Submit your questions to John Williams via ClassicFM on Facebook

mahler3

sorry pub...

Hey did any of JWfan's questions end up to the show? I heard some names but didn't recognize them.

I think mine was - I asked: "How would you contrast our current state of film scoring and forecast it into a future trend?" and it was at about 1:15 (or so - going off of memory) in the interview. I think more questions got asked then were credited and it was edited down to similar topics. For example, I asked what was it like working with Herrmann and JW described what it was like working with him without specifically being asked. So that made me wonder if there were more questions asked it they just edited it down to maximize content.

If you really want a good interview with J.W., then read the transcript of the Films And Filming 1978 interview.

I just read this article - it was great! I really learned alot and was surprised to hear that JW almost scored Ridley Scott's Alien. How different a film that would have been had he scored it but to be honest, Goldsmith's score was one of the best of the sci-fi genre. I was lined up to score "Meteor" but that ultimately went to Rosenthal. Since he had that one lined up, I wonder if he got fired from it.

Just finished listening to this, and I'm actually pretty impressed. It's a very laid back session, and despite the lack of anything truly revelatory, it completely avoided the usual stuff (working with Spielberg, making the Indy theme).

I think the only thing they didn't touch upon that I'd have liked was his views on expanded releases. Not in the sense of "where the fuck are the missing Indy Cues?", but whether he likes/supports the idea of his full work on a score being made available. But I guess it's not very applicable for a general audience.

Overall, good job :)

Interviewer was good! But questions were not very focused..... (considering it was such a long interview)

It would be great for him to ask JW some more technical questions...... orchestration..... process..... themes and underscore. How long do you have - How do you divide your time.

I also think some of the answers he gave to questions like... what music do you listen to are misleading. Obviously large portions of Williams work are in the style of Holst/Copland/Stravinsky/ John Adams. So unless he only hears these composers in temped score ( A.I has Steve Reich passages) he isn't really giving consisten answers.

Not to be critical but each time JW gets this question from an interviewer he has a different answer although the concensus is generally Haydn, Bach, Eastern European composers Prokofiev, Stravinsky.. and then there is Holst/ Vaugn Williams.....

We will never know for sure but Williams is certainly influenced by these composers - "standing on the shoulders of giants"!

Interviewer was good! But questions were not very focused..... (considering it was such a long interview)

It would be great for him to ask JW some more technical questions...... orchestration..... process..... themes and underscore. How long do you have - How do you divide your time.

I also think some of the answers he gave to questions like... what music do you listen to are misleading. Obviously large portions of Williams work are in the style of Holst/Copland/Stravinsky/ John Adams. So unless he only hears these composers in temped score ( A.I has Steve Reich passages) he isn't really giving consisten answers.

Not to be critical but each time JW gets this question from an interviewer he has a different answer although the concensus is generally Haydn, Bach, Eastern European composers Prokofiev, Stravinsky.. and then there is Holst/ Vaugn Williams.....

We will never know for sure but Williams is certainly influenced by these composers - "standing on the shoulders of giants"!

Someone above mentioned Williams USC interview. That one was much better from a "technical standpoint" he describes it in better detail.

Richard!? Bad Summer?

Tommy is more than qualified and is over 40! A simple Google search would have revealed his expansive CV.

Anyway, I stand by billing it as unique and something extra special. How often do we get such a slick, conversational and revealing interview presented to us in a generous two hour broadcast, and with so many excellent 'original' recordings? If some of it was repeated then both JW and Tommy actually highlighted it as being just that. When chatting with somebody in such a friendly and familiar way that's bound to happen.

I personally loved the format too, it could've oh so easily been something along the lines of "that was and this is".

In other news, only 2 months until Lincoln and a concert of all Williams music with the LSO. It's a great year to be a JWFan! :-)

As jwfan's Exec., it is my duty...to point out alternatives.

Great interview. I really recommend it for any JW/film music fan. Things i really liked:

1. The music in the interview. He talks about how he played piano on the To Kill a mocking bird score, then we hear it. Very nice!
  2. Talked and played some of his early works (fiddler, family plot, can't remember all), but after the whole interview, i feel i got a good interview and listen to highlights of earliest works to his more modern.
  3. Really liked the story of his working with Hitchcock and "Benny", and his wife's interaction with him.
  4. Liked how he gave plug for Alfred Newman, saying he doesn't get to listen to much music, but does appreciate AN's work.

I think my favorite was how it incorporated topics and music starting from very early on (Fiddler), Hitchcock, Disaster Movies, Spielberg....Harry Potter.

Really nice, recommended if you haven't listened yet.

• 1 month later...

Oooh Johnny listens to Thomas Newman! :)

So they listen to each other's scores...

SNOOZEMAN heart.png

you should've seen my face when he said it... lol

I can relate. ^^ It's been on my mind since then...

so glad to see you here, householdcat! hope you'll stick around... and I'm glad parts of the TN appreciation thread made it to your tumblr :thumbup:

Hi, thank you. :)

Let's say I stumbled upon the board today.