Top 10 Film Composers

Koray Savas

JNH was writing great music long before Signs. Have you heard Waterworld?

Yes, and I know that. I include the 90s in there, it's just that growing up I never connected to his music until Signs.

I love The Fugitive, Waterworld, and Wyatt Earp.

• 7 months later...

These things always change a bit, but maybe something like this:

1. John Williams

2. Danny Elfman

3. Elliot Goldenthal

4. Hans Zimmer

5. James Horner

6. James Newton Howard

7. Georges Delerue

8. Jerry Goldsmith

9. Alan Silvestri (old-style Silvestri, i.e.)

10. Franz Waxman

Although, to be perfectly honest, right now Zimmer is probably right behind Williams in terms of what I play.

So I had a good large paragraph of this written, and I accidentally clicked on a bookmark instead of the other tab I had opened and its gone. Fuck.

Thank god...

We would have had to read it.

Yes because I was holding a gun at everyone's heads.

1) Jerry Goldsmith (once and for all)

2) Bernard Herrmann

3) John Williams

4) Franz Waxman

5) Patrick Doyle

6) Howard Shore

7) Miklos Rozsa

8) Elmer Bernstein

9) James Horner

10) Wojciech Kilar

John Williams

Jerry Goldsmith

James Horner (mainly 80s and 90s)

Danny Elfman

Elliot Goldenthal

Miklos Rozsa

John Barry

Joe Hisaishi

Alex North

Bernard Hermann

These are the composers that I like most of their scores.

From other composers I love only a few, so they didn't make the top 10 composers list.

eg. Zimmer (The Thin Red line, lion King, Prince of Egypt), J.N.Howard (Waterworld), John Debney (Passion of Christ), Patrick Doyle (Frankenstein, Indochine, Great Expectations) etc..

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 10/21/2013 at 1:50 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Well if we're doing this....

(in no order)

Howard Shore

John Williams

Hans Zimmer

Jerry Goldsmith

Thomas Newman

Alex North

James Newton Howard

Vangelis

Ennio Morricone

James Horner

Honorable mentions to Paul J. Smith, Alexandre Desplat, Michael Kamen, John Powell, Michael Giacchino, Don Davis, Henry Mancini

I stand by my last-year-self. I'd add Goldenthal though.

• 8 years later...

JOHN WILLIAMS

JERRY GOLDSMITH

JOHN BARRY

JAMES HORNER

MAURICE JARRE

THOMAS NEWMAN

JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

ALEX NORTH

ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL 

DANNY ELFMAN

Supplementary list- 

This is made up of people/groups whom I do not consider film composers, yet have all contributed to film scoring 

TOTO 

QUEEN 

TANGERINE DREAM 

VANGELIS 

RICK WAKEMAN

WALTER/WENDY CARLOS 

DAFT PUNK 

TONY BANKS 

STEPHEN SONDHEIM

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Oooh, Yavar's gonna make you regret that statement.

Probably, yeah. Bracing myself for recommendations of scores in that idiom! :)

This is a funny thread to revisit. 

John Williams

Jerry Goldsmith 

James Horner

John Barry

Danny Elfman

Elmer Bernstein

Alan Silvestri

Bruce Broughton

Basil Poledouris

John Carpenter 

Honorable mentions to Stu Phillips And the Star Trek TOS Composers for their television scores. 

Sometimes the more I hear from Silvestri and Elfman, the less I like their whole body of work.  My appreciation for them is limited to a finite era or number of scores. 

Bruce Broughton has a lot of stuff that doesn’t interest me. But the ones that do are superb.   I wish he had, I don’t know, done different projects or evolved his career differently or something. 

The more I hear from John Barry, the more I wish I’d listened sooner.  My esteem for him is rising.   I seem to be never disappointed with him. 

John Carpenter isn’t always a great listen apart from the films, and musically, he’s.. well he’s John Carpenter. But his films are HIS films thanks to his music.   I did get to see him and his boys live and they blows the roof off the creepy old theater. 

I feel like I could add Golden Age composers (and Bernard Herrmann) but I’m a child of the 70s and 80s, and I am woefully unfamiliar with them.  Sometimes I start to sample Golden Age stuff, but without love for the films, it just doesn’t immediately connect with me.  

I might like Herrmann but I’ve only seen like one movie he’s scores. Shameful. 

A top 10? Alphabetical.

• John Barry
  • Danny Elfman
  • Jerry Goldsmith
  • Bernard Herrmann
  • James Horner
  • James Newton Howard
  • Thomas Newman
  • Howard Shore
  • Alan Silvestri
  • John Williams

1 - John Williams

2 - Jerry Goldsmith

3 - Ennio Morricone

4 - Bernard Herrmann

5 - Erich Wolfgang Korngold

6 - Max Steiner

7 - Miklós Rózsa

8 - Don Davis

9 - Howard Shore

10 - Elliot Goldenthal

1. John Williams

2. Max Steiner

3. Bernard Herrmann

4. Mikkos Rozsa

5. Nino Rota

6. Ennio Morricone 

7. Dmitrti Tiomkin 

8. Henry Mancini 

9. Elmer Bernstein

10. John Barry

HM: Jerry Goldsmith, Alex North, Victor Young, Alfred Newman, Franz Waxman, Eric Wolfgang Korngold.

Some crazy nostalgia in this thread. 

Off the top of my head:

Ennio Morricone

John Williams

James Newton Howard

Michael Giacchino

Hans Zimmer

John Powell

Alexandre Desplat

Thomas Newman

Danny Elfman

Jerry Goldsmith

John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith are invariably the top two. The other eight, in no particular order:

Elliot Goldenthal

James Horner

Danny Elfman

Bernard Herrmann 

Miklos Rozsa

Franz Waxman

Ennio Morricone 

Alex North

Lots of great composers here's my list:

1. John Williams (obviously)
  2. James Horner
  3. Jerry Goldsmith
  4. John Powell
  5. Howard Shore
  6. Alan Silvestri
  7. Michael Giacchino
  8. Ennio Morricone
  9. Bernard Herrmann
  10. Hans Zimmer

Not adding Tiomkin, Rozsa or North as I'm not really familiar with them. There's also more recent composers who could enter this top 10 one day like Göransson, Kaska, McNeely (who sadly didn't compose that much) but I'm waiting for more scores.

1. Jerry Goldsmith - there is no alternative. Basic Instinct to Under Fire. His batting average with home runs is second to none. And unlike others, I consider the 90s to be his strongest time.

2. Hans Zimmer - from Black Rain to Interstellar. What a range of approaches and musical styles. From Thin Red Line back to Rain Man. An amazing composer sadly taken down recently by a corporate instinct and a sense that he needs to 'innovate' with every project.

3. Patrick Doyle - a genius with orchestral dynamics. His early 1990s scores - Dead Again, Indochine,  etc. are works of art. He lost his way in the 2000s but the strength of those early works will inevitably put him on this list.

4. Elliot Goldenthal - there is no stronger run than EG's 1992-1998 set of blockbusters. And one doesn't often reinvent the language of film scoring.

5. John Williams - I tend to take his amazingness for granted as he is such an ever present beautiful artist. No words are required.

6. James Horner - innovative, visceral, sensitive, plagiaristic, experimental. He is all these. A real titan of scoring.

7. Alan Silvestri - again, someone who made their mark in the 80s and 90s but Silvestri's work on Van Helsing and Tomb Raider 2 are cool. A bit of a rut recently, and understandable.

8. JNH - another one easy to take for granted. From Outbreak to Snow White, from Fugitive to Maleficient, JNH is a professional. I do sometimes he wish he was less professional.

9. Trevor Jones - a magnificent, chameleonic composer. Starting out with dark orchestral works for Excalibur and Dark Crystal, graduating into very impactful synth compositions (Missisippi Burning, Sea of Love) to orchestral/pop mega hits (Mohicans) to the largest orchestra compositions known to man (Dark City)

10. Christopher Young - a brilliant composer, so tender with lyricism, so hard with abject horrors - orchestrational talent and skills to spare

Honourable mentions to Morricone, Carpenter, McNeely, Broughton etc.

On 11/02/2023 at 12:04 PM, Thor said:

I can't remember if I ever shared my top 10 list here, or in another similar thread

On 25/07/2012 at 6:59 PM, Thor said:

These things change continually, and what is my top 10 now may not be so in 6 months (except the ones at the top). So right now, it would look something like this:

1. JOHN WILLIAMS (completist)

2. Danny Elfman (completist)

3. Hans Zimmer

4. Elliot Goldenthal (completist)

5. James Horner

6. Jerry Goldsmith

7. Alan Silvestri

8. Franz Waxman

9. James Newton Howard

10. Basil Poledouris

Vangelis would have been in there, but I feel it's too limiting to call him 'just' a film composer, so I decided to omit him in this particular case.

On 21/10/2013 at 1:39 PM, Thor said:

These things always change a bit, but maybe something like this:

1. John Williams

2. Danny Elfman

3. Elliot Goldenthal

4. Hans Zimmer

5. James Horner

6. James Newton Howard

7. Georges Delerue

8. Jerry Goldsmith

9. Alan Silvestri (old-style Silvestri, i.e.)

10. Franz Waxman

Although, to be perfectly honest, right now Zimmer is probably right behind Williams in terms of what I play.

On 11/02/2023 at 7:11 PM, Andy said:

I feel like I could add Golden Age composers (and Bernard Herrmann) but I’m a child of the 70s and 80s, and I am woefully unfamiliar with them.  Sometimes I start to sample Golden Age stuff, but without love for the films, it just doesn’t immediately connect with me.  

I might like Herrmann but I’ve only seen like one movie he’s scores. Shameful. 

Although I know a large part of Herrmann's works (not just for film), the movies scored by him, which I have seen, are just: Citizen Kane, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Vertigo, Psycho, Fahrenheit 451, Sisters, and Taxi Driver. I think I can recommend all of them, if you want to sample his works together with the movies they were written for, although some of them have aged better than the others. In my opinion, among the movies that I've mentioned, Vertigo and Psycho both are the best movies and have the best scores. 

I'm not as familiar with some composers as I probably should be, that said, I've seen a lot of films all the big guns have done scores for, and only a few have made me actively seek out soundtracks separate from the film.

1. John Williams - Few, if any, other film composers have his level of craftsmanship. I also enjoy his scores the most of any composer separate from the film. They are endlessly musically interesting.

2. Bernard Herrmann - Also very listenable removed from the film. He lacks JW's range, but makes up for it by being extremely good at writing like Bernard Herrmann

3. James Horner - Great melodic gifts, great orchestrations and counterpoint (before his world music phase). Just always fun to listen to.

4. Jerry Goldsmith - I am not as enamored by him as some here are, but I recognize skill when I hear it. His Star Trek scores are top notch. I wish he had a bit more counterpoint in his writing, and I think his woodwind writing is a little weak.

5. Alex North - I'm listing him almost exclusively for his score to Dragonslayer and the dropped score to 2001. I'm not familiar enough with his other stuff to comment. Those two are masterpieces.

6. Howard Shore - I only like his scores to the LotR trilogy, but they're so good, he gets 6th just for them. All the faults and foibles I find in Wagner are present in Shore's work. He could be no. 2 if he ever really learned how to compose. (jesting....slightly)

7. Michael Kamen - Also very listenable outside the films. Had the misfortune to write very, very good scores to three films that had hit pop songs attached to them, overshadowing his work (although I believe he co-wrote the songs for Robin Hood, and Three Musketeers). His score to Highlander is fantastic. Highlander is fantastic, actually (so are the Queen songs). X-Men and Die Hard are also underrated. He used orchestration as counterpoint, a real genius, and gone too soon.

8. Miklós Rózsa - Ben Hur alone is enough to get him here. I've not heard everything he did, but everything I've heard has been great. Classic Hollywood sound.

9. Ralph Vaughan-Williams - I'm cheating a bit, but he's one of my all-time favorite composers, and did work on 11 films, including Scott of the Antarctic, which became the basis for his 7th symphony.

10. James Newton Howard - Not the biggest fan, but he comes out with a good one from time to time. I really like King Kong and his more recent score to Jungle Cruise. Solid, if somewhat uninspired.

1,000,000. Hans Zimmer - He seems like a nice enough guy, and I don't begrudge him finding a way to make a lot of money, but I'll never forgive him for what he's done to film music for the past decade and a half.

1. John Williams 

2. Hans Zimmer 

3. James Newton Howard 

4. Alan Menken 

5. A.R. Rahman 

6. Danny Elfman

7. James Horner 

8. Alan Silvestri 

9. John Powell 

10. Michael Giacchino