Thomas Newman Appreciation Thread

Indeed. My knowing now that Alice is so enamoured with the serene lyricism of Newman makes it all the more obvious the reasons why she's spoken too of her appreciation for Silverstri's Castaway score - being that the Back to the Future composer seemingly slipped into his restful Newman mode when approaching the Zemekis essay on the human spirit and what it is to be utterly alone yet full of yearning memory. The score could've quite easily came from the pencil of Newman.

well put! I actually don't remember speaking of my appreciation for cast away, but the tranquilness and deliciously bittersweet mood that permeates silvestri's work (which may also be the reason why I cry like a baby during the wilson scene :( ) for my second favorite zemeckis film does indeed in a way resemble my favorite side of newman.

*smiles, sits back, hurries to enjoy the moment before bloodboal ruins it*
Oh, come on: admit it, I'm the reason you came back! If it wasn't for my "Conan The Barbarian Vs The Lord Of The Rings" thread, you would have stayed away from JWFAN!

your little thread did give me a small push, I'll give you that. damn you! I wasn't gonna return before I had seen the hobbit...

Welcome back Alice!

:lol: That poem is awesome Alice!

Is that a hand-shaped bookend?

hehe.. indeed it is! glad you noticed it. love my hand-shaped bookend very much!

what are your thoughts on snoozeman, jason? any score you like?

The only one I have is Shawshank Redemption, which I probably haven't listened to in 15 years

Welcome back Alice!

:lol: That poem is awesome Alice!

Is that a hand-shaped bookend?

hehe.. indeed it is! glad you noticed it. love my hand-shaped bookend very much!

what are your thoughts on snoozeman, jason? any score you like?

The only one I have is Shawshank Redemption, which I probably haven't listened to in 15 years

You should take a listen to it again soon. Also Fried Green Tomatoes, Angels in America, Meet Joe Black, Little Women, Oscar and Lucinda and Road to Perdition are few recommendations off top of my head. Oh and the much talked about American Beauty.

Oh right, I have American Beauty in mp3s too, and Green Mile on CDR. Haven't listened to any of it since college

Get Angels in America, its a quintessential Newman score and it best represents the different facets of his career.

I actually did on the previous page and at length here. :)

A wonderful combination of Thomas Newman and him channeling the past greats of film noir scoring.

Yeah, Williams is all "Play it cool Johnny. It's only the bestest film musiks compositor standing next to me. I can't wait to tweet all my buddies about this! They'll be like so like jealous and stuff. OMG!"

The only reason Williams said anything positive about Newman in the interview was because he knew Alfred back in the day.

You know how it is, he was feeling the social political obligation to support the family friend's dumb little kid.

Oh and welcome back Alice. The forum feels stuffy and snoozy again.

look at jw's starstrucked face! he's all like "omgomgomgomgomgbecool..."

2121499-thomas-newman-john-williams.jpg

What's that jacket, Margiela?

Williams has the reverse of Newman. No hair on the top of his head and crazy beard growth on the bottom of it. It appears that Williams became conscious of that neck thing he's had going on and grew the beard to cover it.

• 1 month later...
The composer's self professed love for working with smaller ensembles for better control over the sound is both interesting as it works obviously very well and at the same time frustrating since I would love to hear Newman unleashed with a 100 member symphonic ensemble as he does have the skill and talent to pull it off.

Well, the string section on the WALL-E score was pretty big. 49 violins...

I couldn't say what I prefer - Newman on a smaller scale or with orchestra.

Damn, Newman looks quite old in that picture.

Not bad for 56.

The only reason Williams said anything positive about Newman in the interview was because he knew Alfred back in the day.

You know how it is, he was feeling the social political obligation to support the family friend's dumb little kid.

Oh and welcome back Alice. The forum feels stuffy and snoozy again.

But he also worked on "The Return of the Jedi", didn't he? [Thomas Newman's first foray into film composing was assisting John Williams in conducting part of the score for Return Of The Jedi. ; http://www.denofgeek...s-thomas-newman]

I can actually see why John Williams would like Thomas Newman and vice versa. Even though they are very different composers.

• 5 years later...

So, it's recently come to my attention that Coolman wrote an eight-movement piece for the Kronos Quartet called It Goes Dark.  First premiered under John Adams' baton and later expanded into a larger orchestral setting. Anyone know anything about it?

A review:

Thomas Newman’s “It Got Dark” for the Kronos Quartet and orchestra, commissioned by the L.A. Philharmonic for the festival, is about as West Coast as you can get. Newman is from Hollywood music royalty. He is the son of Alfred Newman and nephew of Lionel Newman (famed Golden Age film composers), brother of David Newman and cousin of Randy Newman. He has written dozens of popular film scores, including “WALL-E.” The Kronos has been after him for a quartet for some time

Kronos opened the festival last month with a string quartet version of “It Got Dark.”  But Newman knows his way around an orchestra, and the piece is much more engaging blown up. Its eight short movements are meant as evocations of Los Angeles and particularly the West Side of Venice Beach or Rustic Canyon.

To me, having also lived in these places, this could have been music of just about any place. Even some historic recordings of Will Rogers' butler or a poem by Virginia Benton didn’t much help place the music.

But if there is nothing new here, Newman’s writing is comfortable in many worlds and fun to listen to. He played with various Kronos specialties, such as wild solos and Minimalist grooves. And sometimes he played with Hollywood. I especially liked a Steve Reich moment interrupted by something that sounded like it came out of a spaghetti western.

Adams, again, conducted rhythmically, demanding music with verve and the enthusiastic Kronos made the 25 non-neurotic minutes matter. And maybe after 10 nominations, Newman'll finally get the Oscar he deserves one of these days. 

It is indeed! Though I believe he was donned the title here before I got to using it. Probably by Alice.

14 minutes ago, KK said:

So, it's recently come to my attention that Coolman wrote an eight-movement piece for the Kronos Quartet called It Goes Dark.  First premiered under John Adams' baton and later expanded into a larger orchestral setting. Anyone know anything about it?

A review:

It's a great ruminative and moody work.  I believe you can find the recording at JWFan Pro...

Nice to see you around again. 

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

JWFan Old

So few of us left.

Tell me Stu, where is Alvar? For I much desire to speak with him.

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

It's a great ruminative and moody work.  I believe you can find the recording at JWFan Pro...

Cheers mate! Will do some hunting!

6 minutes ago, KK said:

So few of us left.

Tell me Stu, where is Alvar? For I much desire to speak with him.

This had me laughing hysterically when I first discovered it.

Any way, Howard Shore should write a beautiful "Lament for BB"

1 minute ago, Jerry said:

Isn't that the elf that gets axed  in the cerebral cortex at Helm's Deep? RIP.

Nay!  Celeborn sailed into the west, to the Undying Lands, with the ringbearer!

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Is this like your fun nick name for Newman?

It is either Coolman or Snoozeman, depending on the member. Plus there is nothing particularly "new" about this man so there's no point of calling him that.

Karol

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

This had me laughing hysterically when I first discovered it.

I thought it was gonna be the second verse of this

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

I thought it was gonna be the second verse of this

It’s so funny to me how some of the line readings in those movies are so memorably weird, and I love these crazy videos because it’s nice to know they get stuck in other peoples heads too.

• 2 weeks later...

Brand spankin' new Thomas Newman TV music for ya.  From the new Hulu show, Castle Rock.

More about setting a mood than giving us a melody to hang on to.

• 4 months later...