JW's best mini-fanfare? (no main themes)

Jilal

As we all know, mini-fanfares are scattered all across John's scores. Now which one is your favorite?

Mine:

the ones in the second part of "Dueling the Basilisk" from Chamber of Secrets, starting at 3:48, the fanfare at 3:51 in "The Basket Game" and the fanfare at 0:45 in "Desert Chase" from Raiders.

Also the fanfare at 3:29 of Enter Lord Vader from ROTS.

And of course, Jabba Introduction/Start Your Engines from TPM.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:46 seconds in The Land Race is a mini fanfare, but it does involve the main theme. Or I suppose we could count the copied section in The American Journey.

The SW. prequels are full of mini fanfares, it's one of their strong points

Which reminds me : The unedited ending to Anakin's Dark Deeds!

The SW. prequels are full of mini fanfares, it's one of their strong points

The prequels are basically a bunch of mini fanfares connected by JW filler music.

About a minute into Re-Entry from SpaceCamp and 50 secomds into Catamaran Race from Jaws 2. Oh and how could I forget the beginning of Arrival in New York from Home Alone 2?

Oh and how could I forget the beginning of Arrival in New York from Home Alone 2?

Oh, this that the one that transitions the cue into the key change? Such a great moment.

The prequels are basically a bunch of mini fanfares connected by JW filler music.

With JW, there is no "filler," only sheer heavenly gloriousness suffused with light and joy.

The fanfare at the end of "Never-Feast' from HOOK is great.

My all-time favorites are from EMPIRE STRIKES BACK -- the one at 10:37-11:00 in the Battle of Hoth (when Luke ropes up and destroys the AT-AT with a grenade) and the one at 2:25-2:54 in Clash of the Lightsabers.

Tintin's (primary) theme actually works pretty well as a fanfare.

That's all it is. I still can't believe he made that into an actual theme - the man has written plenty of little throwaway moments that are far more memorable and enjoyable.

The fanfare at the end of Approaching Naboo Palace

You mean, the one that was slowed down on the UE?

No, Approaching Naboo Palace is from AOTC. I meant this fanfare.

[media=]

Oh, haha, i've been too busy with TPM lately ;)

I don't blame you. I have to listen to the prequels again, I've forgotten great fanfares, specially, from TPM.

Holy shit, I forgot my ABSOLUTE favorite JW mini-fanfare of alllll time!

That fanfare at the end of 'The Pit of Carkoon/Sail Barge Assault' & 'Battle of Endor III'

ahhhh it's the best, so heroic!

Other composers dream of writing such a cue like that!

Don't forget the droids!

Holy shit, I forgot my ABSOLUTE favorite JW mini-fanfare of alllll time!

That fanfare at the end of 'The Pit of Carkoon/Sail Barge Assault' & 'Battle of Endor III'

ahhhh it's the best, so heroic!

Other composers dream of writing such a cue like that!

Don't forget the droids!

About this part--does anybody know if the ascending four note line at 5:40 is supposed to be a reference to the Death Star motif from Star Wars? The notes aren't exactly the same but that's what I think of every time I hear it.

About 11:28 of "Carbon Freeze/Darth Vader's Trap/Departure of Boba Fett," the little fanfare for Luke's comeback in the unused section is quite nice.

EDIT: Ooh! 3:14 of "Short Round Helps"! When Indy swings between the catwalks. Always loved that one.

Williams gets a lot of mileage out of those three notes at the end of E.T. when the space ship hooks left. That's sort of a mini-mini-fanfare.

That reminds me, in the liner notes for some CD the author claimed that at the point where the ship leaves a rainbow in the sky (during this fanfare, if I remember correctly), Williams references "Over the Rainbow."

The best of the best is the moment of blissful joy, excitement and adventure when Luke talks to Dack when they are about to enter the Snowspeeder right before the Battle of Hoth. This is a perfect moment, a perfect musical transcription of the joyful, youthful excitement the characters share in that scene. It doesnt get better than that!

Enjoy the best Williams fanfare from 3:34 (and with the just fanfare from 03:44) till 04:00 in "The Battle of Hoth"! Moments like that in an regardless of those superhuman score make "The Empire Strikes Back" the best score of John Williams whole career.

There is also another fanfare in Space Camp that is among Williams best: Listen to "White Sands" from 06:10 till 06:30

Also check out : Far and Away; The Big Match 03:16 till 03:24

And then there is the fabulous Rebel Fleet fanfare from RotJ: 08:29-08:40 in The Death of Yoda/Obi Wan's Revelation

Other favorites have already been mentioned like the Victory fanfare from RotJ, the Sword Fight from Hook, the British Troops motif from ToD or the New York fanfare from Home Alone 2, the Asteroid motif or Boba Fett's sinister brass fanfare...

The best of the best is the moment of blissful joy, excitement and adventure when Luke talks to Dack when they are about to enter the Snowspeeder right before the Battle of Hoth. This is a perfect moment, a perfect musical transcription of the joyful, youthful excitement the characters share in that scene. It doesnt get better than that!

Enjoy the best Williams fanfare from 3:34 (and with the just fanfare from 03:44) till 04:00 in "The Battle of Hoth"! Moments like that in an regardless of those superhuman score make "The Empire Strikes Back" the best score of John Williams whole career.

Fuck yes. Although, I didn't choose this because I thought it was against the thread's "rules"

But yes, I agree with everything you said.

Wait, has Desert Chase when the car goes off the cliff been mentioned? Awesome. They even used that in the trailer when the title comes up. I first saw that in line for The Great Movie Ride at Disney.

I wouldn't have mentioned the snowspeeder departure fanfare because it's a reworking of Luke's theme. But it's still incredibly, remarkably wonderful. I prefer it on the Anthology with a proper ending and not segueing immediately into Battle in the Snow.