Submit your questions to John Williams via ClassicFM on Facebook

mahler3

Tommy Pearson is interviewing John Williams for ClassicFM on Thursday (LA Time), and ClassicFM are inviting their Facebook fans to submit questions. Go for it! :yes:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151084563549260&set=a.433117119259.201606.6569469259&type=1&theater

Good ones Maurizio. The ones I would ask were basically put by this fellow David Kay... But some very good ones overall. Though some of them, the more well informed fan would already know the answer ;)

Questions submitted - but I'll bet they won't ask questions from uber fans because frankly, we are asking very detailed questions that few care to know (and I do hope I'm wrong). Does anyone know how to actually hear the interview or when it will be broadcast?

Yeah, they'll probably pick mostly the "fun" ones. I definitely don't think they're going to ask him something like "What do you think of people who look down on your compositions?", but I hope they ask him about his thoughts on current film music...if he's even paying much attention. I know he's said he doesn't really watch movies much.

I think this interview will be a little more in-depth than the typical "What was your favorite film to compose for, which is the most meaningful, etc." Definitely looking forward to it and I like the fact they're taking questions from fans.

I like how once we started asking questions most of the "what's your favorite film score" questions that have already been answered time and time again stopped coming. It's like these people realized they were way out of their league. :lol:

Anywho, I really hope Mr. Pearson asks some of our questions.

My question would be why did he suddenly stop conducting film music concerts with LSO years ago, and apparently won't do it again ... :mellow:

He finds long distance travelling too uncomfortable.

Tommy's questions will be very good, worry not. Hopefully he'll use some of those good ones posted on the link. I doubt the 'Thomas & the King' one will make the cut though.

- Tim

Where's the fucking film version of The Never-Feast, old man?!

:lol: I can see you taking him by the collar of his turtleneck and yelling that to his face.

My question would be why did he suddenly stop conducting film music concerts with LSO years ago, and apparently won't do it again ... :mellow:

So this has actually been officially announced (by JW or his agent)? Must've missed it ... :blink:

Where's the fucking film version of The Never-Feast, old man?!

:lol: I can see you taking him by the collar of his turtleneck and yelling that to his face.

i read that, and then looked at his avatar.

And the mental image that came to my mind should never have come! :folder:

So this has actually been officially announced (by JW or his agent)? Must've missed it ... :blink:

It has never been "officially" announced, but yep, this is the reason why he hasn't left the US soil since 2005.

Tommy Pearson says on Facebook:

"Hi everyone - thank you so much for all your questions. I was able to put about 5 of them to John Williams in yesterday's interview. Of course, I can't promise how many of them will make it into the final edit but I hope you'll listen out for the programme later this month - Williams is a fascinating and charming guest, talking about his extraordinary and unparalleled career."

Yay!

The air date is August 27th (UK Bank Holiday) between 8 and 10pm (BST). I'm looking forward to it and hopefully a JWFan question will be answered.

:music:

Sorry if this has been posted here or elsewhere in the forum, but I just ran across it:

http://www.classicfm.com/composers/williams/guides/john-williams-life-movies-infographic/

"From Harry Potter to Starwars, John Williams has probably composed the most successful sound tracks in history. But do you know how many movies he's worked on, how many awards he's won and when? We've put his whole career in one neat image.

John Williams' career in film music includes scores for Star Wars, Indiana Jones, E.T., Jaws and many more. Not only that, he's also got a formidable tally of Oscars, Baftas and Grammys too."

(Click on image for higher-resolution version)

john-williams-life-in-movies-infographic-1345825957-custom-1.png

Also it should be 47 Oscar Nominations, not 42, although 42 is the amount of Original Score nominations, 5 for songs. Oddly the correct number 47 is mentioned in his timeline at 2011 entry for Tintin and Warhorse.

Oh of course, silly me. But for the sake of clarity they should have put 47 in there. Now you can get the impression that he has won 5 out of 42, not 47. Because you know that would be...tragic.

EDIT:

It seems that people outside UK can't listen to Classic FM. At least I couldn't when I tried so obviously Finnish people are not welcome to the channel. Preposterous I call it! Preposterous!

You are right!! People outside UK can't listen! Perhaps someone in the UK will record it please?

Oh, FYI - you can just enter a UK zip code and it will play. I am listening now from California! I used W11 2BQ as the zip and it worked.

Great! Though odd that you can bypass their limitation so easily. But I am not complaining. :)

Interesting stuff these JWs early family memories. Again Williams is really a great and interesting speaker and you could listen to his voice for hours. :D

im just using a UK proxy to listen(same method I used to watch the Olympics), but typing in zipcode woulda been easier. Didn't know you could do that. I would record it, but I have to go to class about halfway through it.

Listening too from Norway! Right now, it's Bernstein's TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD.

More about the early years, PRETTY PLEASE!!! Would be awesome to hear him talk about DADDY-O and other assignments that aren't often talked about.

Crossing my fingers that it won't just be a long string of anecdotes we have heard a million times before....and just the famous things.