Is John Williams a 'household name' in the US?

Quintus

Something in the recent NBC interview suggested he is - the narrator spoke of him as, "the world's best known composer", or words to that effect. So is Williams known in America, say like Andrew Lloyd Webber is known here in the UK? Or like Andre Previn was known thirty years ago? I'm just curious.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not too sure about either one of the above posts. I believe John Williams' work is something anyone can recognize but not many know who he is until you mention some of his scores. As for Zimmer, he's known for doing many of today's films but his scores and his themes are no where near as memorable.

It's hard to me to say because obviously in my family I have made him a household name. But I will say that most of the people I have encountered have been able to produce JW's name (i.e. if we're talking about Jaws and I say the music is great, they'll respond by saying "yeah JW is awesome" or something).

um,yes. JW is a household name. Kids inevitably walk into my classroom and already know who he is and what he wrote

So, on more thinking, yes - he's a household name. I'm talking about kids who come to me without prior knowledge. In every job I've held they have heard his name and know some major works by him. If they haven't heard of him - they do by the time they leave me. He, Zimmer, Shore, Horner, Goldsmith, Herrmann etc. I do a year long study with grade 8 where they listen to works, and compose short cues 'in the style' of.

I would say so. That is, I'd be willing to bet he's probably at least somewhere in the top ten orchestral composers familiar to the average American. Maybe even top five. Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, John Williams?

In terms of film composers, Morricone is arguably more famous in Europe than in the US. Vice versa for Williams, I would guess. But of the two, I'd guess further that Williams is the biggest global household name. If you can talk about 'household names' as far as film composers and orchestral music are concerned.

Yeah, in Germany only film buffs will know who John Williams is (and even there you stand a fair chance they mix the name up with the Hitchcock actor), but Morricone is a household name...as is, i'm afraid, Hans Zimmer nowadays.

Neither in Finland. Everybody knows John Williams. Germany is still in the 70's.

Do you still have that constant buzzing in your ear? That may explain the delusions... :whistle:

People know the tunes, sure, but what they don't know is that one man is behind them. Confirmed more times than I'd like to remember.

Karol

I dunno, in the age of the internet people know a lot more random stuff. Like the name of the guy who writes all the memorable themes. It helps that Williams gets a good amount of exposure--Obama's inauguration, Fenway's 100th anniversary, the Brian Williams interview, etc.

Don't you teach choir though? So your kids are probably more musically informed than the general public. Especially if you've performed his music before.

I do but I was specifically referring to the kids I teach that are not in ensembles because they don't really like music.

Hanz is NOT a household name, John Williams might be to some degree but not greatly

People know the tunes, sure, but what they don't know is that one man is behind them. Confirmed more times than I'd like to remember.

Karol

Yes this definitely seems the most accurate so far.

I don't think so. I think the only composer that comes close to JW's recognition is Danny Elfman.

I'm sorry but please tell me you're joking.

It's true. Probably has to do with his distinctive style, and the fact that he usually gets a long main titles sequence where there are few/no sound effects to compete with his score. People know JW first, Danny Elfman second, Hans Zimmer third.

I'm not too sure about either one of the above posts. I believe John Williams' work is something anyone can recognize but not many know who he is until you mention some of his scores. As for Zimmer, he's known for doing many of today's films but his scores and his themes are no where near as memorable.

So why is he the most popular composer of today's generation? Nobody knows his music!

Alas the answer is no. You are giving too much credit to general audiences these days if you think they give a flying fuck about anybody apart from actors.

Forget composers, many people don't even know the name of the director of the film they just saw neither do they care to find out.

I can say this though, anybody, who is even slightly inclined towards film music knows his name, but then he would also know the name of Zimmer.

So Williams is no more or less famous than any of his contemprory film composers. More people definitely know Miley Cyrus and Gaga and even Jersey Shore than John Williams. If that doesn't make you feel terrible about people, nothing will.

It's true. Probably has to do with his distinctive style, and the fact that he usually gets a long main titles sequence where there are few/no sound effects to compete with his score. People know JW first, Danny Elfman second, Hans Zimmer third.

I can only speak for what I know from personal experience, whether from hanging out with my non-film music interested friends or noticing media exposure/lack thereof.

As such, I have never encountered a non-film (music) interested person who had heard about Zimmer. Unless I had told him or her first. Elfman, maybe once or twice at the max, usually in relation to emo favourite NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Williams a few more times, but really more the films and themes themselves than his name. But the composer that has the most exposure among these people -- by FAR! -- is good ol' Ennio Morricone. I think there's a culture crash between the US and Europe on this matter, at least my little part of Europe.

But even if Williams isn't a household name by...uhm, name, he's very much a household presence in music; an integral part of popular culture -- whether it's a teenager using a HARRY POTTER ringtone on her cell or a guy teasing his girlfriend on the beach by humming the two-note shark theme as he approaches her in the water.

I've seen polls such as "Do you know who John Williams is ?"

And the majority didn't...and if when they did, it'd often be like : " isn't he some famous composer who wrote Star Wars and Back to the Future ?"

It's so obvious for us that everybody should know whom he is, but the reality is sooo far from that !

I think in France, sadly he isn't that well-known...

In my family alone, if it weren't for my horn tributes, I think nobody would know about him

I'd say anyone who's a bit of a movie geek and likes the Star Wars/Indiana Jones movies and other Spielberg films knows who JW is

Joe Sixpack truck driver probably doesn't

JW was also on TV for a while (Evening at Pops)

I'd say anyone who's a bit of a movie geek and likes the Star Wars/Indiana Jones movies and other Spielberg films knows who JW is

Joe Sixpack truck driver probably doesn't

JW was also on TV for a while (Evening at Pops)

Those Pops shows were never shown over here, but yeah, I can imagine it helped his exposure in the US.

Damn, I just realized the topic headline said 'the US'....I missed that point; I was talking on a more global scale.

It's difficult to give an objective answer. I have been a soundtrack fan for close to 20 years, and so my family has become familiar with the major players as a result of living with me and my interests for that long. I have never lived in a household that does not have an obsessed soundtrack fan living with them. So I don't know.

And I don't care. You guys want to speculate, though, and sound smart, go ahead.

I think it's a very interesting topic, but the problem is that there are no statistics or empiry to underline the argument. So as you say, it will only amount to speculation based on where you are in the world, who you hang out with, what media exposure you are witness to etc. -- a purely subjective experience.

More active filmgoers might know the name, or like someone said above, fans of Star Wars all know who he is. He's far from household though. His music is everywhere, much is identifiable, but not the name itself.

I'd say at this point Zimmer is probably more well known with the contemporary crowd. The Dark Knight Rises is sitting at #4 on Amazon's bestsellers in music. Not soundtracks, but all genres. Right below Kidz Bop 22 :P

I'd say at this point Zimmer is probably more well known with the contemporary crowd. The Dark Knight Rises is sitting at #4 on Amazon's bestsellers in music. Not soundtracks, but all genres. Right below Kidz Bop 22 :P

Wow, that is impressive.

Depressing? Get a life. The #4 album on Amazon's list is a FILM SCORE. Not a songtrack soundtrack of Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez songs. You should be happy at this prospect, not crying in your coffee that it's Zimmer.

Besides, Zimmer can be a gateway drug to other soundtrack artists. If someone buys Zimmer because they like listening to background music, they will eventually fan out and buy other composers' works and may find out that the older stuff is better. Or they may simply like Zimmer's rock anthemic similarity to other heavier music, and stay in the kiddie pool of soundtracks.

Point is, soundtracks are being sold. Why so sad?

Well, you know what they say. One man's crap is another man's caviar.

Be warned, these days scientists can prove the lack of dynamic, melody, harmony and variety in music.

Depressing? Get a life. The #4 album on Amazon's list is a FILM SCORE. Not a songtrack soundtrack of Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez songs. You should be happy at this prospect, not crying in your coffee that it's Zimmer.

Besides, Zimmer can be a gateway drug to other soundtrack artists. If someone buys Zimmer because they like listening to background music, they will eventually fan out and buy other composers' works and may find out that the older stuff is better. Or they may simply like Zimmer's rock anthemic similarity to other heavier music, and stay in the kiddie pool of soundtracks.

Point is, soundtracks are being sold. Why so sad?

Agreed!