just like John Williams music miles more than classical music.

Perfectly fine.

BB, I removed what I put here. It was too soon to make that joke.

You'll instantly recognize it's JW, first of all. What other composer do you get that from (in a positive way, not "oh, another Zimmer electronic bass rhythm")?

Plenty of composers, including Zimmer.

Errrm, No. I am struggling recognising who the hell wrote what today.

We know of Zimmer as he is writing for the biggest films and he is (unfortunately)

the most prolific composer in the media at this point.

Okay, that's you. I have no trouble identifying composers with style.

I just listened to the end of E.T. and concluded that Williams is not as good as the most enthusiastic fanboy says. He's better.

Yes...