Is John Williams a 'household name' in the US?

Quintus

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, and the guest was Tim Gun, host of Project Runway (a fashion reality show for those that don't know). He mentioned that one of the winners has become "practically a household name." It made me think that the people really involved in something don't have an accurate idea of its popularity, because I have never heard of the designer (in fact I forget her name. He said it was the winner of season 4 I think).

Justin Bieber has become a household name, but if you started singing his music, I wouldn't recognize it. I could pick his face out of a crowd of Waldos, for sure, but I don't know his music.

Justin Bieber has become a household name, but if you started singing his music, I wouldn't recognize it. I could pick his face out of a crowd of Waldos, for sure, but I don't know his music.

Ditto

I only ended up finding out how Baby Baby Baby goes because Weird Al put it in a polka medley, otherwise I'd still be completely clueless

Actually, there are not "enough," not any more. Music in schools is a dying art and has been for decades. You may just live in a more affluent area than I grew up in. Kudos; enjoy them high'r taxes. Whether the band directors actually introduce their students to John Williams through their band music and lessons, that remains to be seen.

That's quite possible. My metropolitan area is flanked by three majors universities, a huge tech/biotech research park, and is a an uncharacteristic beacon of light in the otherwise dim deep south of the USA.

And before that I was in California.

So I guess I'm the worst person to look around me and point out artistic trends.

Actually, there are not "enough," not any more. Music in schools is a dying art and has been for decades. You may just live in a more affluent area than I grew up in. Kudos; enjoy them high'r taxes. Whether the band directors actually introduce their students to John Williams through their band music and lessons, that remains to be seen.

Bawling